Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question folks, i am about to do an oil and filter change to my 89 and cannot remember if it was sump first then downtube or vice versa. It was only four months ago too :( and did i, do i dip the filter in fresh oil or put in dry ? Bloody hell i'm doting :rolleyes:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not saying I'm correct but I:

Undo and drain top drain plug from the frame. When this has stopped making a mess on the floor I undo the engine drain plug.

If I am changing the filter I lean the bike over carefully to get a bit of the oil out of the filter housing. I just chuck a new filter in replace the drain plugs and fill with oil.

I know some people coat the filter in oil but so far its not damaged my bike to my knowledge. I'm sure within seconds its saturated with oil any way.

I couldn't really do that on the new bike either as its a canister type and at an angle where the oil would cover the floor.

Thinking back to when I worked in a garage (car mechanic) we just smeared oil on the rubber ring.

As I say my method while I'm sure is what a lot of people do may not be correct.

I normally change the oil every 2000 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts