Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about doing an trail/green-lane event on the @, I've got a rear TKC I can pop on but I'm wondering about going for something more aggressive up front.

I'm sure it's not recommended to mix road tyre types but would there be any reason not to mix more chunky tyres, assuming I'm not hacking up and down the motorway? Don't really want to buy two tyres as I'm trying to keep the costs down, plus the TKC is sitting there unused at present.

Thinking of trying an MT21 up front or maybe one of the Karoo tyres, but I guess the MT21 is going to be cheaper. I'll only leave them on for potentially muddy exploits.

Any advice welcomed...

Cheers
David

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
MT21 will work well, lot of guys on the trf use them and I know they have been used with good effect on alps.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
TKC80 at rear and MT21 up front is a very common combo when driving on Gravel roads.

The MT21 is considered to "bite" harder into the gravel.

//Kjell

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I agree, a lot of guys on the trf circles use a trials back tyre of any denomination, I never thought it would grip but it does and the mt21 gives superb steering in soft mud and gravel.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Definate good choice:thumbup: Mt21 will give you good grip if it gets muddy also, especially compared to TKC that doesnt fair so well in mud.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks chaps, sounds like the way to go.

Mate who rides an enduro bike told me that the front gripping was almost more important than the back so as to avoid loosing it; off to find a cheap MT21 then :thumbright:

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts