Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta Be Over 30 to Understand the following :

Mum used to cut chicken, slice eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board
with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't get food poisoning.

My Mum used to defrost mince-meat on the kitchen sink AND I used to eat a bite
raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper,in a
brown paper bag, not in icepack coolers, but I can't remember anybody getting
e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake or the fast flowing
river instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring). We could have all been
drowned in such dangerous places.

The term mobile phone would have meant an extra phone plug in the house so
you could actually move the phone and a pager was the school PA system.

We all played sport, and also did PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair
of Dunlop runners (only worn in the gym or the sports ground) instead of having
cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built-in light reflectors.

I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened, because they tell us how
much safer we are now...? Flunking sport was not an option.. even for stupid
kids! There were not many fat kids.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the National Anthem and got
free school milk for strong bones and teeth, and staying in detention after school
caught all sorts of negative attention. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.

What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore
a hat and everything, and she could even give you an aspirin for a headache or fever.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to
be proud of myself. I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play
Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

We climbed trees and played 'king of the castle' on piles of gravel left, on vacant
construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mum pulled out the 48-cent bottle of
Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and
then we got our hair ruffled and got told to get back out there! Now it's a trip
to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of $49 bottle of antibiotics,
and then Mum calls the solicitor to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious
pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't misbehave at the mate's house either, because if we did, we got our bum
smacked there, and then we got belted again when we got home.
I recall the kid from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front veranda,
just before he fell off. Little did his Mum know that she could have owned our house.
Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a yobbo.

It was a neighbourhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a
"dysfunctional family". How could we possibly have known that we needed to get into
group therapy and anger management classes?

We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that
the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T----
SORRY
FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
Getting a dose of melancholy in your old age, you grumpy old man? ;-)

Chad said:
Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the National Anthem
At least some things changed for the better then. ;-)

But yeah. The death of common sense and all that...

·
Registered
871 Posts
Chad, BRILLIANT

I remember it well !!!! SO TRUE.

In my opinion far better days, this country is now runied by political correctness, debt and lawyers the only growth industries left.

The hope is that the whole rotten lot collapses and then we go back to some form of reality

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
WE could even go in to the workshop of the bike store and talk to the mechanic and get advice.. now it just too dangerous back there!
Lawn darts were a good fun game ... and even if a few kids were culled by trying to catch it.. welll it is jsut darwinisim anit it!

this country is now runied by political correctness, debt and lawyers the only growth industries left.
it is not just the uk Aus is just as bad.. and we wont even talk about the yanks!

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Chad, cardinal sin ther old fella - DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THE PC MOB!

[insert massive expletive laden rant here]

But, yeah, remember it well I'm trying to bring stageone junior up along the same lines I was - she's got the respect for authority, politeness, comon sense, punctuallity and loads of other bits down perfect just now at 9 YO, whizzes around the estate on her bike stood on the seat and other cool stuff, but soooooo much of it is out of my control and so I just have to live with watching the state mollycoddle and smother my only kid. Its sad that she'll never know a life as care-free as mine (ours?...) but when it comes to things like peadophiles and stuff, I suppose it's not a bad thing eh?.....

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Cool, that was my centenary post - and it was about the sprog, cool!

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stageonesimmo said:
Chad, cardinal sin ther old fella - DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THE PC MOB!

but when it comes to things like peadophiles and stuff, I suppose it's not a bad thing eh?.....
but even then the bastards wont let us deal with them in the correct manner :evil:
somthing about human rights :roll: so what .......stop it dont get me started

we'll keep it to a cheerfull reminder of how much easier it was to get through life eh :thumb:

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stageonesimmo said:
Cool, that was my centenary post - and it was about the sprog, cool!
and on to 101 keep em coming :teeth:

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Yeah, nice one, no point getting in a kerfuffle about stuff...

I can remember a game we used to have where we would attempt to get from one end of our street to the other making our way using only the back yard walls, garage roofs, gates, fences, anything - only time you were allowed to touch the ground was when the yard had no gates/fence etc then you had to cross it in as few steps as possible. If you touched the ground or the owner of the house came out and 'caught you', you were out and had to start again. As far as I remember, no-one ever got all the way down the street, but we had a hell of a laugh trying......

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stageonesimmo said:
Yeah, nice one, no point getting in a kerfuffle about stuff...

I can remember a game we used to have where we would attempt to get from one end of our street to the other making our way using only the back yard walls, garage roofs, gates, fences, anything - only time you were allowed to touch the ground was when the yard had no gates/fence etc then you had to cross it in as few steps as possible. If you touched the ground or the owner of the house came out and 'caught you', you were out and had to start again. As far as I remember, no-one ever got all the way down the street, but we had a hell of a laugh trying......
you too :shock: we had somthing similar i fell of a wall of a garden five houses down and sqished a load of marrows an old boy was growing hell he kicked the crap out of me then presented me to dad who dished out more of the same :lol: :lol: :lol:

needless to say it was around a month before we treid it again :lol:
i had a very short memory as a kid :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
we used to play the grand national,a race across all the picket fences and hedges of the front gardens,red apple, knocking on doors and running off(sometimes leaving a burning paper bag on the doorstep and when they stamped it out found out it was full of dog sxxt)funny :lol: :lol:
cheers darren

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cbcommuter said:
we used to play the grand national,a race across all the picket fences and hedges of the front gardens,red apple, knocking on doors and running off(sometimes leaving a burning paper bag on the doorstep and when they stamped it out found out it was full of dog sxxt)funny :lol: :lol:
cheers darren
hmm heard of that but never had the bottle :oops:

imagine how pissed of would you be if that happend to you now :lol:

would you remember or just stamp in the flames realiseing as you do it your mistake :lol:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
He He, seen similar, but always a good laugh, BTW Chad you were lucky getting detention we got caned or slippered (or sometimes both in the same day :roll: )

We used to play a similar game to Simmo's, but we went round the local church wall, anyway obviously I had to fall off at the highest point where you have to jump across the gates 15 foot off the ground, cracked my head open, but nice nursie stitched it back together, no long waiting times at A&E, but then no anesthetic either, still where there's no sense, an all that :lol:

G

·
Great stuff guys :D The list of things we used to do as kids that is shyed on nowadays is pretty endless. Anyone else a committed scumper? Nicking fruit from neighbours gardens, getting caught and being made to work off your debt by said neighbour. Infact, howabout doing jobs around the village to earn your own pocket money? As kids we had our own cottage industry in grass cutting. garden tidying, window cleaning, fetching shopping for the old folks. You name it, we did it and in winter there was holly and mistletoe to steel then sell as well as chestnuts. Summer we'd pick blackberries and flog them. Great stuff :D

Kids today don't know the half :roll:

·
What did I do that for...
468 Posts
Cool... :thumb:

When I was growing up did all of the above :teeth:

PLUS we were always out on the street's playing around, from about 8 in the morning 'til it got too dark to play footie or ride safely in the park etc...

aaaahh...nostalgia.

So true about life nowadays, I have 3 girls (9,7 and 3 yo) and theres no fekkin way I'd let the 9 or 7 yo out playing unsupervised on the streets :shock: :roll: ...shame really, they'll never know about that sort of fun, but tough sh*t life and times are now different.

AND yes I am a saddo with no socail life sitting in on NYE :lol:

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Kids today if it does not plug into the T.V. or the INTERNET. It,s not worth knowing about . In my youth you went out and built something be it a hut , rope swing , soap box cartie , "guider" in our neck of the woods . The only time you stayed in to watch T.V. was for DR WHO and then you hid behind the chair when the Daleks where on. Me and my mates left our houses at the crack of dawn and came back when we were hungry/bleeding/ soaking not because something was on T.V. We thought nothing of going to the seaside 12 miles away on pushbikes /Shared a lemonade from the same bottle , Pinched apples from someones tree / Played jump Jockey going the whole street via all the hedges and fences on the way. We built a Guider one time and had about six trailer,s fixed to it and flew down a very steep hill " much to the annoyance of everyone who lived in the street, The trailer wheels were made with Large ballbearings THAT made such a noise a grumpy old git called the police and a traffic COP arrived on a huge B.M.W. police bike " well it was huge to us " he could hardly keep his face straight when he was telling us off for the noise we created happy days . :lol: fw750x

G

·
Scott said:
So true about life nowadays, I have 3 girls (9,7 and 3 yo) and theres no fekkin way I'd let the 9 or 7 yo out playing unsupervised on the streets :shock: :roll: ...shame really, they'll never know about that sort of fun, but tough sh*t life and times are now different.
Matey, you shouldn't let the media convince you things are more dangerous for our kids. Yes roads are busier and there are some rough kids out there, but if we teach ours whats good and safe they should be able to play out still. Did you know that child abduction incidents are no greater now than 60 years ago and there are only about 13 cases per year in the whole of the UK. Odds are very good I'd say :wink: My lads are 8 & 9 and I've actively encouraged them to get on their bikes and play in the woods like I used to. Great to see them come home plastered in mud :D mind, the wife's not so keen when she has to clean it all up :wink:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Great thread !! I am of the generation your talking about here , last of what the Americans call the "babyboomers".

However let me give you this thought .......... our generation did all you describe and were none the worse for it, but that generation are now the powerbrokers making the rules of the nanny state and banning things and creating the political correct pish.

So explain that one to me ?? the generation that put man on the moon , can't let their own kids go to the corner shop for sweets.

·
17,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wee Jack said:
Great thread !! I am of the generation your talking about here , last of what the Americans call the "babyboomers".

However let me give you this thought .......... our generation did all you describe and were none the worse for it, but that generation are now the powerbrokers making the rules of the nanny state and banning things and creating the political correct pish.

So explain that one to me ?? the generation that put man on the moon , can't let their own kids go to the corner shop for sweets.
thats a very good point wee fella :D

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Wee Jack said:
That one's going in the "Quotes to remember folder" :thumb:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts