Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads!

I recently fitted some new tires, and to begin with I tried the 39psi on the rear, as indicated on the tire, and about the same on the front. It sounded like a lot compared to my old Anakees ... and I simply couldn't keep the bike going straight. When I leaned just a little, they really wanted to turn a lot. Now I have gone down to the usual 29/29psi and it's still really uncomfortable, especially when I lean a bit.

Has anyone got these tires, and can tell me what pressure I should use?

Thanks so much, and Merry Xmas to all of you!

12360218_10153849623269901_6523633921193767940_n.jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't know the T63 but I'm using TKC80's (front and rear) for years on both my AT's.

Road solo: f/r 2.0 to 2.1bar
Road solo, with luggage: f: 2.0 to 2.1bar, r: 2.1 to 2.2bar

Off-road solo with luggage: f: 1.9 to 2.0bar, r: 1.8 to 2.0bar depending on how soft the ground is

The TKC80 "really wants to turn a lot", that was also my first impression. Took me some 500k's to get used to it.
Now, riding a bike that does not have TKC80's my impression is "Will that thing ever turn".

Cheers
Markus

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I went on a ride yesterday, with the standard pressure, and although they still wanted to turn, it felt much better after 150km. They are my first knobbies on the AT, so it's probably just the way they handle. They have excellent grip, by the way. Perhaps even better than my old Anakee II ...

Thanks for the help, guys!

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Merry Xmas Thomas

Knobblies are very different to the road tyres you have been using and all bikes will have that effect of the bike wanting to drop into corners

Regarding pressures I used TKCs a coiuple of times and ran them at 30 psi max and a little less off road. They are soft and grip well but don't last long

Off road they are OK till it gets muddy and they clog up

I now use MITAS E09 Dakars which are much harder and last twice as long. Better off road due to bigger block spacing and having better mud shedding abilities

Be careful not to use brakes when cornereing or else you will wear the frint out very quickly

I don't use brakes and got 1200 miles out of the front TKC and it was gone. The rear made it to 1600 miles

Reactions: TJE

·
Space Emperor
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Merry Xmas, Paul, and thanks for the guidance!

1200 miles??? On the front?? That certainly wasn't much! That means I have to start looking around for replacements already (they don't come easy on these parts of the globe)

What is the frint? Or did you mean front?

Merry Xmas Thomas

Knobblies are very different to the road tyres you have been using and all bikes will have that effect of the bike wanting to drop into corners

Regarding pressures I used TKCs a coiuple of times and ran them at 30 psi max and a little less off road. They are soft and grip well but don't last long

I now use MITAS E09 Dakars which are much harder and last twice as long. Better off road due to bigger block spacing and having better mud shedding abilities

Be careful not to use brakes when cornereing or else you will wear the frint out very quickly

I don't use brakes and got 1200 miles out of the front TKC and it was gone. The rear made it to 1600 miles

·
Very Enthusiastic Member
391 Posts
Wow I wonder if it was the spec Paul. I got quite a bit more than 1600miles from a 90/90 - 21MC 54T when compared with a
90/90 - 21MC 54S (someone gave me this so I took it) and also I possibly ride half as hard :D

Merry Xmas Thomas

·
Registered
755 Posts
My TKC's have done about 5k (pretty much all commuting-type or long motorway miles on tar) and they've worked best for me at 30/30.

I tried going a bit higher and lower by a few psi but 30 seems a good balance (probly in fact 29/29 as I use my local BP garage's airline to top up, and IIRC you usually drop about 1 psi when you disconnect the big ol' valve) :)

They're not bald, but wearing very low, and they're not as responsive in the wet these last 1k miles as they were when newer, and I've um'd and aa'd about trying something else on the bike soon, but for what tyres cost for new, I'll most probly replace the TKC's with the same, as I like them and I'm used to 'em :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Thomas

Yes I meant Front

Olionel - I do ride fast and smooth (which some people feel is riding hard), no point in pootling around

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you ever find yourself venturing off tarmac I found that 18-20psi is good for TKCs... Just FYI.

Slidey

·
Registered
161 Posts
I swapped from Tourance to TKC front/Mitas 09 Dakar rear at the beginning of the summer. It took ages to scrub in (250km?) felt very turny to start, and I eventually settled on about 29psi front and back. Dropping to 20psi off-road helps a lot and doesn't seem to increase puncture risk too much. I swapped to Mitas E10 front and rear for Morocco and didn't notice much difference in feel. Great tires, 29psi, 20 for soft off-road. I got about 3500km out of the TKC/09 pair, and more from the E10s - maybe 5500km. Fronts seem to wear as fast as rears, and both TKC and E10 fronts wore badly after a while. The pic is the TKC, but the E10 is doing the same now.
TKC.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts