Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm attracted to the Varadero as my Falco is just too uncomfortable and the Vara fairing seems to allow 90-100 mph cruising in comfort. My concern is that the off-road styling means that the exhausts are exactly where the panniers should go - photos I've seen seem to make the bike as wide as a bus - anyone managed to solve this with lower pipes, for example?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Not mine - as I've a Transalp. But with prices that Varadero's are going for it does me make we wonder...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Wicky,

I had a Vara 1000, old style 5 speed and it was freakin excellent. 2 up and fully packed for a week camping didn't slow it a bit.

The engine is lovely, the performance enough to scare the crap out of sportsbikes (if ridden with enthusiasm) the handling is fine.

Only gripes I had:
A bit thirsty = the later version is better
Its a bit top heavy and a bit too easy to topple over if you stall it etc
Build quality although better than most isn't full on Honda.

Came back from Isle of Man TT with son on the back and camping kit for a week. We got off of the Heysham ferry early morning and trolled along at a steady 90ish.. We met 3 lads on sportsbike who had got off of the same ferry at Brampton hut so a good 200 miles. We got there 5 minutes after them - I had to stop because my son fell asleep on the back:D (sign of how comfy she was) The 3 sportsbike riders said "how are you here just 5 minutes after us, we've been doing 135 in places" The couldn't believe we were there so soon after them :D and said" you must have been f'in caning the varadero!" No says I it was quite a steady ride :D

Bottom line is I'd have another one :D loved it.

The Vara is one of the most underated bikes out there:thumbup:

Cheers,

Paul:D

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Great bike for touring. you seem well aware of the plus points. (and there are many)
Regarding width. It obviously depends on the panniers you fit. How much do you want to carry?
My fully loaded SD01 is only slightly wider than the width at the mirrors.
Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I have just brought my 3rd vara and the 2nd early 6 speed, FI, non ABS model, they feel (are?) lighter & lower than the later ones. Great for the longer distance runs but a bit big & heavy for tight muddy (surfaced) lanes I often ride on. Partly a lack of confidence on my part in my ability to handle them. My Transalp is better at the lanes but not so comfortable for the longer non lane parts and with 1/2 the power of the vara has nothing like the grunt. Could do with the ability of one morphing into the other as appropriate to the road, at least they are both the same colour and year.
This time I will keep both for a while and try and convince my wife that perched on the back of a vara is almost as comfortable as the armchair on the back of our evo Harley Ultra, a great lump I am now finding too heavy to easily handle on the rougher Cotswold lanes.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
its a big comfortable road bike that can handle rough potholed back roads like in Ireland or east Europe its much more nimble than a gold wing pan European or anything of that nature its not as nimble as a transalp . it is the pick of the bunch when it comes to big adventure style bikes designed to carry 2 people and full gear long distances year in year out . any other make is a compromise but I might be bias . there is only one company who build great motorcycles and that is Honda the rest try god bless them but they do ok as a lot of people buy for the name to elevate their status in the world . try going around acting all hard on a Honda vtx 1800 it don't quite cut it if you want to be hard why you need a Harley the vtx 1800 might be more affordable and reliable and pull your arms off but you need the Harley if your going to pass yourself off as a hard nut motorcycle rebel who was born to be wild nothing moves you like a Harley . start talking about your new Honda varadero adventure bike at the golf club you will get frowned at and become unpopular you wont be part of the in gang because everyone knows Ze Germans build the best machines because they cost the most you don't have to me smart to figure that out for Christ sake vorsprung durch technik and all that old bollocks . you meet the nicest people on a Honda ? well I have met a few right geebags on them but there you go its not Honda's fault . not on hear mind great bunch of lads hear if they are on a transalp Africa twin or varadero they will probably grand chaps im talking about power rangers and gold wing types .

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am on my second Varadero, it's a 2012 white one and I love it. There is not another bike out there that I would want for my annual European adventures . That's why I recently purchased my SLR 650 to take a bit of the winterworkload off the big girl, not that she can't handle it, just that I can't get another new one so i'll be keeping this one for some time to come. Definitely without doubt I would recommend a Varadero to anyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am on first Varadero, 2003 i.e after Africa Twin and Pegaso 600 and i have the same opinion. I always searched a big bike capable to take me on a long trip without any major effort. And also it's an affordable bike.
Recently i test drived a 1200 gs of a friend. Apart from abs ,traction control and a bit more torque at low revs i haven't seen any thing exciting. And bmw costs twice the Vara

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Well you can load her up like me and yes than they are wide as a bus:toothy10:

but she still handled ok on our 2up trip through scotland.Brilliant bikes and i am sure you can get smaller paniers.

p.s. add some Scorpian cans with the baffle about a inch shorter than normal:cool: dont take the baffles out as your ears will bleed:toothy10:

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't have to think - Varadero is veeery comfortable bike, great suspension, acceleration on really pleasent level - I had transalp and it seems to be a little old. Varadero is my best bike I ever had.

Reactions: Mociclistu

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The Givi website isn't very informative, but I think the V35 side cases "curve under" the silencers. They're still pretty wide, but at least you get reasonable capacity. This photo isn't actually of a Vara 1000, but it demonstrates the idea.

preview_givi_syste_plx_b.jpg

In general I agree with most of the sentiments expressed above. A few years ago I was considering replacing my Vara and couldn't find anything that suited me better. Nowadays I'd prefer something a little lighter, and there are some good alternatives around if you can afford them.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Quote Dee Dub

'' Nowadays I'd prefer something a little lighter, and there are some good alternatives around if you can afford them.''

Its not illegal to say what you think they are
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there bulgariaboy :)

If you need to see how the Varadero looks with some 40 litres paniers, just say so and we will come up with some arrangement :) I have one in Sofia (still on UK plates)

I would not say it is wider than an estate car (not much narrower either ;-) )

100 miles per hour cruising speed not a problem on that bike even with the panniers, however crosswinds and overtaking big lorries at that speed is an adventure on it's own :), I've done it for hours in Germany in my way back so I know.

The seat however is a bit uncomfy. Only after 3 full tanks you really need to have some 15-30 min rest to stretch your legs. I find that very uncomfy ;-)

·
Registered
97 Posts
As others have said, the Vara is a great bike, if not a little thirsty. I took my 2001 to Mongolia and back, completely stock, no sump guard and no problems. I picked a set of tyres up in Moscow and carried them to Mongolia.

Back back via Georgia and took a "bad" road as my Georgian friends told me, it was rough, one of the worst off road tracks I have ever used and she never gave any problems with it.

Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and India for Christina Noble Children's Foundation. Watch this space

1 - 18 of 18 Posts