Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, firstly, I've been drinking tonight and I've been up since dawn so I'm a bit tainted, (this one's for Ade!)

I laid the Triumph Tiger 800XC and the Varadero up for the winter end of Oct due to salt going down on the roads up here in the Highlands. As the weather's been reasonable and the Mighty Varadero's been back on the road for a month now I road taxed the Tiger to coincide with Fiona putting her Ickle GS back on the road for 01/04/12.
We agreed to meet up with a few locals for a ride out, little did we know how much locals would turn up???? Well, in truth,,,, the only one was Steve T! LOL! :thumbup:
Our route was roughly Elgin to Carr bridge, to Nethy Bridge, to Tomintoul, to Ballater, then home via Rhinie to Dufftown by the Cabrach then return to Elgin in Morayshire, around 170 miles. The route was great, Fiona had been off the road for around five months and the Tiger takes a bit of taming, especially with new tyres on so order of the day was to take it easy and bed everything in. The run went well, stopping off at Tomintoul for coffee and carrot cake. Steve T left us there as he had made arrangements with the Mountie for later in the day so we said our farewells.
Fiona and myself carried on with the run. A couple of showers but in general the weather was good and the roads were great. Some gritty patches caused a few "moments" with Fiona almost lowsiding into a car at Kildrummie (very close to where Steve T did the exact same thing a week ago!)
A good ride was had, the weather was favourable and the company excellent.

The bikes;
BMW G650GS
Fiona's run up almost 5000 miles on the Ickle Beemer now and it never fails to perform. She was managing fine after a few miles and apart from the one scare she's well on the road to her usual riding skills (I struggle to keep up with her on a good day!) The bike is faultless and a stunning looking machine. A true Ickle adventure bike.

Tiger 800XC
The Tiger did what it does best, made me grin from ear to ear! A couple of wheelies, one in third gear (Steve T said only two?) and a couple of buzzes to the rev limiter reminded me of what I love about this bike! The sound, the handling, the power, and good looks! What more could you ask for? Did exactly what it said on the tin, the handling's quirky with the Tiger, I'd go as far as to say skittish. Once I get used to it I settle down to using the whole tyre but does take a few miles, unlike the Vara.
My Tiger has had niggles in the past but the last few months of last season it had settled down, unfortunately with sitting for a few months over winter an electrical fault had recurred, this has not shown today so fingers crossed! Lovely bike, and I'm keeping it for now. Nothing out there comes close to the Tiger for me.
(The Mighty Varadero's still the daddy though!)

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Nice one Jim :thumbup:

I remember you saying the first 40 miles are the worst :D:D

Good to hear you are ok with the Tigger again, lovely looking bike, well done mate :thumbup:

Few drams ????

What are you dibbling away at tonight ??
I've just had a couple of rusty nails ..... hit the nail right on the head :p

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lowflyer, long story dram wise tonight! I thought I'd be cheap and try a bottle of Ale cask Grants (thought it might be ok, but at £12?) Turned out it's rubbish so drinking it tonight mixed with Crabbies to make a whisky Mac! (Saving good stuff for upcoming meets!) Running low on Drambuie or rusty nails it would have been mate! ;)
Yes, loving the Tiger! It has issues but like a good woman, it's there to be ridden!

Slainte!

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I've just had a couple of rusty nails ..... hit the nail right on the head :p
I might have one of these again if you promise not to get me drunk !!

Can't remember what was in it?

Drambui & GlenMorangie?

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
I shall bring a "mixture " down to Galloway :thumbup:

Slainte to you too Jim :thumbup::D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do like a good rusty nail! I'll trade you at Galloway for a dram of 15yr old Glenfiddich reserve from the Solera vat! LOL!
Bring on Galloway!
I'll also bring my Tiger for all to sliver and drool over!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts