Honda XRV Forum banner

101 - 120 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
i though you got him a pistol for Christmas my eyes haven't opened up only just awake I haven't even had a cup of joe yet :cyclops: thanks be to god its a piston you got him I was afraid I would see on the news . TEENAGE BIKER GOES ON DRUNKEN RAMPAGE ON A DIRT BIKE WITH A PISTOL HE GOT FROM SANTA HUNDRETS FEARED DEAD :happy2:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
i though you got him a pistol for Christmas :happy2::happy2::happy2:
No mate, he already had his present a couple of days ago so he can fit it into his bike before his mate closes his workshop until the middle of January...

25564474_2058740480808625_578115570_n.jpg s-l500.jpg 25674038_2059662384049768_436695364_n.jpg

If jnr can get his oil pump adjusted and dialled in today then him and his mate will drive it home tonight in his van as the roads are wet and salty and he hasnt used any ACF just yet.
Its great he can work on his bike for free in a proper workshop and get paid for working on his own bike....Now thats smart thinking by Jnr...;););)

https://youtu.be/KRAKtq9hmBY

All I want from him for christmas is a big bag of tea bags and for him to stick around for a few days and help me get the engine back into our Triumph project..
I will probably make some christmas herbal cookies from the nice christmas tree I have for when we are finished, apart from that, christmas is just another day to me.
The Danes celebrate on the 24th so for them, the 25th is hangover day and as I have lived in Denmark for 25 yrs I dont bother cooking a huge feast of meat and over cooked burnt veggies on the 25th , I would rather make myself a nice spicy Indian curry.:teeth::teeth::teeth:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I am too busy wasting all my spare cash on motorbikes at the moment....:happy2::happy2::happy2:
My son got a decent set of drums off his grandad and had a few lessons and became quite good...
Last year when we visited our mate in Germany who owns a pub, we watched his pub band play a gig and at half time I got to chatting with their drummer and told him my son can play a bit of drums so they invited him on stage to play a song of his choosing.
He chose Feels like teen spirit by Nirvana and I was totally blown away because my son sailed through the song perfectly and the band told my son they though he played great.
I have never been so proud of him in my life but he doesnt bother too much these days as he spends all his time on bikes these days.
I had high hopes of him starting a band but he did it just for fun.:thumbup:
This was his first drumming lesson when he was 12, he packed in 4 years later which was a shame because he got pretty good.

https://youtu.be/EAX2vibiC-U

Proud dad moment.:thumbup:
My lad got a piston for christmas and he is made up with it.
My boys the opposite doesn't show any interest in bikes and to be honest i like it that way especially when i think back to what i was like in my teens on a bike, the way i rode anyone would think i wanted to commit suicide :D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
My boys the opposite doesn't show any interest in bikes and to be honest i like it that way especially when i think back to what i was like in my teens on a bike, the way i rode anyone would think i wanted to commit suicide :D
Fortunately Denmark has a lot less traffic than you guys do, not as many bizzies out to trap you with speed cameras and my son has no inclination to behave like the teenage hooligan I was 40 odd years ago.
BUT, he now has his bike sorted if he wants to play in the mud or find some forestry trails and go have some fun without upsetting any snowflakes...
I am glad he is into bikes as he can help me keep my bikes maintained and keep em one day when I hand my riding boots up...
It could be worse, he could be hanging round on street corners in a gang , binge drinking, doing drugs, mugging people..etc.
He will probably be better at fixing bikes than me and I am cool with that.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Fortunately Denmark has a lot less traffic than you guys do, not as many bizzies out to trap you with speed cameras and my son has no inclination to behave like the teenage hooligan I was 40 odd years ago.
BUT, he now has his bike sorted if he wants to play in the mud or find some forestry trails and go have some fun without upsetting any snowflakes...
I am glad he is into bikes as he can help me keep my bikes maintained and keep em one day when I hand my riding boots up...
It could be worse, he could be hanging round on street corners in a gang , binge drinking, doing drugs, mugging people..etc.
He will probably be better at fixing bikes than me and I am cool with that.:thumbup:
That's great :thumbup: I'm not doing anything to discourage my boy just not encouraging him, if he wants a bike in the future i wont stop him at the moment he has no time with his guitar lessons band practice cadets and taekwondo :D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
My son dropped by today and we got done what needed to be done as planned.:thumbup:
26030869_2064413330241340_387497627_n.jpg

26056807_2064748743541132_2006815089_n.jpg

I think that my son helps the bike look cool, not that it needed any help.
Now the engine is bolted in I can ge the rest sorted by spring next year...:thumbup:
I love it when a plan comes together....:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That's a really classy looking machine you've got yourself there scouse :thumbright:
The first time I saw the bike in my mates garage, this was what i saw in my head....:toothy3::toothy3::toothy3:
It took a while to get there and it was totally worth sacrificing my CX 500 to pay for the parts....

26056684_2065747780107895_3145782_n.jpg
Still needs a few hundred quid spending on it....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Just tried the exhaust on for size today, I kinda like it.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
its the secret the power of attraction that's how come you have your triumph now . you will something to yourself and within reason it will come to you . the two bikes I have now now that's how I have them and more recently I picked up a little car I saw it advertised on the net and thought that's a lovely little car for someone and I kept going back to look at it the more I looked the more I liked it and though that someone might as well be me and now it is :D its a little cracker nearly as much fun as a bike . I saw this lad a while ago playing left handed and though of you . take a lot of practice and effort to get this good but the first time he picked up a guitar he couldn't play a note like everyone else . I can see you are a determined bloke once you set your mind to something you stick with it so treat yourself to a guitalele 20 minutes a day would do it some people spend that much time farting every day ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGDoRKCL7UE

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Thanks for your words of wisdom my friend.:thumbup:
Right now I am pissing my my pants with excitement because I can see the end of this build coming sooner rather than later.
I bolted the exhaust up yesterday but as the headers were a bit shorter than standard I had to a bit of bodgering to make it fit.
Next job is to torque down the cylinder head, fit the rocker covers and set the tappets.
Then fit the electronic ignition which I will pass over to jnr as I have done these before and it will be good for him to learn about them.;););)
My rev counter is all packed up and ready to go to the guy who did my speedo which is like new.
25105415_2045424845473522_193555574_n.jpg
While the rev counter is getting re-built I will finish the final small jobs and get this bike prepared for start up...

I cant decide whether to register this bike and ride it or just swap it for jnrs XS400 which has a lekky start and fit his hotter camshaft to give it another 10bhp...
I got fed up with kickstarts about 8 yrs ago when I had my SR500 kick me back which hurt like a son of zee beach and I am not looking forward to kickstarting this Triumph several times a day.
Jnr sez I can borrow his XS as long as i dont sell it but the Triumph has to stay at my place as his mum aint got room in her garden for another bike where as I have room for a few more...
My plans for this year are to go on a lad n dad trip up north to Sweden for a bit of camping ,canoeing and trout fishing. last time we went jnr caught us a 2.4 kg rainbow trout for dinner on his 13th birthday and I want to catch one too coz they make great eating when you cook em on an open camp fire..

34212_134363019917176_3471488_n.jpg

Now that jnrs DT is finally sorted its time to go and have some fun instead of spending all my money on old motorbikes.

I have even thought about going out and finding a part time courier job to make some extra cash instead being skint all the time.....:toothy3::toothy3::toothy3:
Here in Denmark they have something for us old farts called flexjob where you can work three or four hours a day but you get paid a full weeks money and half of it is tax free..
Might be time to get of my arse and do some work for a change...:D:D:D
Maybe I will be able to afford some guitar lessons...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS.
Last time i took your advice I ended up with a NTV 650 which was a great bike....:thumbup:

Love the video btw.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Quite a good day today torqueing down the head and fitting the rockerbox covers.One less job to worry about.
I finally got jnr to bring his proper camera to take this photo.;););)

26638085_2079223965426943_1511625448_n.jpg
new grab rail coming sometime next week with a few other bits n bobs...:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
you and your son have totally transformed it in a short space of time it looks fantastic :cool: I was thinking it looks a bit longer and lower than I remembered them being but then I remembered I was used to being around the later oil in frame bikes more so . your bike has a much nicer stance .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
you and your son have totally transformed it in a short space of time it looks fantastic :cool: I was thinking it looks a bit longer and lower than I remembered them being but then I remembered I was used to being around the later oil in frame bikes more so . your bike has a much nicer stance .
If I hadnt sold my CX500 it probably would have taken a few years to complete, it was worth going without a bike for a few months to get the bike this far...
All I need now is to send my rev counter to the guy who did my speedo and I am thinking of buying a new wiring loom so I dont have to worry about previous owners bodges...Once the electronic ignition is installed and filled the engine and gearbox with oil it should be good to go but its not like I am in a hurry......:toothy3::toothy3::toothy3:
The OIF models were taller Alias, that why I got this one with me being a short arse n all.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
yeah I know the very first year bsa oil in frame were even 2 inch's taller I read somewhere 30 year ago in back street heroes the bikes were nicer in it back then these days most of them would make me cringe they did a few years ago . you might as well get a new loom to be on the safe side . your lucky to be able to work on a bike in the house with it being so cold out I used to be able to bring my bike into the kitchen to work on but I have a shed now after about 10 years with none . far too cold to be out there this weather for me I haven't much to do only give the shed a bit of a tidy and repair a chainsaw and try and repair a couple of power tools is all until spring time and I can go out riding again .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
yeah I know the very first year bsa oil in frame were even 2 inch's taller I read somewhere 30 year ago in back street heroes the bikes were nicer in it back then these days most of them would make me cringe they did a few years ago . you might as well get a new loom to be on the safe side . your lucky to be able to work on a bike in the house with it being so cold out I used to be able to bring my bike into the kitchen to work on but I have a shed now after about 10 years with none . far too cold to be out there this weather for me I haven't much to do only give the shed a bit of a tidy and repair a chainsaw and try and repair a couple of power tools is all until spring time and I can go out riding again .
Jnr is already asking about what bike we are going to do next and I told him he can have what ever he wants if he is paying coz I fancy a rest from bike building but I know that wont happen if and when I start riding the Triumph, something always breaks on em so may as well sort it now in my warm living room...
Jnr is back at college now and he is taking his driving licence for a car because one of the shops he worked at on work experience offered him an apprenticeship starting in March if he gets a car licence...They want him to be able to drive and go collect customer bikes in their van.:thumbup:
He will be getting paid for it too so thats why hes asking me about what bike to get next...
I plan to just do the final jobs on the Triumph so its ready for when the spring arrives.I am not 100% certain if i will be riding the Triumph or jnrs XS400.
I wouldnt mind having another play with his DT125 now he has got it back to full power but I suppose he will be wanting it for himself.....;););)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
that's great to hear a car licence is a great feather in his cap . my oldest is half a man already in a few years I intend on teaching him to drive and getting him the full car licence soon as possible . the law changed hear no more learner drivers unaccompanied any more . he's not interested in having a bike of his own well not right now anyway I don't encourage it either its his choice . but a car licence could help to get a job or at least he could drive to work himself .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Here in Denmark you have to go through a driving school and spend about 20 hours in a classroom doing theory which cost his mum £1400...
When I was an apprentice carpenter aged 17 back in the good old days I had 3 driving lessons and bought a Triumph Herald 1360 for £300 off my boss and went out in it every chance I could with my dad rather than pay for lessons and then booked a final lesson on the day of my test....Times have changed huh?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
times sure have changed back when I were a lad men were big burly hairy sweaty blokes who loved danger getting pissed drunk getting into fist fights at the chipper and having drunken sex with birds who are not great looking and they don't even know their name and women were soft spoken delicate creatures who didn't smoke drank little and spend a lot of time looking after their personal hygiene waxing them self's applying moisturiser the wore very pretty clothes and they smelt great now its the other way round the poor young lads are afraid to go out late at night for fear of being sexually assaulted by gangs of smelly drunken fat slags with moustaches and stone washed denims :clown: but on a serious note when I was growing up back in the 80's anyone could jump on any size of a bike or car with a provisional licence if the could afford the insurance that was very expensive so a lot of people said bollocks to that and drove away without it . getting as drunk as a skunk and jumping on a bike and going hell for leather was completely normal I knew a few lads that are no longer around because of it :( so now a few lessons first is a good thing not as many young lads dyeing off bikes very few young lads taking up bikes they are a scarce thing these days around hear most are in their 40's and up .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Would they be the same kind of burly sweaty blokes like in this video?

I found this video today so if you fancy a history lesson about the decline in the British bike industry back in the day when I had just finished my apprenticeship and went abroad doing the Aufwedersehen Pet thing...Check it out..

https://youtu.be/uvmIq6walP8

Let me know what you think.

101 - 120 of 179 Posts