Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - this thread will contain information about where we are up to with the organisation of TLD 2011. Feedback from last years ride suggested riders found it too difficult to find the information they were after. As a result there is this thread which will contain bullet point factual information only, making it easier to get what you need. We will also have the website up and running soon. This thread is for general updates and information to let you know where the organisers are up to, in case you think they're all at the pub and doing sweet FA !!! The organisers of next years event have been beavering away in the background and will post up a general update as to where they are here, later this evening. Stand by your radios :D

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
'So where are we up to ?'

Fellow TLD Riders

Now that the ride and committee have been decided, I have the dubious task of bringing everyone up to date with what is going on. This year it was decided by the XRV hierarchy to keep the organizing committee to a minimum, I can't comment on how their choices were made, just that we were asked and have agreed to help out, that doesn't mean to say we won't be coming to the members for additional assistance where required and if offered.

So where are we at the moment ?

The committee consists of Sharrie, Alslapper, Bankingmadscot, DC, PDSquire, myself.
The date of the run is the weekend of 18th & 19th June 2011.
The ride as chosen by the forum vote is Blackpool Tower to the Eiffel Tower
The charity is Make a Wish Foundation.
The web site is being worked on and re-designed and should be completed mid-November
The T-shirt/decal design is in the finally stages of design and will be launched at the same time as the web site becomes live.
T-shirt/decal printers & suppliers have been sourced and will be ready to receive orders soon; you will be able to do this via the web site, and it is not compulsory to buy anything, except the decals.
Euro Tunnel have offered us a discount on the train crossing from Folkestone, and a very generous discount it is too, and we are very grateful for their kind offer. (Details on how to book available soon)
Accommodation in Blackpool and Paris; this is a work in progress at the moment, so details will follow shortly, this will hopefully include a discount, but riders are free to make they own arrangements if they don't wont to take advantage of anything we can negotiate with a hotel chain.
A route has been decided upon, a non motorway route, (to make it more of a challenge) but this is purely an advisory route and it will be up to the individual rider to take whatever route they want.
We are keen that riders take responsibility for their own bookings where possible, but in some cases where we have managed to get a discount, a group booking may be necessary to secure it, in this case we would ask that payment be made as soon as possible, so we all don't lose out.
We may have a slight twist to this year's event, in that a group of riders from the French Bike forum, BikeClubFrance may be doing our route but in reverse, they will also be riding for Make A Wish Foundation, and there maybe a chance for some of us to meet at the Ace on our respective trips. More news on this later.

There is still a lot to do, but we are working our way through the different bits of planning, so hopefully it will come together on the day, and we can all enjoy another Longest Day Ride.

There has been some disquiet as to whether the ride is challenging enough, well Google maps says 17 and half hours, and perhaps in the past the challenge has been just too much for some riders and that has put them off joining. At the end of the day this ride is about XRV, a group of like minded people enjoying a ride out, over a weekend and raising money for a very worthwhile children's charity.

Back soon when we have more to tell, if you have any immediate questions, please post up and we will do our best to answer them :thumbup:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I do hope all of the team makes it this year. :thumbright:

Dossing in Blackpool, I have just got back from there today. Speaking with Pete who is the owner of the Coast Riders Biker Cafe (2 miles out side Blackpool central). He has an amazing set up there as well as about 7 acres of land for camping. He is in the process of setting up a bunk house too.

His place has full eating facility and also a BAR!! :blob7: a big shiny BAR with lots of bike stuff TWO pool tables and off road secure parking for our babies.

If you want GOGGYKINS I can speak to him and or introduce you about what may be needed? Give me a blast on the cell as I am away working now for 4 days.

This place is brand new and I would like to support an old biker in his efforts to set something up for bikers.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
177 views and 1 reply from Jamesie691, guess that means your all happy so far ? :confused:
Your post was succinct and told me everything I needed to know.... so far :p

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
All sounds great! Like the French twist too. If we get a location like what James found too then you could even some coming back with them to Blackpool I'm sure. Otherwise mention a houseswap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wookie in leather
136 Posts
I will do my best to attend this year now that health is a darn sight better, need to get a permission slip from the missus first though (not an easy thing to get when you consider she will hav given birth a month or two prior).

Only problem I see is how are we supposed to go via Northern Ireland to get the bacon butties in?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree sounds great and certainly in the diary for next year ! ! Also planning on for a bit of a tour round France if anyone is up for that after the run.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Only problem I see is how are we supposed to go via Northern Ireland to get the bacon butties in?
You lot can start at Helens Tower. Bring over some decent black puddin and soda bread for my breky. We'll educate the French too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
I will do my best to attend this year now that health is a darn sight better, need to get a permission slip from the missus first though (not an easy thing to get when you consider she will hav given birth a month or two prior).

aww Little Bro is on the mend! :thumbright:

Permission? :p You may wish to try saying you are going......because you are so happy with your new child that you want to do something for parents less fortunate - you then break out the make a wish leaflet. Presto! not only are you going but you are one helluva nice guy for doing it and her little hero! It's all in the psychological delivery LB :cool:

Then again you may not want to take advice from a guy whose idea of a long term relationship is hanging around for breakfast! :blob5:

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
With a monumental thanks to Barry and Russ - Barkingmadscot and Digitalcaptive - who worked slavishly through the long nights, burning their wicks at both ends, forgoing food and heating to get the website up and running I have the honour of announcing that

www.thelongestday.org.uk is now up and running.

:thumbright:

It needs a few tweeks and the rider registration and shop section are being refined so not online yet - but they will be soon. We're waiting for pricing information.

Also, Barry has developed some facebook thingy - he explained it all to me, but my brains started oozing out my ears - basically, LOGIN WITH FACEBOOK (under the Login Section) on the website to link to the facebook page and help promote the ride. All updates on the facebook site will be sent to your door, or wall, or window or something. Basically, just click everything and vote you like it, and allow it and yeah, that's it .. just click click click click click!!!!!

:D

·
almost human !!!
757 Posts
All looking very good. Well done the team. Hope to be taking part next year was totally gutted I missed this year.

Ash

1 - 20 of 66 Posts