Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had a chat with my line manager today and we were talking cars and trying to save costs and out of the blue he says

'why don't you use your bike for work?'

result :thumb:

so long as I have access to a car for the odd time I need more space than panniers will allow he's fine with it and seeing as it's usually me, my laptop and half a dozen screwdrivers that wont be often.

I have actually already insured it for business use as it didn't cost much and used it on a couple of occasions on the quiet but now he's said that there's no holding me back.

off to see how much I can sell my car for now :toothy7:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I use mine for travelling from site to site at work, just stuck some business insurance on (which they paid the extra), jobs a good un

I like you normally only carry laptop / tools :thumbright:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
You also need to be aware that the rate per mile that you can claim for motorcycles is much less than for cars (HMRC rules). You need to deduct from the rate claimed any reimbursement by the employer

car - first 10,000 miles 40p per mile additional miles at 25p

motorcycle - flat rate 20p per mile

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seeing as I only get 13p per mile regardless of whether I use the car or bike and only did 1000 business miles this year I can live with that.

when you work out that it's cost me £700 in just tax, insurance, servicing and MOT for the car that's a lot per mile I'm saving seeing as I'm already funding the bike out of my own pocket.

I guess I'm lucky that I get a generous 'car' allowance so the mileage claim isn't an issue.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
You also need to be aware that the rate per mile that you can claim for motorcycles is much less than for cars (HMRC rules). You need to deduct from the rate claimed any reimbursement by the employer

car - first 10,000 miles 40p per mile additional miles at 25p

motorcycle - flat rate 20p per mile
motorcycles is 24p and has been for years.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I don't know about the "and has been for years" bit, but 24p per mile is what we get in the major Government Department I work in, and we get expenses strictly by the HMRC rule book, including having to make a home-to-office deduction so we don't benefit in any way whatsoever:confused:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I don't know about the "and has been for years" bit, but 24p per mile is what we get in the major Government Department I work in, and we get expenses strictly by the HMRC rule book, including having to make a home-to-office deduction so we don't benefit in any way whatsoever:confused:
I still have the figures back to 2004 and it was 24p then.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
seeing as I only get 13p per mile regardless of whether I use the car or bike and only did 1000 business miles this year I can live with that.

when you work out that it's cost me £700 in just tax, insurance, servicing and MOT for the car that's a lot per mile I'm saving seeing as I'm already funding the bike out of my own pocket.

I guess I'm lucky that I get a generous 'car' allowance so the mileage claim isn't an issue.
Just make sure you claim the difference back off HMRC. They will increase your personal allowance so you pay less tax

Better in your pocket than theirs

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Correct at 24p Whealie and Austin ( mistakingly put down what our company would pay not the HMRC figure doh!

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just make sure you claim the difference back off HMRC. They will increase your personal allowance so you pay less tax

Better in your pocket than theirs
I've been doing that for a few years now, as the mileage I do is variable I get them to leave my personal allowance the same and I claim a payment at the end of the year, that way I don't spend it and get a nice little lumps sum (some years like this last one it is little :( )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts