Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and would like any comments on. :D .

Its a range of ideas to set the TA up for next year, and give options as well.

Things I'd like the bike to do:
  1. The full season of UK rallies, probably by trailer.
  2. Christmas and National meets.
  3. Erzberg "Konigsclasse", again probably by trailer.
  4. End to End (Ironbutt) ride.
  5. TBEC 12 hour Hare and Hounds, as an solo entry.
  6. LOTS of greenlanes and rides out :D .
So, where are we starting?

Well, my TA is currently a little poorly, and naked but for engine bars and sump guard. I have another TA, not poorly, just missing some bits. I have lots and lots of bits, some in better condition than others.

Plan:
  1. Building the best base bike possible from all these bits.
  2. Making some changes to the base bike to maximise its abilities to do the above tasks.
  3. Fixing up a complete range of spares which will also allow me to get to know my bike a lot better!
So in detail,
  • My 28000 mile 2 years abused mud/rally bike, 2000 model on an X plate becomes a "donor" bike.
  • My 15000 mile ex-commuter bike, 2001 model on a 51 plate becomes the base bike.
  • Immediate actions:
    • Drain coolant on donor (now called X) to allow RHS radiator and fan etc to be fitted to base bike (now called B), and flush/refill cooling system.
    • Connect PAIR hoses to close system off with PAIR bits removed. (Thanks Activmoto)
    • Remove all exhausts from X and refit to B
    • Remove front brakes, pads, hoses and master cylinder from X and replace on B. (Braided hose.)
    • Swap handlebars from X to B and refit controls.
    • Lube all control cables.
    • Swap headlamp units X to B, so well used bits are in the front line!
    • Swap seat lock from B panel for one from X to maintain key consistancy.
    • Fit X plastics, tank, rear unit, rack, etc.
    • Change oil and filter.
    • Fit engine bars, sump guard, pannier racks.
    • Repair panniers and set up to fit.
    • Fit indicators/mini indicators from X to B.
    • Fit tank and seat from B
    • Re-register new colour as Blue, from Black. (Blue is a faster off road TransAlp ;) .)
    • MOT, Insure, taxed until end Nov!, then re-tax.
    • Replace wheels, use B rear sprocket and carrier.
    • Do XRV Christmas event. :D :D :D
  • Other jobs to run along side the above:
    • Have X wheels rebuilt, using spokes/nipples that will hopefully not seize!
    • Choose/buy new front tyre to run with T63 rears.
    • Then fit new off road tyres/tubes, refit rimlock, pre "slime" tubes.
    • Sort forks/front suspension - emulators, new springs, new oil, neoprene gaiters, 50mm fork caps (Thanks to Wheeliebin and Activmoto), probably bushes and seals too.
    • "Chop the cat" (hot tube) to allow me to turn over rear suspension linkage. (Thanks Wheeliebin.)
    • Strip/clean/test various parts that may wear out/break/be damaged by rally use.
  • Improvement Actions:
    • Fit Pipercross air filter, and have the carb settings checked on a dyno to match with filter/exhaust chages, aiming for a flatter torque curve and no power dips.
    • Fit "Irridium" spark plugs.
    • Lay on and route "sealed end" pre-lubed control cables for clutch + throttle.
    • Change oil to fully synthetic, with K+N oil filter and magnetic sump plug.
    • Choose new rear shock unit, current favorite is a WP "street" unit, possibly with an external preload adjuster as an extra. (Hopefully thanks Xander :iconbiggrin: .)
    • Regrease all rear suspension bearings, including adding the extra bearing. (Again, thanks Activmoto.)
    • Do the rear linkage swap and fit extended fork caps.
    • Set up a more comprehensive tool/travel kit, including checked spares.
    • Set up a "race" set of spares to be carried when the bike travels by trailer to competitive events.
    • Get a half good bike trailer, and a tow bar for my car!
  • Spares/Repairs actions:
    • Strip and sort carbs from X.
    • Try to fabricate sheet steel/alloy side pannels, to keep "the elements" off electrical/electronic bits.
    • Check and fix oil burning etc from X engine, possibly to include new piston rings/bore hone etc. (Much learning to be had here :confused: .)
    • Eventually, all bits removed, revamped and replaced, ready for when B becomes a little "worn" and lots of the above tasks need to be completed in reverse! :D .
Thanks for reading so far, I've probably missed loads of bits out, any obvious blunders please feel free to point out!
I'm also going to try to photo-document the job, and record specifics, like bearing numbers etc as I go.

Wish me luck, and a large bank balance, I think I'm going to need it!!

:D :D :D :D :D .

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
With all that to do there is no chance of you joining us in playing:(

·
They say I talk too much.
334 Posts
I think I need to check valve play on the XL :p

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
So your not going to be bored for the next few months then ??!!!:D :D

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
a
    • Choose new rear shock unit, current favorite is a WP "street" unit, possibly with an external preload adjuster as an extra. (Hopefully thanks Xander :iconbiggrin: .
:D :D :D :D :D .

This you wont regret... best money i have ever spent on a bike... Wow do I sound like Atgreg or what?

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
This you wont regret... best money i have ever spent on a bike... Wow do I sound like Atgreg or what?
So KTM do something right then ???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
So KTM do something right then ???:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yeah they did not build something.. so that should not fall apart!!!

:D:thumbright::D:p:p:p:p

Actually it one of my reasons for going with WP is that KTM have them on all their bikes.. KTM is the race bike leader these days.. Suspension has a lot to do with winning a race.. so WP must be good

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Item 4,673: get a life
Miaow :D .

But I'm doing what I've been told strongly to do - rest my arm :( . 'specially if I'm going to get to race on the 18th.

Now, normally I just take things apart and hope its all going to work out. I'm not allowed to take (big ;) ) things apart yet, so I've had time to try and plan how they should be taken apart.

:D .

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
Item 4,673: get a life
Ignore him mate.:thumbup:
He's only jealous coz his mum said she'd get him one last year and it still has'nt turned up.:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: .

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Sounds great, it's a great way to get to know your bike and it's very satisfying ticking things off on a list.

How is the shoulder BTW? :)
and a great way to make more list and sub lists....and still nothing gets done:Dmudwiz you gonna need an extended sabbatical:cool:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Yeah they did not build something.. so that should not fall apart!!!
Trust me, that smug feeling soon passes when you find your bike covered in oil, all the way from the gearbox output shaft to the numberplate. ;-)

Which reminds me, the guy who's rebuilding my WP is taking his sweet time... Boyohboy does the standard shocker suck mightily once you're used to a real shock...

(Goes for the dommie too, that technoflex rear leg together with the progressive fork springs turned it into a completely new bike. Really.)

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Miaow :D .

But I'm doing what I've been told strongly to do - rest my arm :( . 'specially if I'm going to get to race on the 18th.
:D .
Hmmm is your arm better??????????????

If not why on earth are you going to put your poor damaged body through another race when you should be resting :rolleyes:.

Seriously if it is not better you could be doing more damage and running the risk of a recurrent problem.

Ok Naggy nag over.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
My,my you can do all that to a bike?;) I didn't understand about 80% of what you wrote but wish you very good luck with it. It's probably going to take most of the winter isn't it. Are you allowed to do it all in your kitchen? And best of luck with all your events next year.

My list of things to do........ clean the bike and spray it with that pink stuff to stop salt damage........or maybe if I'm really lucky Stormforce8 will do it for me (he's such a darling he's already started it for me).

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
My list of things to do........ clean the bike and spray it with that pink stuff to stop salt damage........or maybe if I'm really lucky Stormforce8 will do it for me (he's such a darling he's already started it for me).
Send him round to do mine when he's finished. I'll pm you my address. :D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
OUCH !!! I felt that and it wasn't even directed at me.

Bitchy-bitch...............:D
I know and coming from a man whose only friends he found on the internet, it was a bit much really. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts