Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since the ride is now decided - next years ride will be The 5 Peaks - here's my suggestion for route planning:

As it was Jason's suggestion, and he's Welsh, and he lives in Wales, he does the Welsh Route.

As Boris is Scotish and lives in Scotch Drinking Land, and rescues lost riders as a hobby, he does the Scotish Route

And as Paul-S fancies himself as a bit of a tasty A and B road dramatist, he does the English Route.

The three of you get together and sort it out and come back to us when the route is done.

*sigh*

I love it when all the mods and hardcore committee members are at sea, lost, on the way to Germany or drunk in Essex.

I can do what I want.

It's great.

Right - get to it lads, and don't set a foot back here till it's done.

That's the Route taken care of.

What's next :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

(There's no news comming in on the wires from this years TLDers and I'm bored:toothy2:)

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
The Fuehrer does approve of that:thumbup::hitler::D

I am not allowed to post the rest as Sharrie is theatening me with pain:toothy4:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've beem messing about on Google maps, has any body realised just how much more serious 5 peaks is than the previous trips,
JOG- Lands end approx 15 hrs 840 miles no ferry
5 capitals approx 10 1/2 hrs 570 miles 2 ferrys
RFS approx 11 1/2 hrs 585 miles 1 ferry
5 peaks approx 20 1/2 hrs 960 miles 1 ferry

its ok for people to do it including climbing the peaks in 48 hrs,
21 climbing and 27 traveling/resting/eating whilst someone else drives

most people will have a good days travel to the start, (I'm assuming Carrantuohill)
( I was traveling home for 11 hrs and I'm nearer than most)
Is it intended to make it a one day event? 20 1/2 hrs riding and 3 hrs for the ferry including booking in time may be possible for an individual but a large group? and no "craic" at the end
Or will it be a two day event meaning that with travel there and back it's a four day undertaking ?
I don't want to seem negative but we need to think carefully before we commit to a ride that may be unrealistic for a large group.

just my thoughts:happy6:

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is a good point and this is going to take some serious planning.:sunny:
The recognised six peaks are:

Snaefell on the Isle of Man
Ben Nevis in Scotland
Scafell Pike in England
Snowdon in Wales
Slieve Donard in Northern Ireland
Carrantuohill in the Republic of Ireland

But there are so many other peaks such as Mam Tor, Derbyshire, 10 miles from Jelly’s.:D

Just for example, so don’t bite my head off.:toothy2:

Ben Nevis to Scafell Pike to Mam Tor to Snowdon to Liverpool Docks 612 miles, about 13 hours 31 mins
(depending on route and diversion to Jelly’s)

Ferry to Isle of Man, 2 hours 45 mins (Not cheap, but I’m basing it on prices today.)

Final leg Douglas to Snaefell on the Isle of Man, 10 miles, about 20 mins

Five Peaks, 622 miles ish, 14 hours on bike and 1 ferry 2 hours 45 mins.

I’m not ignoring the Irish peaks, I was just trying to keep the hours and mileage down. There are so many Peaks and routes.

Looking at this website these are the top 25 peaks UK prominent peaks - Top 25

But they hold the details of 1565 hills peaks etc
UK prominent peaks - downloads

The choices then become ridiculous.

Hmmm Help, or Hindrance?:thumbright:

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the distinct impression we want to avoid ferrys next year.

They are a nightmare of pdsquire underpants proportions.

5 peaks - 3 countries - England, Scotland, Wales.

Doable?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got the distinct impression we want to avoid ferrys next year.

They are a nightmare of pdsquire underpants proportions.

5 peaks - 3 countries - England, Scotland, Wales.

Doable?
Very Doable, in fact more than 5 peaks. :cool:

:rolleyes: Just a UK map, a box of pins, string, gaffer tape and a model of Tracy Island and Thunderbirds are Go.

I put the Isle of Man in my example as I was looking for an end point with lots of camp sites, hostels, B&Bs and pubs that would be looking for bikers to visit just after the TT.:eek:ccasion8:

If it is to be mainland UK, its just a case of which 5 Peaks surely.

I know don’t call me Shirley.

Its OK, I’ll get my coat.:sunny:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
have been looking route(s), i really dont fancy it, and scotland is my weekend playground, i have covered pretty much every road.

I have been down around the well Lakes / Dales / Moors

Once a route is done, i will let you know

·
Registered
195 Posts
have been looking route(s), i really dont fancy it, and scotland is my weekend playground, i have covered pretty much every road.

I have been down around the well Lakes / Dales / Moors

Once a route is done, i will let you know
:D Errr wouldn't you be one of the most qualified people on here to suggest a route :thumbup:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
doing the 3 peaks in Scotland/england/wales doesnt fill a day

doing

Ben Nevis in Scotland
Scafell Pike in England

Snowdon in Wales

is about 420ish miles, 8ish using motorways, about 11ish not, that would be taking it easy, dont get me wrong the road down via glen cloe is an amazing road to ride but there is loads of police about in the summer, also i think if they know hunderd bike where heading down + the normal bike traffic its asking for trouble, plus the carvans, coaches

I had a look and the blackpool to pairs (towers), non-motorway, this looks more interesting and finishes somewhere i havent been, which appeals more to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
as a very slight diversion maybe, what are you calling the peaks - do you have to go up them, close to them , within 50 miles of one? what about the highest passes maybe near those peaks etc

it then gets to be a bit more Adventure biking - making it even for the africa twins trans alps and other more trial based bikes etc rather that blasting around the country, all on the best roads, smoothest tarmac you can find, on comfy V stroms/tigers/GC'c and Varaderos.

Just a thought.

Ps having just got back from the TLD2010 i might take back the note about comfy - once i can get off my cushion that is.:cool:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
as a very slight diversion maybe, what are you calling the peaks - do you have to go up them, close to them , within 50 miles of one? what about the highest passes maybe near those peaks etc

it then gets to be a bit more Adventure biking - making it even for the africa twins trans alps and other more trial based bikes etc rather that blasting around the country, all on the best roads, smoothest tarmac you can find, on comfy V stroms/tigers/GC'c and Varaderos.

Just a thought.

Ps having just got back from the TLD2010 i might take back the note about comfy - once i can get off my cushion that is.:cool:
As most of bikes are road bikes, then offroad isnt really an option.

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
I guess another thing, if the ride appears easy ish then more riders might join getting us to 100 maybe plus bikes. More riders more money for the charity

So staying with A and B, but staying off the Motorways would be a good idea i think

·
Registered
30 Posts
another consideration is that if the route could be started in maybe 2 or three different places then there wouldtn be as big a crowd of bikes which may make planning easier. or run from both ends , crossing in the middle dependant on where people want to start/finish.

i think thats enough suggestions from me now:)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
You have all heard of the 3 peaks run Ben Nevis , Scarfell, Snowdon in 24hrs.
Because of the difficulty of riding a bike up Brown tongue and down the Pyg track.
Why not do the 5 peaks starting at Pen y fan in South Wales, then Pen Y Pass Snowdon then up to Wasdale head, still North to the Caingorm ski centre then west to Glen Nevis. At these locations riders must take a picture of them selves or bike at the visitors notice boards or information centres and at the end we find a Hotel and get drunk distance is about 800 miles. I think the last part is necessary.
. Didn't J pretty much describe the route in his original description of the event? I would one of the Yorkshire peaks for completeness.

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
I'm all for any idea/route that avoids ferries completly - and I'm not the only one. They completly screwed me this time round and if they are involved next year I prolly wont take part. We should maybe think seriuously about a very basic ride that caters for everyone (possibly an orienteering type where you get points for each peak visited) but in any shape it should aim to get rider numbers up - the last 2 TLDs have seen basically the same bunch as far as I could tell and more is better as far as fund-raising goes to me.

Anyway, in short if its mainlan UK in any form I'm in - any ferries and I'm out I'm afraid............

·
Brrrummm!
317 Posts
I know I have come far too late for this (I voted for the 4 Corner's Ride) conversation, but would it not have been better to nominate the Charity First (MAWF) and then have a selection of Rides, maybe more than one, complimenting the chosen Charity. Start and Finish could even be at the same location.

Mark
:thumbup:

See you at the National!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have to agree with Barkingmadscott. The peaks is a lot of M way riding (god only knows how boring that is) in order to get the time done in one day. Then there is the issue of the ferries if you take in Ireland AND the Isle of Man. Then I don't think that is doable for many riders.

Splitting up the event from start pionts makes it less riders and one of the main things about the 2009 ride was the sight of 50 plus bikes snaking through the roads. It was glorious to see, those that do not like riding in the pack simply hung back.

Having had time to look at things I think the Towers would be a much better run. Blackpool to Eifel without motorway.

This would also make it possible for L plate riders and smaller bikes to come along.

You could even make it the 3 towers

Blackpool Tower
London Tower bridge
Eifel Tower

It leaves us all in Paris for a night on the town - Interesting City indeed.

Ferries could be gone as the chunnel is cheaper and more flexible - you're early then you get that train, you are late, you get the next one. A Train every 30 mins or so and they run 24 hours. So should anyone have an urgent need to bolt home then you are not stuck waiting on a ferry or a very costly change.

No need to have XRV pay in advance - give the train times and then people book it themself. I think you can get a return for maybe £25 or something! Plus pick up some duty free in Calais :thumbright:

If you are rigid on doing the peaks then of course best of luck sorting something out that would appeal to as many. The choice of course is yours.

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Mmmmm, I've got to agree with James and Barry here - although I dont want to do ferries, the flexibility of the tunnel appeals to me and landing up in Paris, like Barry, somewhere I've never been also appeals.....

Whatever........

1 - 20 of 54 Posts