Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit sad really,,,, given that I've been riding bikes for 32 years,,,,, but I need advice on what chain to buy.

In my defence, the last time I bought a chain was for my Fizz in 1976,,,, and then I had to save up for the cheapest one I could find,,,,
My 250G5 didn't need one in the year I owned it,,, and then I bought a CX,,, and then another CX,,, and then a Suzuki GS850,,,,, and then a Guzzi,,,, followed by the first of 6 Harleys in 1989,,,,,,

So although I've had a few smaller bikes along side the bigger stuff over the years,,,, none of them stayed around long enough to wear the chain out,,,,,, until now,,,,,

Which is where the Transalp comes in,,,,

I bought a 1987 TA 600 with 60,000km on the clock 4 years ago as a winter hack, so my Harley could stay clean, fully intending to punt it out the following spring.
Of course, it turned out to be one of the bestest, most funest bikes I've ever owned,,,,, so it's still here, with 85,000km on the clock,,,, and the chain is buggered.

I know the wise advice is to always fit a genuine Honda front sprocket, to protect the shaft splines from wear,,,,, But the front sprocket on mine isn't Honda, the only thing marked on it is "Fabrique en France", it was on the bike when I bought it, and my shaft is perfect (stop sniggering at the back,,, you know what I mean). Could it be that correct adjustment is the key thing, rather than brand?

So what do I buy?
Any recommendations?

I know nothing about chains, "O" ring,,,,, "X" ring,,,, means nowt to me.
Looking for a chain & sprocket kit that will cope with riding in shitty weather getting mud (and worse) slung over it on a regular basis (never off road, just rural roads and the occasional gravel track through the forests).

While I'm asking,,,
recommendations for a chain removal / fitting tool would be useful too,,,,,,,,,,

sorry for the newby question, but it's new to me,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go for a good make, like DiD or reynolds, X ring is supposed to be better, dont buy cheap crap, as it will not last, you should get a link splitter/rivetter of ebay for less than a tenner !!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Don't go cheap get a heavy duty DID x-ring and for long life they still need regular care & attention (cleaning, lubing & setting to the correct tension) - as for removal I use a Machine Mart angle grinder and to fit, an off-the-shelf unbranded riveter.

Also inspect and if necessary replace cush drive rubbers.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
As above, I'd go DID x ring chain (apparently forgeries are out there so use a reputable source), I use oe front sprocket bit I'm sure a DID c&s kit will be fine.
Grinder to chop the chain off, rivet kit to errr, rivet it - don't over do it though.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is a bit sad really,,,, given that I've been riding bikes for 32 years,,,,, but I need advice on what chain to buy.

In my defence, the last time I bought a chain was for my Fizz in 1976,,,, and then I had to save up for the cheapest one I could find,,,,
My 250G5 didn't need one in the year I owned it,,, and then I bought a CX,,, and then another CX,,, and then a Suzuki GS850,,,,, and then a Guzzi,,,, followed by the first of 6 Harleys in 1989,,,,,,

So although I've had a few smaller bikes along side the bigger stuff over the years,,,, none of them stayed around long enough to wear the chain out,,,,,, until now,,,,,

Which is where the Transalp comes in,,,,

I bought a 1987 TA 600 with 60,000km on the clock 4 years ago as a winter hack, so my Harley could stay clean, fully intending to punt it out the following spring.
Of course, it turned out to be one of the bestest, most funest bikes I've ever owned,,,,, so it's still here, with 85,000km on the clock,,,, and the chain is buggered.

I know the wise advice is to always fit a genuine Honda front sprocket, to protect the shaft splines from wear,,,,, But the front sprocket on mine isn't Honda, the only thing marked on it is "Fabrique en France", it was on the bike when I bought it, and my shaft is perfect (stop sniggering at the back,,, you know what I mean). Could it be that correct adjustment is the key thing, rather than brand?

So what do I buy?
Any recommendations?

I know nothing about chains, "O" ring,,,,, "X" ring,,,, means nowt to me.
Looking for a chain & sprocket kit that will cope with riding in shitty weather getting mud (and worse) slung over it on a regular basis (never off road, just rural roads and the occasional gravel track through the forests).

While I'm asking,,,
recommendations for a chain removal / fitting tool would be useful too,,,,,,,,,,

sorry for the newby question, but it's new to me,,,,,,,,,,
just to confuse you a bit more....the stock size for chain and sprockets for an pre '91 600TA is

Chain - 118 Links / 525 Pitch | Front Sprocket - 15 Tooth | Rear Sprocket - 47 Tooth

post '91, sprocket centre says chain should be 120 links

I say: see what David Silver is selling OEM. I used a 15T from an AT and a 50T rear (same ratio, less wear...so they say.)

DID, Regina and RK are all decent....see which is on special offer:thumb:

I use a link press type here not for regular use, but good enough for an infrequent chain fitter

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies,
tools look to be a bit of a minefield, I've seen chain riviters ranging from £6 to over £100
In the abscence of user recommendations for a particular brand I was going try to find something I can actually see "in the flesh" in a shop rather than online, don't want to end up buying tools made of Chinese cheese,,,,,,,,,,,,, but the Tusk one looks like it should be worth a punt at that price :thumbright:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts