Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Blah! Blah! Blah!
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having quite a problem with the throttle....so I hope someone can help!!

Seems the throttle wont return on its own, Ive WD40 the throttle wheel and spring, but that only solves the problem for a few minutes.. go back and check and its exactly the same, also gave the throttle housing on bars a squirt but makes no difference!

seems like the spring hasnt got enough oomph to return the throttle (it's not fun riding it when you go to change gear and it revs up to 7000)

Can the springs be adjusted???

I have no technical skills on bikes so help would be appreciated.

Regards.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
You might want to check that the cable has not started fraying and is jamming up inside the outer casing. Disconnect the cable at both ends and move try moving the inner, you should be able to feel if there is a problem there.

Andy.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
sounds like the cables need oiling,a standard part of the service that is overlooked by many because of the fiddly-ness of doing it. You need to run a glug of oil through both cables and you may find it is like new.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Sounds like the cables are either rusty or just gummed up or the throttle assembly needs a proper lube. Just squirting WD40 won't provide a long term cure.

it's a while since I have done this, so from memory.... You will need to split the clamp next to the kill switch housing. A White plastic block will need lifting out and you should see the 2 cables attached to a White plastic tube that grip is glued onto. Detach the cables and pull through the housing you unclamped. Pull the cables - they should run freely. Whatever, lube em up. Buy one of the cheap cable oilers (small metal clamp usually blue that clamps round the cable outer and allows you to blast WD40 or similar down the cable - excellent value and easy to use). Remove the throttle and put grease on the bars. If the cables don't run free you will need new cable(s).

Now comes the fiddly bit...... the plastic block is a bugger to get in the right place with the cables running round it. This needs some grease on it as well. Once it's in the right place the clamp and throttle easily goes together. Tighten it all up check the throttle stil turns freely, and the bars aren't fouling and away you go.

·
Blah! Blah! Blah!
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies and advice.

Twistgrip its a 700 transalp 08 plate and done 7600 miles. Tis due its 8000 service soon so may wait till then.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yep Agree with BT & Austin had similar happen to mine. I took it apart and squirted 3-1 oil down the cable while moving it. That was over 8 months ago and hasn’t got sticky since. But I agree that the Plastic bit is a PIA to put back in.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Thanks all for the replies and advice.

Twistgrip its a 700 transalp 08 plate and done 7600 miles. Tis due its 8000 service soon so may wait till then.

Cheers.
Oh for the says when you had a grease nipple on the cable or an oil cap!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know where you can get a new twist grip for a 2000 NX650, some idiot knocked my bike over and it's now not returning.

found one on eBay, are they universal or is there any change with models?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Does anyone know where you can get a new twist grip for a 2000 NX650, some idiot knocked my bike over and it's now not returning.

found one on eBay, are they universal or is there any change with models?
Try loosening the housing and pull the grip off the bar, then reassemble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts