Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A good friend recently traded his (55 reg) 650 Alp for a Tigger. Tonight, I took it out for a spin ;-) ......

1st impressions; the engine is sweet & soooo smooth with nice, strong linear performance from pretty much tickover. Once up to speed you notice how poor the standard screen is with dreadful windnoise, buffeting, draughts blowing down my jacket & strange tugs on my forearms from sidewinds - enough to affect the line of the bike.
The suspension is firmer than I expected for an 'xc' version, allowing a surprising amount of road imperfections to be transmitted, not harsh or unrefined suspension, just firm.
The bike feels nicely balanced & poised through bends but is slightly slower steering than an Alp, the riding position is, surprisingly, canted foward slightly with lower bars that are straighter, pushing your elbows out slightly compared to the A/T/Alp, after a while, I found it gave a slight irritation to the front shoulder/ upper bicep area - I got a similar sensation on a vfr 800 that I rode the other week too so it's probably just me!
Gear changes are very good with positive engagement without being clunky or baulky - like the Alp so good you don't notice it.
The (non abs) brakes are Nissin twin piston sliding pin calipers gripping floating discs up front & single piston sliding pin caliper at the rear...... To me they look dated, despite S/steel brake lines they may have been decent in the '80s & '90s but on a bang up to date modern bike......hmmmm.
Sure they work well enough but not that much better than my 9 yr old Alp. Not a patch on the standard Nissin stuff fitted to recent Hondas (ride V's Hornet & you'll know what I mean)

Trouble is - does it lack character??? I was still undecided

Settling in to the bike; Now on more open roads, this thing handles - yeeeha......the motors a peach with plentiful drive from nothing, corners can be approached with 'decent' speed, the xc disperses them with ease & confidence, enough agility to change line if required but almost sports bike stability throught.
Now onto small bumpy tarmac single track lanes, the firm suspension & slightly slow turn in means I have less confidence to 'chuck' it around than i would the Alp (but it's also not my bike), it's all easy, safe, predictable & slightly bumpy just not as chuckable on slower, tighter unpradictable roads.

But there is something that just doesn't feel 'right' about this bike.
Then it clicks - this ain't really some cross country 'adventure' bike, the suspension is too firm, the bars too low, riding position too (ok slightly) canted foward.

It's a road bike!
As soon as I think of it as a jacked up naked street bike/super moto/practical sports bike in drag - it began to click, feel 'right'

From then on I had an absolute blast. Country lanes, dual carriageway wide open twisties, all dispensed with verve.
The motor will pull effortlessly from below 2k rpm in 6 yet spin up to the redline almost completely linearly, has a nice growl on the open road & nice 'whine' in town with pretty much no vibration throught - quite an acheivement.
Not so great is the 45mpg consumption, not sure what the range is but the fuel light came on at 145 miles with two bars showing on the display.

Having had matey initially following me on the xc, the lights were very noticeable, as darkness fell, the lights really do work. Dipped beam gives a good even broad coverage of bright light, a bit 'more' light imediately infront of the bike wouldn't have gone amiss though.
On a smaller roads full beam was superb, unfortunately on larger roads main wasn't so good, with the beam being concentrared into a large 'blob' albeit a bright blob, it could have done with a much better spread over a greater area.

Overall; The xc is a superb allrounder, brilliant handling on all types of road surfaces & no doubt capable off road too. The engine is an absolute peach, fit & finish looks great, brakes are adequte but a bit dated.
Due to the 'openness' of the frame the pipes & cables, aparently it's a bit of a nightmare to keep clean.
The screen could, no, should be better (everyone is different I know), the bar position also could be better for me.
The bike was fitted with Triumph; alloy sump guard, crash bars, heated grips & Givi top box mount

Importantly - does it have character.
YES it most certainly does ;-)

Will I be buying one......
Not at 8 grand I won't - it still doesn't do anything my old Alp won't (it just does it better!)

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I'd have a word with Africajim before parting with any cash. I think he is ready to torch his one.

It seems Triumph not only managed to copy BMWs looks. They also took the oft quoted but rarely seen BMW unreliability and turned it into reality.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Will I be buying one......
Not at 8 grand I won't - it still doesn't do anything my old Alp won't (it just does it better!)
I tried one on the trails and didnt like it. Infact, neither did the owner. He bought it off spec with the intention of it being a great adventure bike. It wasnt, so he got rid.

As for your comment about it doing nothing tha Alp cant do. I feel exactly the same about the KTM and Africa Twin. The KTM has cost a fortune to get running again. And is it better than the @. Well, yes....but £,000's better. Nope. Im affraid I will always tarnish it with the fact it has cost a lot of money. Obviously once time has healed the pain of my empty wallet I may feel differently. But for now I wish I had never heard of KTM.

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Nice, open minded write up Phil. Thanks for sharing.

My own, limited experience of the Tiger XC, a short 15 mile ride with Africajim in the early months of this year, was added too this weekend when Jim & I swapped bikes for a short while whilst out scaring the locals on the back roads around Moray. Jumping straight from my BMW F800GS and onto the XC, I thought the Triumph felt "stocky", almost dumpy compared to the F8GS, possibly due to the fact that you sit in the Triumph and on the F8GS!
Moving off, watching the tail light of my bike disappear into the distance as Jim tried out the acceleration handle of the F8GS, the gear change of the XC was far better the then the BM.

1-0 to Triumph

As we took in some rather scenic but narrow, wet and leaf covered roads, a feeling of un-ease settled upon me as corner after corner I felt the bike wasn't settling into the turns as I'd expected it to. Might be down to the partially squared off rear tyre that the XC is wearing, but not wholly. Having ridden many bikes with tyres that were wholly squared off, I had an idea of what that does to a bikes handling. The XC is far more firmly suspended than the F8GS, so I'd have expected it to handle well on the roads we were travelling. Not so today!

1 all, I think

When we stopped to compare thoughts & feelings about each machine, I mentioned the "squat" feeling that I got sitting on the XC, whilst Jim started going on about stupid indicators and starter buttons :rolleyes:. We decided that we each had the best bikes for our individual needs. A draw it is then . . . . . but I still wouldn't buy a Triumph 800XC over the F8GS . . . . . . cos I've got the F8GS and I love it.

Once we'd re-mounted ;) our own rides, Jim & I set out to cover as much of the local twisties that time would allow (Jim was on call for the day). Many changes in road surface were encountered and I've got to say that the F8GS felt wholly planted at all time (both my tyres are in good nick :D). The last leg before Jim got a call that would have us heading for civilisation was from Tomintoul to Dufftown. Both Jim & I love this stretch of road for it's mix of open sweepers and tight, "tuckng in as you go round them" corners. I got admonished by Jim for scaring him on the last stretch into Dufftown! I stood on the pegs, opened the "go faster" lever to the "YeeHaa" setting and whooshed off into the distance, making the XC & Jim disappear in the mirrors :D. Snot my fault his bike doesn't handle that well in the wet when shod with worn rubber now is it?

Thanks again Phil for an honest write up . . . . . now go try a BMW F8GS and tell us what you think of it :thumbright:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ain't swapping/trying different bikes fun, there are lots of bikes that I haven't ridden, BM 800s, Ktms even Varas. Hint hint ;-)

Even after all these years & miles, the Alp still makes me smile despite it being overshadowed by......well, pretty much everything!

Phil

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now theres an offer I can't refuse!

As long as I don't have to pay to fix it if it breaks lol

Phil

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Great write up Phil

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Trust me, with the amount of new parts now on the bike (engine) nothing can go wrong for A thousand miles! Famous last words!
Fixed it for you Mike

Good write up Phil
There is a White xc with the tank side panels in zebra stripes - looks great, I see him 3 days out of 6.... Maybe he is having problems on the other days?
Vara does a 6 day week ;-)

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Fixed it for you Mike
Ha Ha...dont get me going. I really wish I had never bought a KTM. I cry when I think what Ive spent. Lets just say, it aint going to bring me the same pleasure knowing the amount it has cost. I really hope time heals the wound of an empty wallet. I'll forever be scared to drop it. Infact, I may keep the @ and just polish the 950.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
The F800 looks great on paper, but when it has 10 year old electrics how clever is it going to look to have all those sensors that let is run ultra-lean and get great fuel consumption?

I'd expect the Triumph to carry on running longer (unless it's burned all it's oil and seized ;)) with simpler electronics, and I'd put up with the extra fuel consumption for that...

(Then again, will either of these modern, injected bikes when they're 10 years old be as viable a prospect as a 20 year old AT with carbs and bum-basic electrics? Are we going to see a world where all vehicles are either less than 7 or 8 years; or old enough to be economically maintainable?)

Incidentally, the 660 Tenere is near enough the size and power of TA or AT, so maybe that's a more natural replacement for a TA or AT? Anyone done a comparison?

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Incidentally, the 660 Tenere is near enough the size and power of TA or AT, so maybe that's a more natural replacement for a TA or AT? Anyone done a comparison?
Yep, and I got rid of the Yam within 2 months of purchase - still got my @, and my old Alp is currently sitting in the garage as well, awaiting some TLC after youngest son's use :rolleyes:

Problem with the Tenere, in a word (or two) - BUILD QUALITY - or should I say lack of it
Rides OK, has OK fuel economy, but there were many little things that led me believe that the machine wasn't a re-generation of the older Tenere but a new build, with typical new build problems

Just my opinion

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Must highlight here, I have an issue with Triumph as a company and their franchise, not the bike.

The Tiger has done 6000 miles now and has NEVER LET ME DOWN! 2500 miles across Europe to the Stella Alpina rally in Italy, up the mountain and back with no dramas other than a small electrical fault.

Worn Bridgestones aren't the biggest issue with the Tiger handling, but a new set of Anakees next week will definately improve things, it needs the suspension tuned a bit better, screwed up for luggage has made it a tad firm! Although the time SteveT's on about was pure and simply dangerous.

The brakes I find sharp enough for me, two fingers can lift the rear off the deck under pressure so ample. Tonight was my first real night in the dark and the lights are far better than the older Tiger but still not a patch on the Varadero. Fuelwise, I'm averaging 56 to 58mpg UK, for the extra bhp, I'm happy enough with that!

The Tiger has loads of character, puts a grin on my face every outing and thank f*ck it's not a BMW!

If Triumph UK continue to give me grief over this bike I will set fire to it, no doubt in my mind. The last correspondence from them was warning me my warranty would be void as I use my local bike dealer to service the bike? F*ck them!

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
F*ck them!
Have you spent too much time in the back of Cabbys Cab?? :toothy10:
but is it not sad,we got our "dream" bikes and dealers or companys give us so much sh*t that one starts considering getting a different bike.
:(
These guys should be happy that a few people in the country still can afford to ride bikes

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Have you spent too much time in the back of Cabbys Cab?? :toothy10:
but is it not sad,we got our "dream" bikes and dealers or companys give us so much sh*t that one starts considering getting a different bike.
:(
These guys should be happy that a few people in the country still can afford to ride bikes
It's a fact Vader, sorry for my language, I was, and still am pretty damned emotional about the hassle that Triumph have created for me. I explained the logistics involved and how my local dealer had resolved that issue and convinced me the Tiger wouldn't be a problem. ....YET,,,,, here I sit, the weekend's almost here and the Tiger's still not in for a service. :(

As the rear tyre on the Varadero is now illegal I now have two bikes, cost me over £15 grand over the last two yrs and their both now laid up with the last weekend of the season approaching (I'm on call the last weekend of Oct), and no bike to go out on.
I suppose it's my fault for using the last of the rear tyre on the Vara last weekend or running up the miles on the Tiger above the service limit, but hopefully I'll get a tyre fitted before the weekend so the Mighty Varadero can fill in, yet again! Just like it did at Galloway, just like it did a Cumbria, just like it did last weekend, just like it has most of the summer due to the Tiger being either recalled or away getting serviced or in getting parts replaced under warranty,,,, the f*cking list goes on and on! See? I'm getting all emotional,,, yet again!

Bring on the weekend, a pair of gaitors and a pair of fork seals and the Ickle Beemer will be re-incarnated! At last, a fun bike to play on! That won't let me down LOL!

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
The Tiger has loads of character, puts a grin on my face every outing and thank f*ck it's not a BMW!
Bring on the weekend, a pair of gaitors and a pair of fork seals and the Ickle Beemer will be re-incarnated! At last, a fun bike to play on! That won't let me down LOL!

MMmmm double standards :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Tongue in cheek Mike, tongue in cheek,,,,,, bloody foreigners!

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
MMmmm double standards :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Not really, as the 'Ickle Beemer wasn't made by BMW, it just wears a BMW badge. It was put together by the Italians, along side the Pegaso in the Aprilla factory. Bestest Itiy? manufacturing methinks ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts