Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen nev & co in Paris. Nev has battery problems & is waiting for the honda dealer to open tomorrow morning at 08h30.

I stopped by the "hostel" at about 11 this morning, no sign of any of our riders & the guy on the desk a) didn't speak french & b) had no idea if any english bikers had stayed there overnight & had no inclination to try & find out. Also a decidedly dodgy area with contraband cigarette deals going down before my very eyes... I moved on rapidly... texted Barkingmadscot & then nev phoned & we met up at the arc de triomphe. I just got home now. Nev thinks that there was a problem with a lack of beds at the hostel, I hope no body had to sleep rough...?

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Re: The Longest Day 2011

Nev thinks that there was a problem with a lack of beds at the hostel, I hope no body had to sleep rough...?
Bike security problems, Moon. We didn't fancy parking our bikes outside all night - particularly not a lovely, shiny Rocket III - and the functionary at the nearby secure parking wanted to charge E2.80 per bike per hour. "Pour les motos?!" I asked incredulously. "Take it or leave it!" he replied, charmingly.

Plan B was hatched: head for the airport and find a cheap hotel. If that failed, keep going til we passed one or sleep in a bush. Happily the airport idea worked. Accommodation for eleven arranged, secure parking and a lock-in in the bar with a hideously-toothed chap who'd had a number of Cuba Libres and used to live in Glasgow. He thought 'Gog' was the finest name he'd ever heard.

I set off with James 691 late this morning and had a blast through N France and a rather quicker blast along the M20 home.

Spare a thought for GOG who fell foul of the stunningly badly-designed Parisian bus lanes and wondered whether he had broken a rib on his way down.

I'll post again, but as I said last night, all credit is due to Gog and Barkinmadscot for making another successful event. More is learned every year and with 80% of riders being non-XRV the event's popularity speaks for itself. Excellent stuff, lads!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just back from the Tower to Tower ride.................16.5 hours and 868 kilometres. No problem with protestors or Gendarmes during the whole French leg and although very busy at the Tour Eiffel, we certainly didn't experience any problems..............great ride and I will certainly be hoping to join the 2012 trip !

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
The Mighty Pan before the off.
CIMG6084.jpg
Lovely Blackpool.
CIMG6085.jpg
Wise advice, rarely heeded!
CIMG6089.jpg
4:45, Blackpool Prom
CIMG6091.jpg
Is that Derek? Always in a hurry to get somewhere...
CIMG6092.jpg
CIMG6093.jpg
What a beautiful landmark!
CIMG6094.jpg
Unexpected calendar shot
CIMG6095.jpg CIMG6096.jpg CIMG6097.jpg
At the Chunnel
CIMG6098.jpg CIMG6099.jpg CIMG6100.jpg CIMG6101.jpg
Here they come!
CIMG6102.jpg CIMG6103.jpg CIMG6104.jpg CIMG6105.jpg CIMG6106.jpg CIMG6107.jpg
CIMG6108.jpg CIMG6109.jpg CIMG6110.jpg CIMG6112.jpg CIMG6113.jpg CIMG6114.jpg CIMG6115.jpg CIMG6117.jpg CIMG6118.jpg CIMG6120.jpg CIMG6121.jpg CIMG6122.jpg CIMG6123.jpg CIMG6125.jpg CIMG6126.jpg CIMG6127.jpg CIMG6128.jpg CIMG6129.jpg CIMG6132.jpg CIMG6133.jpg CIMG6134.jpg CIMG6137.jpg CIMG6138.jpg CIMG6139.jpg CIMG6140.jpg CIMG6141.jpg
Only the bleedin Arc de Triomphe!
CIMG6143.jpg CIMG6144.jpg
Only the bleedin' Tour Eiffel!
CIMG6145.jpg CIMG6146.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts

Just got home and having a nice cup of tea after a fantastic, if somewhat wet few days.

Firstly, big thanks again to Phil for helping with the puncture. On the way from the hotel to the start in Blackpool, I managed to pick up a nail in the rear tyre, which I noticed due to the noise of it hitting the hugger on every rotation! As it was 4.30am and the tyre appeared safe-ish, Phil offered to take Caroline (Mrs Bignose) as pillion to reduce the weight on my bike and the decision was made to ride until somewhere was open for it to be replaced. That somewhere turned out to be a place Phil knew in Lambeff, innit! Unfortunately the piece of metal sticking out the rear prevented us from having fun on any twisties and the delay getting a new tyre and getting out of South London meant the rest of the trip was a bit of a dash. But we managed to get to Calais for 6pm, still made it to the Bulldog Cafe, negotiated the roadworks on Avenue Lenine (aka Baghdad), checked into the hotel before reception closed and parked up at the Eiffel Tower at 11.45pm. Job Done! We hope the guys on the Ducati managed to find their hotel OK.
We had a relaxing day in Paris yesterday, where it managed to stay dry for us and then left at 9 o'clock this morning to come home in pretty much solid rain and/or fog all the way.
A friend Nick accompanied us on his Bonneville. It was his first continental trip and he thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the aches and pains that such a trip will cause to a grandfather on a motorcycle with no wind or weather protection at all! Top effort by him.
Also thanks to Sharribee for looking into tyre dealers at stupid-o'clock in the morning and all the organisers!
18062011106[1].jpg 18062011116[1].jpg 18062011117[1].jpg IMG_0356[1].jpg 18062011120[1].jpg 18062011126[1].jpg 18062011132[1].jpg

·
Matron
12,080 Posts

Just got home and having a nice cup of tea after a fantastic, if somewhat wet few days.

Firstly, big thanks again to Phil for helping with the puncture. On the way from the hotel to the start in Blackpool, I managed to pick up a nail in the rear tyre, which I noticed due to the noise of it hitting the hugger on every rotation! As it was 4.30am and the tyre appeared safe-ish, Phil offered to take Caroline (Mrs Bignose) as pillion to reduce the weight on my bike and the decision was made to ride until somewhere was open for it to be replaced. That somewhere turned out to be a place Phil knew in Lambeff, innit! Unfortunately the piece of metal sticking out the rear prevented us from having fun on any twisties and the delay getting a new tyre and getting out of South London meant the rest of the trip was a bit of a dash. But we managed to get to Calais for 6pm, still made it to the Bulldog Cafe, negotiated the roadworks on Avenue Lenine (aka Baghdad), checked into the hotel before reception closed and parked up at the Eiffel Tower at 11.45pm. Job Done! We hope the guys on the Ducati managed to find their hotel OK.
We had a relaxing day in Paris yesterday, where it managed to stay dry for us and then left at 9 o'clock this morning to come home in pretty much solid rain and/or fog all the way.
A friend Nick accompanied us on his Bonneville. It was his first continental trip and he thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the aches and pains that such a trip will cause to a grandfather on a motorcycle with no wind or weather protection at all! Top effort by him.

Also thanks to Sharribee for looking into tyre dealers at stupid-o'clock in the morning and all the organisers!
Your very welcome, although you got me into trouble

Jay came downstairs listened to our conversation and then started whining that whenever he phones me at 5 in the morning he gets abuse and grumped at and I was being far too nice to you so did he have to worry about me having an affair :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
40 Posts

Your very welcome, although you got me into trouble

Jay came downstairs listened to our conversation and then started whining that whenever he phones me at 5 in the morning he gets abuse and grumped at and I was being far too nice to you so did he have to worry about me having an affair :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Well, the way MrsBignose happily jumped on Phil's bike, I could be open to offers! :D

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts

Well done Guys for the report. Speaking to some of the riders seems you all had a good day out.
Philip 0500 in the morning is not a good time to phone.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts

would someone like to write a ride report for the website, when the ride moves over to the history section, i would but been told my scotlish, may confuse!!!!! :D
:thumbup:

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts

TLD 2011 044.jpg Here's my little offering.

Left London 1030am Thursday morning intending to meet up with GOG and Baz at the Super Sausage Cafe nr Towcester, got there about 1230pm, soaked but managed to eat a nice brekky. We then headed up to Blackpool arriving about 7pm, having gone through the Peaks and other places I had never heard or been to, in other words I was lost.
TLD 2011 001.jpg TLD 2011 002.jpg
Friday morning was spent looking for the Coastriders Cafe, which I understand some people never found, that I am not suprised, took us a few u turns, banners put up then off to see the delights of Blackpool, best left there I think, there seemed to be only two things to do.
TLD 2011 009b.jpg TLD 2011 014a.jpg TLD 2011 017a.jpg TLD 2011 019a.jpg

Saturday morning up early and off to the Promenade ready for the 5am off. Quite a few there 50 + I think, Police came along to see what the hell was going on, but decided not to stop and ask !

TLD 2011 020a.jpg TLD 2011 022a.jpg TLD 2011 023a.jpg

TLD 2011 024a.jpg TLD 2011 025a.jpg

Then off to the Ace, with everyone blasting out of Blackpool down the motorway, must have looked quite impressive. Then different routes down to the Ace.

TLD 2011 027.jpg TLD 2011 031.jpg TLD 2011 028.jpg TLD 2011 029.jpg TLD 2011 030.jpg

And we even had our own Brolly Dollies (oops wrong thread)

TLD 2011 032.jpg

After the Ace, thanks to PD Squire, 10 of us set off across London via Marble Arch, Buck Palace, Houses of Parliament and the Clocktower then off down the Old Kent Road to the Channel Tunnel.

TLD 2011 034.jpg

We picked one other, so now there were 11 of us snaking through the French countryside, the drivers were very considerate, moving aside and the French public a bit bemused as we were going the wrong way to all the other bikers, as they were coming back from their demos. So off to the Bulldog Cafe in Beauvais, somewhere in France. Not quite the Cafe we expected, I mean biscuits with your coffee, whatever next and not a fried egg in sight :p. Thanks to Barkinmadscot and James691 for leading us this far and onto Paris. How the feck we all got across the Arc de Triomphe, madhouse. But we made to the Eiffel Tower where we promptly got split up, having travelled all that way together :toothy10:.

TLD 2011 041.jpg TLD 2011 052.jpg TLD 2011 060a.jpg TLD 2011 063a.jpg TLD 2011 064a.jpg TLD 2011 062a.jpg TLD 2011 055a.jpg TLD 2011 042.jpg

See this hi-vi stuff does work :)

TLD 2011 070a.jpg TLD 2011 068.jpg

Then off to the hostel that never was, an even bigger s*it hole than blackpool. Still Baz on the XRV Rocket TLD 2011 005a.jpg

Here he was offered a woman, well the bloke said it was a woman, two camels and an unspecified amount of whatever drugs he wanted :mrgreen:

So it was with regret that we decided not to stay and headed off into the Parisian night.

Thanks to all who made it such a fun trip and I think I have made some new friends, well at least I know who you are now.
But most thanks to GOG and Barkinmadscot for the organisation, great job guys. Although can't say I want to sleep with you again GOG :thumbup:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts

PS, I discovered on the way back that if you bump start your bike at 110mph (the tilt-switch having turned it off when going a bit faster) the unburnt fuel can blow the back of your silencer off... And they aren't cheap! :(

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

PS, I discovered on the way back that if you bump start your bike at 110mph (the tilt-switch having turned it off when going a bit faster) the unburnt fuel can blow the back of your silencer off... And they aren't cheap! :(
My god man...just how far over where you tilted that it went off..or where the TLD gremlins playing up again?

We used to flick the switch on the bikes when running through towns at slow pace as it goes off like a gun..great craic scaring the wee girlies!

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

Only got back at 1815 today as we headed for Reims after Paris, cracking weekend away.

Big up to Sharrie for sorting Derek and Alan (palerider & barrowload) some accomodation when (like every one else by the sounds of it) they decided not to leave the bikes outside the hostel, or as Stuart likes to call it, Beirut on steroids!

My first invasion of France and i enjoyed it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
got back yesterday what an experience.....

like craig says, a massive thankyou to sharrie for first contacting us(me and alan) to see if we were ok and then making sure that we were

we reached the hostel quite late on and after being up since 3am and riding hard all day and then alan dropped his beemer and it took us three attempts to right it again(it was like trying to lift an african elephant back onto it's feet!!) then we got to the hostel to find it was in a very dodgy looking area with lots of suspicious looking characters outside eyeing up everything that was going on. then we discovered craig and stuart had been and left obviously coming to the same conclusions that we did we tried to contact them but were unable to get through as they were in a no-signal zone!!!!

things were looking very dire and then out of the blue a message came through from sharrie and we replied telling her the situation she immediately rang and told us she'd arrange an alternative hotel and get back to us... minutes later she rang with details and we got sorted so once again thankyou sharron you are a star.

we rejoined stuart and craig the next day in reims

i've got photo's and video footage which i'll get craig to post up later...

total mileage for the trip 1365 miles and my transalp was looking very sorry for itself when i got home....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lucky to survive / flat tyre

Started to the ride on the Friday meeting up with Barkinmadscot travelling via Alston / Penrith / Morecambe / Blackpool

Gets to Morecambe. Pointed out to Barry, may have nail in tyre.
Sure was / phone call later appointment @ Blackpool Honda
3 mechanics later: do we pull it out or leave it in?
Pull it out get the slime into the tyre we've got a ride to do on Sat
Barry now £7 pounds lighter and on a budget LOL

Enjoyed a really stressful tour of Paris trying to follow tim try to keep together
Eiffel tower absolutely stowed off - does nobody sleep? Traffic non stop.
We said our goodbyes after a hotdog + coke, then to find the campsite outside of Paris about 1 am
We go to reception the following morning to be told "we've had a complaint: the bikes are too noisy"
No **** Sherlock! in the dead of night
Due to the weight of the bikes we said we were unable to push or free wheel to our caravan
French no sense of humour
We had two other riders in caravan over the way. Ibet it was their bikes making all that noise and we got the blame ?

To cut to the chase, we leave the caravan on Mon morn 9.30 to travel to Normandie to visit the memorials
On the bike all day, finished at Pegasus Bridge circa 7pm
Nowhere to stay, we decide to chance to eurotunnel.
We were moving up to 130 km in some places: early evening, weather raining, fog treacherous.
I rode for some 5 hrs across France to Calais. **** weather to say the least
On a few islands I could feel as if the bike was not handling good /took me time ??

On arriving at eurotunnel climbs off bike but problem trying to board train a day earlier than ticket / paid extra 2e
We're now booked on the 1.30am from France, gets back on bike to pull away: bike snaking like a bitch!
20 yds through gate pulls over to the side distraught cursing
Flat tyre ?????
'What if?' sprang to mind, travelling at speed in those conditions.

chrisstrom rides over to speak to port gendarmes. They were helpful in arranging a mechanic
In-between waiting we try Chris's tyre repair kit.
Success! We get the screw out / put in rubber bung / fill with air / good to go!
We board train, all the while checking the damn tyre

35 mins later land at Folkestone. Weather hammering it so can't risk ride home to Newcastle
We book into Premier Inn Folkestone.

In the morning we're on the phone trying to source and fit a new tyre
Rescued by ALFORDS of Folkestone
Big thank you + £150 lighter just for the blast back home: 10.30am till 15.30

What a journey!
Goodnight. I could have been looking down from above, just not my time just yet!

Thank you Lord!

pics are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/kpbrad49/TLD2011?locked=true

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Re: Lucky to survive / flat tyre

Glad you go back okay, Kev, my bikes getting it's new tyres on Friday!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts