Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Plodder
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gradually acclimatising myself to a new bike, a 10 plate vara, and just coming up to the 1k mark after having it for a forthnight.

Whilst the sixth gear is great for the motorway after only having 5 on my 99 vara, and the bike handles just as well, (or will do once I get the deathwings off it and some conti road attacks fitted) I've noticed a distinct lag in the pick up under acceleration.

The throttle feels like the first quarter turn doesn't do anything at all, and I find myself almost feathering the throttle permanently to keep the drive going.

Now before I take it in for its first look at by the shop, I need to know if I've got an issue, is the throttle cable slack, or is it the FI system inhibiting my natural heavy right handedness, or is there some other reason why it won't go straight away when I open the thing up?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think they limit the response until the first service.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I think they limit the response until the first service.
Never heard than one before. Mine was silky smooth from the off.

It should have had it's first service at 600 miles anyway.

·
Plodder
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
600 came up on day 3 of ownership boris, I couldn't get a booking till now.

Need to check if the response is limited though, it definitely doesn't get up and go like my old one and that had 40k plus on it.

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
mines on a 54 plate (F.I ) and throttle response is instant. no hesitation on pick up........ which is nice when overtaking a bit rapid :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D. sounds like a possible issue pete. bend their ears !!:thumbup: cheers ade

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
can you clear up if you are talking about only sixth gear or acceleration in general?

sixth gear on the vara is like an overdrive, if you are expecting to take off with a fistful of throttle in sixth on the motorway forget it, drop a gear or two.
however if youre in the right gear at the right revs it should sprint off like a stamped on puppy, power wheelies are totally possible in 2nd, 3rd and 4th

·
Registered
114 Posts
It is more than likely you are subconciously noticing the difference between a new bike / engine, not yet fully run in, and therefore a little tighter than your old bike with a well run in, antherefore loser engine with 40,000+ miles on the clock.

When I got my 09 reg Vara, I rode it from new pretty much straight away on a , 3,500 mile round trip to the South France, just after the 600 mile service. One day I noticed in the south of France, after a couple of days of hammering up and down Alpine cols, that the engine felt noticeably freer and revier after around 1800 miles, than it did earlier in the trip down through France. It suddenly felt like different engine!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts