Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Haines Manual doesn't seem to cover head races so I had to call the XRV Helpdesk a few times this weekend - otherwise known as Chad.
First thing he said made no sense. It was something about nuts, yolks and forks. I thought, I know how to make an omelette, it's these flippin' head races I have no idea about.
So the helpdesk technician used language I could understand. The forks apparently are: "those two long things sticking out the front that used to have the wheel at the other end" (I had used managed to get the wheel off all by myself). And the Yokes "are the bits holding those together at the top, where the handlebars (the bits you use to steer) are".
The helpdesk technician was very patient and I got there in the end.
I suspect the head races had been fitted by Mr Honda back in 1991 when the bike was built. They were rusted beyond belief with the larger bearing ring stuck in the top and the bottom and the smaller casing stuck to the bottom yoke. The Helpdesk suggested this called for Rommel, which I thought was bit drastic.
It turned out I need a dremmel, which I went and bought. Look at these little buggers.

One of them I cut though twice and managed to chisel out a hole the size of my little finger nail and yet still it remained stuck in there. What complete buggers these were to get out or off.
Anyway, I called the helpdesk with joy at my success and put the whole lot back together again in no time (relaying it via the helpdesk's wife, as the helpdesk was driving).
Yippee! I have fantastic steering.
Unfortunately I have no brakes, as I decided to give them an overhaul too (they were filthy and stuck together too) and one of the retaining bolts just won't come out and I have burred the end, so that is going to have the be drilled out and new one ordered.
But the key thing is that I did the head races all by myself, with only the aid of the XRV Helpdesk. I have a new word for when someone from this forum does something good. I think it should be Chadtastic.
Cheers mate.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
mmmmm yarrrhhhh prudy chadtastic thear matey :D

I can only say I admire such mechanical competence - I shudder to think of the damage I'd do to my alp if I went anywhere near it with a dremmel or a chad mallet :D :D :D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
well done dude mate im proud of ya:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:you did good

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
well done dude mate im proud of ya:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:you did good
He certainly did do well, when I did mine on the old TA I had, they were an absolute pig to do!

·
Hill Rider
3,112 Posts
Chadtastic!!!

Chad mallet???

I think I need to order a new dictionary as well as place an order for one of these new fangled mallets!

These mallets, they any good at getting seized fairing bolts out? as me don't want to drill towards fuel tank - 4 times :(

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
There are 3 bits of the process which are difficult.
1/ Getting the front wheel in the air so the bike is stable.
2/ Getting the bottom race off.
3/ Adjusting the things properly after reassembly.

The first isn't too bad with a centrestand and a jack, bit of a a git without though.

For the second I put the headstock (after removal from the bike) into a vice and use a large wood chisel and a mallet at the joint between the race and the stem, this acts like driving a thin wedge in. It only has to move a few mm and after that a pair of tyre levers will lift it another inch and then it'll lift off by hand. Heat can help if you need it.

The third needs good judgement or a socket that fits the top castellated nut. Make one from a large socket using a grinder and you can use a torque wrench, once to seat it, then loosen and re-adjust again to set it properly.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
For the second I put the headstock into a vice and use a large wood chisel and a mallet at the joint between the race and the stem, this acts like driving a thin wedge in. It only has to move a few mm and after that a pair of tyre levers will lift it another inch and then it'll lift off by hand. Heat can help if you need it.
Delicate work Yen!

I used a 4" angle grinder and a cutting disk. Funnily enough it came away with no problems :D

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Chad mallet!

:D

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Delicate work Yen!

I used a 4" angle grinder and a cutting disk. Funnily enough it came away with no problems :D
I'll be totally honest, angle grinders scare the brown stuff out of me. I used to cut metal samples with a skill saw, every day, for a living for about 4 years. I even sometimes did it laying on my back, often with the red hot bits falling on me at the end. I can quite happily use a skill saw with a stone cutting blade on a paving block using my trainer clad feet to hold it a few inches away, but angle grinders are for real men not me!:(

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are 3 bits of the process which are difficult.
1/ Getting the front wheel in the air so the bike is stable.
Garden spade with blade wedged on the top box mount, and the handle cable tied to a roof beam. No probs. Want to lower the bike, slide spade out. Want to raise it again, slide spade in.
You Essex boys, I don't know. Give them two spades and tell them to take their pick, and you confuse them.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
You Essex boys, I don't know. Give them two spades and tell them to take their pick, and you confuse them.
Are we talking take your pic of the spades or take a pick :dontknow: :scratch: Think I have lived in Essex to long.......:D

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Garden spade with blade wedged on the top box mount, and the handle cable tied to a roof beam. No probs. Want to lower the bike, slide spade out. Want to raise it again, slide spade in.
Put us in a round room and tell us to piddle in the corner!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts