Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, myself and the lovely Mr Mabel went again on a little trip this weekend. We travelled up to north wales with minimal use of the main roads. It was a fantastic ride. The plan was to ride up on friday night, meet up with our Mountain rescue mates climb and walk on saturday, pub saturday night then home on sunday.

We left Bridgend at 11am and went ogmore vale up to Hirwaun and then to the Ystradfelltre and Heol Senni road to Libinus.

We followed lots of mountain roads, and headed out towards Builth Wells and then onto Rhyader which is where the fun really started.

We found a fantastic B road (B4528 for those who are interested). towards Llanidloes. It was very twisty and uppy and downy.

We travelled over the mountain passes and stopped at Llyn Clywedog for a cup of tea. then onto Dinas Mwyddy and up over a very very steep pass with lots of mad suicidal sheep. THe road over Dinas Mwyddy was great to ride on

I had to wait for Mr Mabel on several occasions

We went up through the Aran Mountain range and stopped at the top of a lovely road where we met another bloke on an older transalp (great taste in bikes)
The view from the little parking layby was great

Mr Mabel decided to try out his bike off road (a little) Twinkletoes refused and I felt it unfair to force the poor old thing.

We headed down towards trawsfynedd over the mountain road, and picked up yet another Mountain road above ffestiniog
THere was one particular road that had loads of gates that we had to open and close, some were particulary interesting because they were on really steep hills which made parking the bike to shut the gates was really scary

and then down to Bettws y coed, Where we saw some poor old things on a couple of GS's - I am sure they will see sense soon

From Bettws we headed down the fantastic Llanberris pass, we stopped at Petes eats for dinner. We then headed out to the campsite at the foot of Tryfan

Here is the view from the tent

On Saturday we took a couple of the newer guys in the team up the mountain, had some fantastic weather.

Mr Mabel and our mate dave halfway up Tryfan - tired old things needed a rest

It was a glorious day and the first time some of these guys had done any proper mountains, Tryfan is more of a scramble than a walk so a great sense of achievement at the top.

it the started to rain, and I got very soggy

ALthough still kept my sense of humour, we took about 8 hours to climb Tryfan and then walk around the ridge behind it, once we got back to the tents we had a very welcome cup of tea followed by a cold beer and dinner

Sunday morning I got roped into cooking breakfast for the lads before we headed off back home

On the way home we stopped off at RAC corner and look who we bumped in to

We had a fantastic weekend with some great riding and even better climbing and walking.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Looks like a great weekend. Sometimes it's well worth looking for those non-standard roads between A and B.

I've been along at least one of them and got pretty much the same picture!

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
keep them coming mabel down here in essex its as flat as piss on a plate :roll: we can only dream of hills and scenery like that :lol:

great pics and looks like a good time was had by all :D

G

·
Chad said:
keep them coming mabel down here in essex its as flat as piss on a plate :roll: we can only dream of hills and scenery like that :lol:

great pics and looks like a good time was had by all :D
Chad, you've such a way with words ! :D

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dee Duble Yuh said:
Looks like a great weekend. Sometimes it's well worth looking for those non-standard roads between A and B.

I've been along at least one of them and got pretty much the same picture!
I recognise that bit of road, its great down there.

Chad and everyone else I have been thinking about planning a camping weekend in the summer, there are some great little mountain campsites that we know. We will be taking mini mabel so kids will be welcome. Would anyone be interested in making it an XRV family weekend away????? bikes if able :lol: otherwise cars if not. :cry:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
With enough warning so i could get the time off,i would be there.Maybe me with the bike and my wife and kid with the car. They probably would stay at her uncle's.
Hey mabel,Macp and i will be coming up on the 18th of june for a few days riding about. thought we maybe could meet on sunday afternoon when we arrive since i don't know where you live i am not sure if it is possible at all but it would be nice to meet you all.
We will be going to Mallwyd at least near by so maybe we could meet up :) :) :)

G

·
Would definitely be up for a family camping weekend, little legs loves going on bike and camping too, unfortunately as she comes to stay every weekend I can't really get out on the ride outs :( , but this sounds like a top idea :D :D :D count me in :thumbright:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was looking at those pics and thinking - I've gotta go there sometime!! It's places like that that define why we ride bikes!! 8)
You see Chad, that wasn't so difficult :wink:

Let us know when, how, what etc. etc - I'd love to go along!!!

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
great idea mabel see what you can do date wise . i'll see what you come up with i do seem to have a full calender for the next few months though im sure i could sneek out somtime in august :D :D :D

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking of August time, let me have a look at my diary and the calender and I will post something in the calender towards the end of next week. (Thats assuming that I am able to use the calender all my previous attempts have failed)

If there are any dates that are absolutely off limits let me know before mid next week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts