Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 650 Transalp for about 7 years, and 40,000 odd miles.
What would you suggest as a suitable, up-to-date, successor?
A new Africa Twin would be exceedingly nice, but, being realistic, I should be looking for something lighter and less tall than the TA (and no more than £4-5000).
Would I miss the "drive" of the vee-twin by opting for one of Mr Honda's twins? (NC700/750 or CB500X)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
i've thought about this a lot on what to replace my 600 TA with.

this is the list i came up with:

NC700/NC750X
CB500X (maybe too small for longer trips, but get good reviews)
Vstrom 650 (gets great reviews as an 'all round' bike)
Africa Twin (too pricey)
BMW F700GS (pricey for what you get - pricey to maintain too)
triumph tiger 800 (get very good reviews)
transalp 700

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
buy a real fresh Transalp 650 in black with only a few summer touring miles under its belt and all the extras . or if you stick to the roads more so you could give a Transalp 700 a test ride a bit swifter and easier on petrol they say . I just prefer the look of the 650 myself . or how about a Deuville shaft drive tubeless tyres good on the motorway too they say . or maybe a cross runner 800 I love the sound of the v4 engine . nice one on ebay in red full panniers £4700 only 5400 miles on it .

·
Registered
299 Posts
That AT looks good....

Otherwise Yamaha Tracer maybe ? Thinking the 700, but maybe the 900 although that would be pricier.
I'd personally rate the NC700/750X above the CB500X - had a CB500X as a loan bike recently, it's a bit "white goods", i.e. pleasant enough but not particularly engaging, bit like a washing machine..
I still rate my 700 Transalp, usefully upgraded ( I think ) from the 650 ( ducks and waits incoming... )
The new Yamaha concept T7 looks rather interesting too, but doesn't formally exist yet and unlikely to be in your price range for a few years.

Reactions: hotbulb

·
Administrator
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or if you fancy something really special how about this.

HONDA AFRICA TWIN RD07 1000 KM RANGE 750 AFRICAN QUEENS 178 KG ADVENTURE TOURING | eBay

If I was younger and fit enough to use it I would be sorely tempted, Im'e busting at the seams to buy another bike but the 650 does everything I want :D
Yes, age doesn't come alone, and while the TA is still OK weight-wise, i think something a little lighter might make sense .... and with my stumpy legs I'm always aware of just how far away the ground is! It would be good to be able to get both feet down, not just tippy-toes.

·
Administrator
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That AT looks good....

Otherwise Yamaha Tracer maybe ? Thinking the 700, but maybe the 900 although that would be pricier.
I'd personally rate the NC700/750X above the CB500X - had a CB500X as a loan bike recently, it's a bit "white goods", i.e. pleasant enough but not particularly engaging, bit like a washing machine..
I still rate my 700 Transalp, usefully upgraded ( I think ) from the 650 ( ducks and waits incoming... )
The new Yamaha concept T7 looks rather interesting too, but doesn't formally exist yet and unlikely to be in your price range for a few years.
I think perhaps a few test rides need to be arranged!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been thinking of a change myself from the 700 Alp. Had a test ride on the Tracer 700, nice narrow, lightweight smooth bike. My only concern maybe the build quality after a winter or two as I ride most of the year.
However, once back on the TA it felt much more 'planted' on the road, slightly wider bars, seat height was about the same.
I still have to test the NC750X and the Vstrom.
Question is what should I do?

Graeme

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Or if you fancy something really special how about this.

HONDA AFRICA TWIN RD07 1000 KM RANGE 750 AFRICAN QUEENS 178 KG ADVENTURE TOURING | eBay

If I was younger and fit enough to use it I would be sorely tempted, Im'e busting at the seams to buy another bike but the 650 does everything I want :D
its an absolute peach I was going to start a thread to bring attention to it I knew it would go down well hear . but I forgot to I think I am loosing my mind everyone else thinks I lost it years ago . ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have test ridden the CB500X and NC750X several time and the NC is the better bike, loads more torque and feels better put together. The CB is built to a budget and it feels like it.

However, my CRF250M is cheap, low powered and light and I still love riding it. Until I can convince the wife I need two bikes I'm not doing anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts