Honda XRV Forum banner

121 - 140 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
there is more old gits wearing suits with a stick up their arse and no vision that's why the Brit bike industry failed they kept on churning out copys of Edward Turners twin that was designed in the mid 1930's the same ****ers who treated Rex McCandless like shit the man from Belfast who designed the featherbed frame one of the most revolutionary motorcycle frames ever made that allowed Norton to keep on winning races for a lot longer that they would have without it . and disgruntled workers than there is bike riders in this clip . my aunt God rest her used to work at BSA for years she had a right strong brummie accent when she moved back after spending most her life in Birmingham . then on comes Honda in 1959 to the isle of man . Gilera were winning GP's in the 50's with 4 cylinders there was the hint that's what people wanted . still the old Brit twins are a lovely bike to ride but too expensive to buy these days I regret not buying one years ago when they were cheaper because I used to love getting a go on one only trouble was I had no money for bikes cos I liked to party :D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I need to do something about the exhaust as my new silencers are only just hanging onto the down pipes by half an inch.I have ordered a short kick up pipe to solve that problem and I have also ordered a new grab rail to keep the rear mudguard steady.
I just sent my rev counter off to England to get refurbished so it looks as good as the speedo..
Once I have finished off all our bikes I might go and find myself a driving job so I can take a rest from bike building and save up for the next one.:D:D:D
Looks like its back to work as this just arrived..

http://montysclassicmotorcyclesshop.co.uk/genuine-triumph-rear-mudguard--grab-rail-f1-1571-1970-t100-tr6-t120-bonneville-534-p.asp

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I really fancy a last model vfr750 in red with the seat hump and a sporty can I would really like an rc30 but the money is very strong and my pocket is very weak still I cant complain I am happy enough with the bikes I have I just need the winter to piss off so I can ride them .

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I just spent a couple of days working on my Triumph crossing off some of the final jobs I have to on my list before this puppy is ready to bring back from the dead after 25 rotting away in the hands of a German piss head mate.
My grab rail arrived which you need for lifting the bike on the main stand and after fitting it I saw the rear light had to be modified to make it fit...
Last week I made a serious cock up, when I tried my kickstart on my bike after fitting the rocker covers I tried the kick start to test it for compression and put a dent in my new silencer, I was well miffed.

26638085_2079223965426943_1511625448_n.jpg

The reason it hit the exhaust is coz the down pipes are too short.
I spent the day today making the exhaust longer with a link pipe and then I took the silencers off switched the mounting brackets over and swapped the silencers round so the ding is on the underside where you cant see it.
All I have left to do is:

Fit the electronic ignition and coils.
Connect the external oil filter and fill the engine and gearbox with oil and check for leaks.
Fit the chain back on and adjust...
Fabricate a battery box and fit the battery to see if I can hook it up and get a spark.
Fit my refurbished rev counter when it gets back from England.
Fit new fuel hoses to my brand new Amal Premier carb.
Put some petrol in the tank and fire it up.
I cant wait until spring so I can take it outside when the salty roads are clear and go take it for a test ride and check again for oil leaks then make a video to post on here.
Just in case you forgot, this is how it looked 6 months ago.

19894184_1861015890581086_2095135474_n.jpg

I am sure you can imagine how chuffed I am with myself right now and with Jnr because we have had a great lad n dad thing going on and between us we have saved a classic Triumph from the bike grave yard and that makes me fell all warm and fuzzy inside.
I have spent around £2000 putting it right which aint bad for a bike that might be worth a few bob now and in years to come when I give it to Jnr for qualifying as a motorbike mechanic.:thumbup:
I bought myself a brand new leather jacket on ebay last year for £100 and I am ready for sharing the sound of my new toy with all the locals where I live and I hope they like it but if they dont, I dont give a flying f;);)k anyway.........:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
I hope it dont scare my neighbours chickens coz I like getting free eggs from her.:happy7::happy7::happy7:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
hell no a sailor suit would look shite and be a bastard to keep clean what you want is a waxed cotton suit and a pair of derri boots . its going to piss rain most of the time so you might as well be dressed for it :thumbright:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
hell no a sailor suit would look shite and be a bastard to keep clean what you want is a waxed cotton suit and a pair of derri boots . its going to piss rain most of the time so you might as well be dressed for it :thumbright:
I still have my old Bellstaff from back in the day but its a bit snugg around the middle due to the old golden gargle, the zipper popped in protest....:D:D:D
I used to have Derri boots back in the day, they looked shite but they did the job and they were only £20 apair.
My new leather jacket is in the same style as the Belstaff but a bit heavier and warmer.
As for the sailor suit, my bike is a pre oil in the frame model and it just wouldnt look right, unlike Richard Geres bike...:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:
I will get jnr to do a photo shoot with his good camera once its done, I asked if he knew some totty to pose for you lads but he told me to sod of and called me an old pervert...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I will do a video for your enjoyment once the time comes to fire it up.
I have said this before and I will say it again, I love it when a plan comes together....:thumbup:
I might have to go out and find a part time job so I dont get bored with all this time on my hands.:cool::cool::cool:

PS....I got the kickstart sorted so it dont touch the silencer any more, it cost me a six pack of beer at our local garage, he sorted it for me with a bit of heat and a couple of whacks with a lump hammer and a minute on the wire brush machine to get rid of the blueing, it was sorted by the time I got back from our local supermarket with his favourite beer , job done for £3.:blob8:

·
Registered
942 Posts
With all these pictures of old Triumphs i thought i should show you all a pic of mine ,
1965 T100 which i'm hoping to have on the road by summer , needs an engine rebuild and some general tidying up
i'm giving it a bit of a I.S.D.T look

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
With all these pictures of old Triumphs i thought i should show you all a pic of mine ,
1965 T100 which i'm hoping to have on the road by summer , needs an engine rebuild and some general tidying up
i'm giving it a bit of a I.S.D.T look
Can I park mine next to yours and maybe they can breed and make some mopeds.....:D:D:D
Yours is in far better shape than mine was when i found it.
Whats it look like from the other side?
I would love to do another one but my wallet cant handle it....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
You know where to find me if you need any help mate.;)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
photo not showing Nick you need a new photo sharing site I think . going by memory when you posted it before was a 500 you had maybe a Daytona that was belong to your father or am I losing my memory a bit ?

·
Registered
942 Posts
photo not showing Nick you need a new photo sharing site I think . going by memory when you posted it before was a 500 you had maybe a Daytona that was belong to your father or am I losing my memory a bit ?
I'm trying out google photo's as a hosting site, i had been using photobucket until they started charging to use their site, if anyone has any better suggestions for a free image hosting site then lets hear them,
can you see the pic now ? i can and so can scousedude.
the bike is a 500 twin T100SS not the twin carb daytona , my older brother bought it as a project for his missus 30 years back but before they got started on it they packed their bags and went to live in america, so it sat in my garage for about 10 years until my dad decided to have a crack at it, he got the frame powder coated and a bloke he knows , who claimed to know triumphs inside-out, did an engine rebuild , my dad wired it up using one colour of wire for the whole loom :rolleyes:, took it for a ride and decided it was a bag of nails so did nothing with it for another 10 years,my dad was getting on a bit by now and was finding his T150 trident a bit too heavy for him so asked me if i could sort the 500 for him to ride, i made a new loom in all the correct colours, took it for a spin and found that my dad was right it was a bag of nails, smoked like a chimney, jumped out of 3rd and 4th gear, clutch slipped and dragged and generally ran like crap, in the last few years i've fixed the gearbox, rebuilt the clutch, got a rebore done , had new valve seats fitted , fitted a new oil pump and a new carb, still a few issues that only splitting the cases can fix so i'll be doing a proper rebuild on it asap,
in the last few years my dad has developed alzheimers so he wont be riding again and the bike has become a project for myself instead of my dad

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hey Nick, I stick all my photos on bikepics and always have done,its free and it works for me.
Any chance of a photo of the other side of the bike?
Have thought about sticking on a set of Ceriani MX forks on like mine to beef up the front end?
Quite a few offroad bikes use them.
When I was doing research about my forks I was told many times by our colonial cousins that Ceriani totally transform the bike and are twice as good as bog standard, thats why all the flat trackers and offroad scramblers used em.
The price you could sell your originals for would probably pay for a set of Cerianis.
Then all you got to do is get some Akkront rims then your sorted.
It might piss off the puritsts but it would make the bike look 10 times better and perform better with what you plan to do with this bike....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceriani-Marzocchi-35mm-Forks-Triumph-Trials-Chopper-Bobber-65-Twin-shock/282808235567?hash=item41d8af362f:g:egEAAOSwUn9aQ7nh&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ta that works and looks nice and green & harmonious in the sunshine - coincidently got myself a modernish Tiger 995i just before winter.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Have thought about sticking on a set of Ceriani MX forks on like mine to beef up the front end?
Quite a few offroad bikes use them.
When I was doing research about my forks I was told many times by our colonial cousins that Ceriani totally transform the bike and are twice as good as bog standard, thats why all the flat trackers and offroad scramblers used em.
The price you could sell your originals for would probably pay for a set of Cerianis.
Then all you got to do is get some Akkront rims then your sorted.
It might piss off the puritsts but it would make the bike look 10 times better and perform better with what you plan to do with this bike....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceriani-Marzocchi-35mm-Forks-Triumph-Trials-Chopper-Bobber-65-Twin-shock/282808235567?hash=item41d8af362f:g:egEAAOSwUn9aQ7nh&vxp=mtr
Yeah i know about ceriani forks, they were the hot ticket back in the day,
when i took the bike off my dad a few years back it was sporting a disc brake front end from an old cb550 , didn't look right and were too short so i swapped them for the front end from a late '70's DT250 that i happened to have lying around , thats what its wearing in the pic, they suit the bike well i think, i'd had the wheel rebuilt a few years earlier with stainless spokes and the alloy rim is still in really good condition so that front end will be staying put.
I will upgrade the old girling shocks , they really have had their day

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I asked jnr to pop around today because I need to borrow his soldering iron so i can get rid of all the snap connectors in the wiring loom.I bought him one a while ago as a christmas present when he was having electrical problems with his DT 125.
When I fitted my rear light the wiring was covered in insulating tape that had gone tacky over the years so I have removed it all and replaced it with soldered connections and then shrink wrapped it with the plastic stuff you can get. I plan to go through the loom so i dont have to buy a new one, if I need a new loom they are cheap as chips but am done spending for this month.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I had jnr help me put the bike back on our beer box so i can take the rear wheel off to get at my external oil filter and connect it up and stick some oil in the bike.
I will probably set up the electonic ignition but jnr took my coil mounting brackets because he wants to try the schools sand blaster to clean em and re-paint them plus some other bits n bobs that need attention...
Here is how the bike is looking today....

26857192_2088277164521623_928661790_n.jpg

26914321_2088277184521621_1223238722_n.jpg

Jnrs boss has offered to register the bike and get me legit papers for it for £150 so if I can get this thing finished off I could be riding it this spring....:compress::compress::compress:

121 - 140 of 179 Posts