Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
A great piece of history for sure and cheap at that price but they are getting so expensive that most people will never use them now and they will be garage queens and collectors investments only. Much better off getting a nicely sorted RD03 or 4 and having so much more fun using it without worrying about it. Nice vid from Harry’s garage about his replica marathon and it doesn’t seem as enjoyable to ride as the basic model, particularly off road. The marathon’s will certainly hold their price better then gold into the future so they are great investments. Might be a better idea to create a replica to enjoy on the road ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
EDITED: This (my) post is factually incorrect and misleading. My apologies to ExplorerFrog - congratulations with the sale.
Original post: “But it’s a replica of the Dakar version!?!? That is not worth $40,000 for. Don’t be sad it Got away. At That Price you could build 2-3 machines yourself. It’s a modified standard machine (XRV) Large tanks But still exhaust on right hand side and No kick-start. So all in all a Nice modified RD03 But not an original Marathon (NXR 650).”

·
Registered
32 Posts
But it’s a replica of the Dakar version!?!? That is not worth $40,000 for. Don’t be sad it Got away. At That Price you could build 2-3 machines yourself. It’s a modified standard machine (XRV) Large tanks But still exhaust on right hand side and No kick-start. So all in all a Nice modified RD03 But not an original Marathon (NXR 650).
lol, that's funny. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about regarding the earlier NXR 750 and the XRV 650 Marathons and what is a replica or the real deal.

Read this.

AFRICA TWIN MARATHON - HOME (nightwings.org)

·
Registered
13 Posts
lol, that's funny. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about regarding the earlier NXR 750 and the XRV 650 Marathons and what is a replica or the real deal.

Read this.

AFRICA TWIN MARATHON - HOME (nightwings.org)
Happy to amuse you. You are right I apparently don’t know the first thing about Marathons. Thanks for the link. The NXR was a 650 by the Way. Not a 750.
I must say the serial number States the obvious. I rest my case. But How Can it have only 17K km on the clock - you rode the 10 and it participated in the Dakar in ‘89 and ‘94. Those two Years combined should amount more than 25K?! The ad text makes No sense.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It didn't finish the race either year. Details are on this page, look for bike 164. You really shouldn't go around claiming a bike is a replica when you don't know the first thing about it. How sad. Every answer to your questions are in the ad or in the comments. Do you think an auction site doesn't verify authenticity?

MARATHON 11e Paris-Dakar (nightwings.org)

And no, the NXRs were 750s.

1986-1989 Honda NXR 750 Dakar (motorcyclespecs.co.za)

Keep trying, you'll get something right eventually. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts