Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appologies in advance, I have to rant before I go looking for fingers with a pair of croppers!!! :evil:

I will move this to the sale/wanted if it turns out to be a viable option.

Had my 2001 650 TA (52k) stolen by some Corby toe-rags recently, (very young as they dropped it with a full tank and couldn't get it upright again!?) and am contemplating just giving it up and parting company with the old gal.

Before I let the insurance company get their grubby mits on it I am just putting out some feelers as to wether it or its parts may be of use to anyone??

They did not get the bike started so the damage is just the panels where they have ripped it off to get to the wiring.

Mechanically sound as serviced (with receipts) every 4k from 6k when I bought it.
Just had new rear tyre, service, and DID chain and sprocket :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Damaged bits are:

Right hand panel (in lots of little pieces. ripped off not crashed)
Left hand panel scuffed
Front cowl
Clock surround
Screen (useable still I think but scratched)
Scratched front light (in one piece still)

I can't believe I have been paying for fully comp insurance and when I spoke to them today to find out my insurance next year, it has gone up by £340 + the excess of £250!! and apparently I will be penalised for the next 3-5 years for claiming!! because of course I pay my insurance to fund some shits desire to steal other peoples property. Its that whole backwards charge the guy who works hard for a living mentality that is going to make the UK disappear up its own arse some time in the near future!?!!?!?!?

Remind me why do we pay ridiculus insurance again???

Me thinks my bikes will be insured for half the price TPF&T and strangely end up a piece of coal in a field or an addition to the reinforcing in some foundations from now on!! And insurance companies wonder why people get sick of paying for their incompetence, and inability to get off their fat asses and do something about the real fraudsters instead of making new ones!!!

Ah thats better!! grumble over :oops: :roll:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Shiiiiit, sorry to hear that youv'e had no luck with the insurance Duncan, keep it, the bike doesn't exactly owe you much!

Either source bit's off ebay as they become available and patch the old girl up or rip all the plastics off and matt black it, turn it into a rally rat :roll:

Best of luck mate, whichever way you decide.

Phil

·
Dances with Drunks
228 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck Yeti. Little dears. I'm sure a sympathetic talking to is what they need.....

Try and keep it on the road mate, they won't have won then. But if you decide to break it, I'd be interested in the left hand side of fairing (scuffed or not), the side panels, the swinging arm, and the wheels (w or w/o tyres).

Cheers

Alan

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Because they are the new Mafia...

"That's a nice bike, would be a shame if something were to happen to it" (because you're shit outta luck then.)

H

·
0 Posts
Insurance rip off

First you need to find a frendly bike shop
get them to do a quote on the bike
If you are fully comp they either have to repair or give you full market replacement cost
if they are to pay you out then the garage who has had the bike in storage at X pounds a day often get the first chance to buy it back
if you are on good terms with them they can buy it back for you at a good price
then patch it up with parts off Ebay and away you go with money in your pocket

FCUK the Insurance company before they do you

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Insurance rip off

harrisphil said:
if they are to pay you out then the garage who has had the bike in storage at X pounds a day often get the first chance to buy it back
No, the first option goes to the policyholder who remains the legal owner until he accepts settlement from the insurance company - don't let a bike shop get their hands on it from a legal point of view. Ask the insurance company for (a) their valuation of the bike and (b) the salvage value of the bike. Once you have (and have agreed, with haggling if necessary which it usually is) these figures you have the right to choose to keep the bike, in which case the insurance company will pay you the agreed value less the salvage value and the excess.

Of course if this net settlement figure only comes to a couple of hundred quid there's no point in claiming in the first place because of loss of NCD and future loadings.......but it's probably too late by then.

H

·
0 Posts
insurance

this is why you need a frendly bike shop they do the quote and add in all the parts that are even the tinyest bit damaged and also charge collection and storage this usually adds up to more than the bike is worth so it ends up being sold they buy it on your behalf and jobs a gudun

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for the words of kindness!!

I had to let it go!! :( :(

I am working 6 days a week and didn't have time to make keeping it a cost effective option. Besides they wanted £700 for it. I opted to cut my losses and source something that was more realistic for doing up to 1200 miles a week. The servicing was crippling as I would love to and am capable of doing it my self but had no, zero, zip zilch time to do it myself.

I could also not consider keeping hold and repairing or breaking it myself as again the time issue prevailed.!!

I am sad to see it go as it never let me down and although a bit paggered, had lots of life left in it.

The good news out of all this is that I have got lucky and found a quick replacement!!

The bad news is that I have turned to the dark side (tartan slippers and pipe....almost. Back up here Chad!! :D ) and found myself a R1150RT. Also turned out it was 6 miles away and a good friend of mine worked with the guy for a number of years!! Result!!

Fear not all yhose about to reach for the angry smilies....I still have the trusty @ so "I know there is still some good in me.....I can feel it..."

And for those who need a new pin up for their dart board.....i'll post a picture in the gallery when I get time!! :shock:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Sorry that you had to let the trusty steed go Duncan.

Even sorrier that you felt the need to get one of 'them' :wink:

Only joking mate, glad you got sorted without too much hastle.

Phil

1 - 12 of 12 Posts