Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i swapped an old engine i had laying around for this very unloved honda cb900f with the intension of stripping it and selling the parts (these bikes break very well as parts are rare)
anway got it home n looked over it and its all pretty much there so thought sod i need a project thats where it started

so first i connected up the battery to turn her over but the stater wizzes over but not turning engine somtimes it would catch for a sec or two but no more.
so i stripped off the starter clutch and found a worn ball bareing so i replaced that put it all back together now the engine turns over but very slowly.(im still not trying to start at this point)
so i dropped the oil out which was like clotted cream!! left it draining for an hour or so then filled engine with deasel and wizzed it over again to get more sludge out.drained and filled with cheap oil(going to have to dain this again so no point useing good oil)
spun the engine over now its spinning at a good speed good oh
so fekk it lets put some petrol in see what happens £5 of petrol in tank wizzing over but not firing cheak spark thats good compresion good try again this time with a squert of easy start wooohooo it fired up!!! 1st on 2 lumpy as hell then after a min or so all 4 sweet!!
thats where im up to now and only took pics after so no pics of progress so far but will update as i go from now on
oh i fitted the freashly rebuilt calipers too

·
White van man
560 Posts
Good un. Nice to get a dead un breathing again. :thumbup: Must be worth the effort.

If i hear of any bits i'll let ya know.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I had the same thing witha vf500 someone gave me a few years ago,after I'd cleared the mice corpses out of the air box and diluted down the treacle in the gearbox and the tank,started after about 30 seconds of cranking.

By the way it has the same wheels as your new project, are yours the right wheels or are they common to a few models?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes there the right wheels everything on the bike is standard apart from the seat and the exhaust which both need replaceing anyway
ive managed to sorce a seat for a bargin price of £30 discribed as in good condition?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
ok so i swapped an old engine i had laying around for this very unloved honda cb900f with the intension of stripping it and selling the parts (these bikes break very well as parts are rare)
anway got it home n looked over it and its all pretty much there so thought sod i need a project thats where it started

so first i connected up the battery to turn her over but the stater wizzes over but not turning engine somtimes it would catch for a sec or two but no more.
so i stripped off the starter clutch and found a worn ball bareing so i replaced that put it all back together now the engine turns over but very slowly.(im still not trying to start at this point)
so i dropped the oil out which was like clotted cream!! left it draining for an hour or so then filled engine with deasel and wizzed it over again to get more sludge out.drained and filled with cheap oil(going to have to dain this again so no point useing good oil)
spun the engine over now its spinning at a good speed good oh
so fekk it lets put some petrol in see what happens £5 of petrol in tank wizzing over but not firing cheak spark thats good compresion good try again this time with a squert of easy start wooohooo it fired up!!! 1st on 2 lumpy as hell then after a min or so all 4 sweet!!
thats where im up to now and only took pics after so no pics of progress so far but will update as i go from now on
oh i fitted the freashly rebuilt calipers too

think it's got to be a traditonal pearl white and red paintjob she'll be a beauty:thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havnt decided on paint yet but i quite like the black and blue cb900
im undecided weather to do it 100% standard or do somthing along the lines of this

opinions?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
i havnt decided on paint yet but i quite like the black and blue cb900
im undecided weather to do it 100% standard or do somthing along the lines of this

opinions?
that would be great done like that

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok small update decided to remove the exhaust to see if it can be saved amazingly all the rusted bolts undid ok none snapped result 30 years old moden bike would have snapped lol
few holes and lots of rust hmmm

couldnt get the forth down pipe to seperate from the end can so ive soaked the join in deasel and letting it soak

only 1 of the down pipes has holes

im going to clean up and weld up the end can that will go again
but i think the down pipes are for the scrap altho my brother owns a powder coaters well half of one and says he has some nice high temp silver and black so this may do until i find some at the right price £250 is the cheapest ive found on ebay so far and i really dont want to pay anywhere near that at this stage of the project so for now weld up and powder coat will do it costs me nothing so worth a try and iif i get the bike how i want it towards the end i'll staRt shelling out some real cash

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
nice! i like those old niners. they were quite hot stuff as i got into bikes in 1984.
but that seat? uuggghh!! what the hell was anybody thinking of to put that on there?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts