Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good choice to ditch a sportsbike for a big trailie mate.
Cos they're real world bikes, and of course you won't have to keep assuming that "first day in prison" riding position! :lol:
The TDM is a very nice bike...but I think they suffer from not actually fitting into any particular category. They're certainly not a big trailie as fas as I can see.
So if those are your two choices then I'd have to say an AT.
Personally, and I may be biased, but I'd check out a Transalp.
Don't believe the mags with the slow, boring, bland descriptions.
My TA will get round rural country roads just as quick as my Fazer ever did, and it's a lot more fun too.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Hi Ian,

I had a TDM (850) before moving onto the AT earlier this year.

The TDM is a cracking bike (the 900 more so I believe - see http://www.carpe-tdm.net the TDM forum)
1. The TDM has a more comfortable seat than the AT
2. The TDM has 20bhp+ more power than the AT, smooth engine and the handling is OK (you might disagree coming from a CBR!).
3. Build quality on the TDM isn't great according to reports but mine was OK. Similarly, the commonly reported electrical problems didn't affect my bike. The AT seems generally reliable (excepting the electronic fuel pump and rear wheel bearings).
4. The TDM is a current machine, the AT isn't.

In real world comparisons TDM is no doubt a better roadbike than the AT :!: :shock:

That's because it was designed as a roadbike from the outset, not a traily or 'dual-sport' as often gets stated. TDM's get a universal panning from the sports-focussed UK bike press as being not one thing or another, and I don't think they ever allowed the UK buying public 'get the idea' of the TDM concept - the rest of europe certainly did. Put a Ducati engine in there (Multistrada) and suddenly a new bike class has been invented, never mind that the TDM was doing the same thing 10 years earlier. In fact TDM's are an outstanding day-to-day bike for a reasonable outlay of wonga.

Having said all that I prefer the AT for several reasons.
1. I want to go on big trips and be able to carry on when the road runs out
2. Better pillion provision (or so my Missus tells me)
3. Better fuel consumption and tank range
4. Licence friendly
5. Road presence
6. It's the mutts nuts :shock:

In your case Ian, take 'em both out for a test ride and see which one you like!

A

·
0 Posts
Strange question, of course we will not say TDM.
No offence, but you could guess that we will advise the AT, or TA.

Advantages of the AT are the height of the bike, good to sit on, good to see and good to be seen.
And, I prefer honda over yamaha. No experience with the TDM, but the AT seems better to me.

Just try to have a testrun on both. Think you already considered the TA, BMW650, Suzuki DR800/650, Yamaha XT series, pegaso, etc..

Goodluck,
Cheers,
Tijn

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
xrv_jim said:
In your case Ian, take 'em both out for a test ride and see which one you like!
Sound advice. My opinion is that it's horses for courses. If you're planning to stick to the tarmac, are a bit short in the leg, and filter through traffic a lot, then the TDM is certainly a contender. However the Africa Twin opens up possibilities that a road bike can't offer, which is why I and a few others here chose it.

Iain 8)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ian said:
This is more than can be said for the TDM lot. An example of one of their replies was 'the AT is a girl's bike'.
What girls does that guy hang round with? Fatima Whitbread? :lol:

W

·
0 Posts
BY XRV_JIM :Having said all that I prefer the AT for several reasons.
1. I want to go on big trips and be able to carry on when the road runs out

Says it all does it not! :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
And to chuck my 2p worth in.
I looked closey at the TDM as well as the AT. Tried both out.

However it was the overal look and design that was the decider for me.
I just don't like the look of the TDM, but I love the look of the AT. It feels so cool to be riding a Paris - Dakar style bike, you get loads of appreciative looks, and I have to say I don't think you'd get anything like that on a TDM.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
This is more than can be said for the TDM lot. An example of one of their replies was 'the AT is a girl's bike'.

Cheeky b*ggers!!

Dave, when you get your new gloves you should seek out the leader of this TDM lot and give him a dry slap across the kisser. Then it's 20 paces turn and fire on Wimbledon Common. Don't make it dawn though, I'm not at my best first thing!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The older TDM's are poorly finished, have soft suspension, have horrible and breakable gearboxes and rather quick but bland engines. The later "270 degree" machines have more character, look great imho, and esp the current 900's are decently built and have firmer suspension. I really enjoyed a testride on the 900, the bike is a lot quicker than the AT but does not "feel" like a trail bike (just like a Triumph Tiger I tried). That is not a good nor a bad thing, depends what you are looking for. I think the AT is the less perfect bike on the road, but more fun overall and easier for DIY as well.

My Honda ('94 model) is a back-up bike for my Buell, allthough it is actually the Buell that does most of the miles at the moment due to a seemingly endless series of irritating problems (fuel pump, regulator, relays, gaskets) and maintenance jobs (clutch, forks, head race bearings, chain & sprockets, battery) on the AT. It is basically a solid bike but not as well finished / corrosion free as other Honda's I had, including the great HRC built 650 version of the AT: apart from the front brake superiour to all 750 versions imho, wished I never sold it :cry: .

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Ian said:
The TDM guys must have a collective inferiority complex, Ian. Though I have been toying with the idea of a Kilt :shock:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
xrv_jim said:
Ian said:
The TDM guys must have a collective inferiority complex, Ian. Though I have been toying with the idea of a Kilt :shock:
My other bike (Buell Cyclone) is yellow and apparently that is considered by many as a gay colour. So it seems I have a girl's bike and a gay bike. So much for my macho image then :roll: :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts