Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of thoughts crossed my mind... Well 3 linked ones...

Firstly I was reading Magwas comments about my riding style on an earlier post on the forum, then I read about McVicar and Lord Vadar dropping their bikes, here (something I've done more than a few times!!!), and then I read the latest GlobeRiders flyer about the 'Death' of one of their very experienced tour guides due to a 'Tip Over' [added to the bottom of this post].

These three things got me thinking...

Dangerous game we play here isn't it... Think I'm gonna try for some Advanced training, not I assume it would of make any difference to the amount of times I drop my bike, but hopefully it might increase my survival chances in other areas.

(Then again, I could just buy me some stabalizers ;) )

10 MAR 2007

A GlobeRiders' Update and Newsletter

In Memory of Jim Russell
A Final Journey....
Jim Russell was a veteran cart driver, motorcyclist, and global moto-adventurer. He had taken dozens of tours with many companies, to include the Silk Road Adventure and World Tour with GlobeRiders.
Jim Russell died in Reynosa, Mexico, as a result of an accident that occurred on the morning of Sunday March 4, 2007, only minutes into a two week tour through Mexico. Approaching a stop light alongside an 18-wheel tractor/trailer rig, at nearly complete stand still, Jim lost his balance and fell beneath the wheels of the vehicle. As the light turned green, the truck driver, unaware, rolled forward resulting in Jim’s instant death.
It is such a tragic irony that a relatively benign “tip over” could end up taking from us one who has been tested on so many exotic and challenging roads around the world. I know you share our sadness in learning of this and I ask that you pass this to all who may have traveled with and befriended Jim Russell over the years.

I'm going to get told off soon, I keep posting in the wrong forum, sorry Admin Guys... :(

Yours... Pondering...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Tragic. But life without risks would be very dull. The answer, i believe, is to get the balance between risk and 'being sensible' right.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Tragic. But life without risks would be very dull. The answer, i believe, is to get the balance between risk and 'being sensible' right.
wise words my friend wise words:) im sure we've all been there you pull up and for some reason the timing of foot down and stopping just dont mesh right .resulting in a heart in the mouth incident

it seems to occur either at the very start of a journey or when you've been riding for a long time getting tired or complacent...we as a sector of road users really need to keep on top of this sort of thing other wise the health and safety NAZIS will just keep trying to close us down:banghead:

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
Sad being a biker and a truck driver myself i cannot help but feel for the family of the deceased and the driver, as you say if you always thought of the risks you would never get out of bed
merv

G

·
Loss of any life, whatever the circumstance is always tragic and the loss of my particular life would amount to the greatest of these. But a life without pleasure would be worse, it would be a waste. To that end, I for one plan to protect what I can, defend from what I can see, and ignore what I cannot know.

Upto now my keen sense of cowardise have kept me safe from many a potential hazard:D

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Approaching a stop light alongside an 18-wheel tractor/trailer rig, at nearly complete stand still, Jim lost his balance and fell beneath the wheels of the vehicle. As the light turned green, the truck driver, unaware, rolled forward
If I just think how many times a day traveling through London this could happen to me, frightning!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts