Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Met up with Lord Vader and [email protected] at the appointed hour. :thumbup: Vader made a real superhuman effort to be pleasant, :evil4: right up till the moment [email protected] arrived - then his Lordship roared CAFFINE LETS GO - and so it was off to the Ace to meet up with Whealie and get stuck into a decent Ace breakfast. :p

We made good time - so good in fact we had time for another cuppa before the course started :D

The bikes wait patiently for us to finish

(I'm have grief geting the pics to work - click on them and they should go large :shock: :D)

We warmed up with a little quiz - did you know car drivers were the most likely to be killed or seriously injured on the roads for example, not motorcyclists or pedestrians - and Alick the course leader tells Lord Vader if he doesnt drop the silly german accent he'll be out the door :D

The course was structured so that the basics were covered
DR ABC etc, and used as building stones leading up to the more traumatic
cases and culminating with the black art of removing the helmet of an unconscious morotcyclist :shock:

Stan decides Vaders arm is ok, its his head needs sortin out

Whealie hits on a stunning plan to get out of the washing up - SteveC looking worried as to what [email protected] is gonna do with that sling

Erm, has noone noticed the woman unconscious on the floor :confused:

Alick went through the ''log roll'' procedure - Whealie, Stan and Vader only heard ''who wants to roll Jayne on the floor'' and almost knocked Alick over getting to the ''patient'' :D

Neck and spine in line -

Dont get the judders now Vader whatever you do !!!!!!!!!

All the individual building blocks of the course were well delivered and well covered - the day was well paced, but with ample opportunity to ask questions and it was a good mix of the theoretical and the practical.

Next up was the recovery position and body check and a little bit of cpr on Annie - she did have a certain je ne sait quoi about her didnt she MacP :cool::D

SteveC checks for breathing

Whealie in action

BREATHE GAWD DAMMIT !!!!!!!!!

Removing the helmet - like a pro:

Neck and spine in line

opening the strap and keeping the head secure

And now our turn

Suport chin and neck, widen sides and ease up - it's not moving :confused:

Alick this lid wont move :confused::confused:

Lads you see that black thing under his chin :confused::confused:

Oh yeah

Ok that's called a strap - open that first, before trying to remove the helmet :thumbup:

:D:D:D:D:D

We have the proof now - we're certifiable :D:D:D

Back to front - Left to Right

StanBloke Lord Vader SteveC MacP Alpslapper Whealie [email protected]

It was a thoroughly enjoyable and excellent day. It was great to meet new faces and we picked up tons of information, and gained a wealth of knowledge and some practival experience.

Alick and Jayne were excellent trainers.

An excellent day all round.

If there's enough interest again sometime in the future I'd be more than happy to organise another day.

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Great report and piccies, nice to put some faces to names too, (even if they do look a "tadge" scary!):D

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
What a brilliant day
Thank you alp for organizing this,it was the best money i have spend in a long time
Pretty much covered everything i had questions on before and a lot more

oh alp,i am sure everyone on here knows that i need my head sorting(thanks for the pic:rolleyes:) and i did the thing with the strap on purpose to see if MacP was paying attention:D:D:D:cool:
I hope we could do another course maybe in autumn cause i just can not understand how any biker would not want to improve his/her first aid skills as we are in a group of society which is very likely to need such skills.I for one would attend again it was that good and i believe the more often you practice something the more likely you are doing it right/better when you need it
Thanks again Alp,top man:D

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Absolutely brilliant, looks like a very worth while day.

Guys if you want to organise another day give me a shout because teach all of that trauma care and a bit more to our mountain rescue teams in south wales so I can put something similar on without you having to pay for it it just may mean a bit of traveling for some people.

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
This was a totally enjoyable day :D:D:D.
Many thanks to Alps for setting this up, Top man.:headbang::headbang::headbang:.

Poor old Vader sat in the wrong place when the bandages came out, between MacP and me , we took no prisoners and it was a shame we ran out of kit or he would have looked like the Mummy.:D:D:D:D.

Thanks to all who attended for making this a superb event.:D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
What a brilliant day
Thank you alp for organizing this,it was the best money i have spend in a long time
Pretty much covered everything i had questions on before and a lot more

oh alp,i am sure everyone on here knows that i need my head sorting(thanks for the pic:rolleyes:) and i did the thing with the strap on purpose to see if MacP was paying attention:D:D:D:cool:
I hope we could do another course maybe in autumn cause i just can not understand how any biker would not want to improve his/her first aid skills as we are in a group of society which is very likely to need such skills.I for one would attend again it was that good and i believe the more often you practice something the more likely you are doing it right/better when you need it
Thanks again Alp,top man:D
yup if theres another i'll deffo be there great informative pics ,a lot of what you learnt seemed to be coverd by the emergancy first responder course i took ..but i wopuld loved to learn more..so if theres another later in the year i'll be there

·
17,680 Posts
Absolutely brilliant, looks like a very worth while day.

Guys if you want to organise another day give me a shout because teach all of that trauma care and a bit more to our mountain rescue teams in south wales so I can put something similar on without you having to pay for it it just may mean a bit of traveling for some people.
any excuse for a ride out is a good one:cool:

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
...snip (even if they do look a "tadge" scary!):D
Us? :eek: Scary?!? :kermit:

Nah... We're all little flowers, :flower:cool cats
:cat: and pink bunnies:bunny:

Oh, what am I saying, the Pink Bunny couldn't make it :D

Thanks a mill Alpslapper, for organising this for us and making it so close to my home that I had to arrive late - you put in an heroic effort!
:notworthy:

Nice to meet you :)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Bike xrv thanks to Alpslapper for organising this. Fantastic day.
I never mentioned this there but it really is worth doing whatever you can. My wife spent four months in hospital and took more than two years to recover from a head injury in a car accident. So, although it seemed like I was going to be livin with a cabbage at the time, there was no lasting damage.
I also know a bloke, Andy Barrow, who broke his neck playing rugby at 17, leaving him tetraplegic (cannot use his fingers properly either). He is now in the Great Britain wheelchair rugby team.
Anyway my photos, all in high res if anyone wants any, are on Flickr. I won't post them all here because they echo Tom's.
One though, of Stan, close up, has to be included

Also, here is the definitive video of how to remove a helmet, including Lord Vader and MacP forgetting to undo the strap. And just wait till the end when Vader just let's go of the poor bugger's head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjn5u4P-CQ

·
17,680 Posts
Bike xrv thanks to Alpslapper for organising this. Fantastic day.
I never mentioned this there but it really is worth doing whatever you can. My wife spent four months in hospital and took more than two years to recover from a head injury in a car accident. So, although it seemed like I was going to be livin with a cabbage at the time, there was no lasting damage.
I also know a bloke, Andy Barrow, who broke his neck playing rugby at 17, leaving him tetraplegic (cannot use his fingers properly either). He is now in the Great Britain wheelchair rugby team.
Anyway my photos, all in high res if anyone wants any, are on Flickr. I won't post them all here because they echo Tom's.
One though, of Stan, close up, has to be included

Also, here is the definitive video of how to remove a helmet, including Lord Vader and MacP forgetting to undo the strap. And just wait till the end when Vader just let's go of the poor bugger's head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjn5u4P-CQ

thats an old gestapo tourture tactic:D:D:D:D:D

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:D:D:D:D Whealie - superb :D

A bigger thanks goes to you lot for signing up and making it such a great day :D

But I will echo what you and a few others have said - it's a skill every single motorcyclist should possess - a well worthwhile investment, and the bottom line is it could save yours or someone elses life one day. Simple as that.

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
:sign5::sign5::sign5:.

Outstanding that man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D.

Still got that tune running round in my head :D, so hopefully some of what we were taught has stuck. :confused::confused::confused::D.

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
I never knew the helmet incident was being filmed....

Ohhh the shame! But it's okay - the one holding the helmet was incharge....

I waz only following the orders :)

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
Those are great Whealie :) Watching them has helped me go over it again and hopefully helped it get into memory :):)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts