Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Thinice
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planned this journey because I fancied a twisty, high climbing route away from main roads, that won't take up too much of a Sunday (2 to 3 hours depending on brew stops ). I know it's not everyone’s cup of tea but it does it for me and is particularly suited to the Dominator.

The first part of the journey was from Burnley side of Pendle Hill "A" (hence the witchy title) to Slaidburn via Newchurch "B" (where you can regularly see a couple of old witches), Barley, Downham and Grindleton.

Nice twisty roads up and around the big end of Pendle where there were plenty of walkers trekking up the big end. Arriving in Slaidburn "C", I stopped for some light relief (decent toilets there, and stop tittering at the back!) and stood in awe with a handful of fellow bikers as a cavalcade of what must have been over 100 bikes came past. They had a right good mix of bikes from a little 2 stroke Francis Barnet to the most modern BMW,s it seemed to go on for ages.

Out of Slaidburn and up The Skaithe road and onto the start of the 11 mile, 800ft climb twisting and turning up to around 1300ft above sea level, this photo "D" is looking up just before it gets seriously steep (whoopee)

This photo "E" is looking back towards Slaidburn and that magnificent road.

Over the summit with spectacular views "F" towards the Lake District and down towards Bentham, some nice looking trails to the right to be explored another time.

Before you get to Bentham there is a right turn on to Menwith Lane for about 4 miles towards Keasden then another right turn up Keasden Road and the return leg.

More cracking roads, with some nice long straights for you speed freaks (not me though), taking you 15 miles back up to the lofty heights right over the rocky peak "G" then dropping down to Stocks Reservoir, just past the res is a brew stop "H" but watch out for the gravel that has accumulated in the road on the bend (it nearly had me). Over the sweetly named Stephen Moor (I'm sure he was in my class at junior school!). Dropping down through Holden (not Amanda unfortunately) and into the very pretty village of Sawley "I" with its ruined Abbey (I thought Santander had taken it over?) then it's a 13 mile hoot over the nick of Pendle "J" (not sure if the "nick" is a reference to Beelzebub or just that it looks like a bum) and home for tea.

All in all it's about 60 miles and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Great roads those thinice :thumbright:

We'll have to meet up with some of the others for a ride round there. It's almost local for us :D

Give us a shout when you're next up there

TA! Shel

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I think MOM dated one or two of those girls.

·
Registered
924 Posts
good write up mate, im not so far from the trough myself and keep meaning to head over that way, you might just have given me the inspiration :)

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Nice report thinice, some fabulous photos, those roads look well worth the ride north

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
practically my back garden up there, I know the roads well and they are good for any bike. I can feel a north west posse meet coming on - "the 3 passes of Bowland run". That big group of bikes - I think it was charity run from a bike club based in Fleetwood - an annual event raising money for blackpool hospital - just googled it The Hercules Run Homepage

I just watched Countryfile on telly - there's a feature on Bowland next week.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know the roads well and they are good for any bike. I can feel a north west posse meet coming on - "the 3 passes of Bowland run".
I see a plan forming......

Smashing report.
Been over the roads many times.
The nearby Salter Fell is worth a visit as well. But I am sure you know that.:cool:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Oi dont leave me out :D I'll be up for a run around there too :thumbup:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I see a plan forming......

Smashing report.
Been over the roads many times.
The nearby Salter Fell is worth a visit as well. But I am sure you know that.:cool:
I just realised I was up over these passes the same day these Pics were taken - I did most of it in reverse after first taking the Vara part way up the Salter Fell road - just pass the weight limited bridge but before it gets proper steep and gnarly. I decided discretion over valour. That and the fact I was on my own. I have some pics but my phone's PC cable has gone bust.:(

·
Registered
924 Posts
id be up for a posse outing to the trough

1 - 15 of 15 Posts