Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is your opinion on these two units please?

Am thinking of updating my bike GPS....which of the two units provides the best guidance?

any hints welcomed

R.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
I can't help with choosing a satnav as I just use a Tomtom car unit in a waterproof case=cheap! What I did do was have a quick look on your website, some fantastic images there mate! :thumbright:

Andy.

·
Adventurer
587 Posts

Am thinking of updating my bike GPS....which of the two units provides the best guidance?

any hints welcomed

R.
Garmin are rock solid IMO.

I've personally seen lots of probs with Tom Tom, one example here..

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/accessories/73138-tomtom-rider-2-refuses-swich-off.html

Tom Tom for boys and Garmin for men I'm not sure but I can say that Garmin software is more serious and very easy to plan road by road or place by place routes..just plan to destination then plan to all routes and places you want along the way and add them as via point to your initial route to your destination:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
can't comment on tom toms. I use a garmin zumo 660 (touratech lockable mount)... alot! almost 3 years now. Easy to use, V.waterproof, sensitive to the glove, pretty rugged, big widescreen, roads named, v.quick update & stereo bluetooth to helmet, music, phone etc. i now have the music coming directly from the unit not the helmet, when i cant hear it... means im speeding! Only fault in three years, a dry solder joint caused the speaker to stop working, though you could still use the bluetooth or earphone jack. 7 weeks in europe last year... great!! finding campsites in the middle of the night & nowhere. Downside - expensive! maybe a 2nd hand zumo 550 if i was born again.

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
can't comment on tom toms. I use a garmin zumo 660 (touratech lockable mount)... alot! almost 3 years now. Easy to use, V.waterproof, sensitive to the glove, pretty rugged, big widescreen, roads named, v.quick update & stereo bluetooth to helmet, music, phone etc. i now have the music coming directly from the unit not the helmet, when i cant hear it... means im speeding! Only fault in three years, a dry solder joint caused the speaker to stop working, though you could still use the bluetooth or earphone jack. 7 weeks in europe last year... great!! finding campsites in the middle of the night & nowhere. Downside - expensive! maybe a 2nd hand zumo 550 if i was born again.
Yep agree with that,although mine is wired into the helmet. Garmin do have two software maps, mapsource can be a bit complicated until you get the hang of it, good tutorial here

Producing a basic route using Garmin Mapsource - YouTube

but Garmin also have Basecamp which seems to be a bit simpler and free
Garmin | United Kingdom | Maps - Trip Planning Software - BaseCamp
Having had both units they have their pro's and cons but overall I prefer the Garmin.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
I can't comment on the Garmins other than I've heard that they are a pretty reliable unit.
I have had my Tomtom Rider for 5 years now, in that time its seen about 30,000 miles of use, last in december 2010 I recieved a phone call from Derbyshire police saying that a chap had found my sat nav under his car in matlock (I thought I heard a bump :toothy10:turns out I'd forgot to ), apart from the odd mark here and there it still works fine (I'm hoping to get another 30,000 out of it) has been through torrential rain storms, -17 temperatures (xmas meet 2010.....jesus that was cold) and at no time suffered water ingress or any ill effects.

Now whether this makes it better than the Garmin or Tom toms newer offerings I don't know but this one has certainly served me well :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The generaly consensus seems to be that Tom Tom have slightly better routing algorithms, so they are less likely to send you down a silly route. Can't speak for reliability, but the other consensus is that if a Garmin goes wrong, they are more likely to fix it; if a Tom Tom goes wrong, well, we wish you good luck trying!

I've had Garmin 550 for many years. I did get a problem once with it locking on to a signal, but I sent it away and they sent me a new replacement device pretty quickly. The replacement has been very reliable in all kinds of conditions.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

any hints welcomed

R.
I use a TOMTOM 510 on the bike and in the car, i would never waste money on these bike dedicated units. The Zumo is a NUVI unit with a doubled price tag for the privelidge of it being waterproof. My Tomtom is not quoted as being waterproof but in the worst wet storm i been in, in Belgium it got absolutly drenched and did not fail at at all when this one packs up i will buy another car unit. I had a Garmin gpsmap60csx for orienteering which i've used mounted on the handlebar cross bar for offroading again works well for that sort of thing as i can do a route on memory map and transfer it but for road work i will stick to my tomtom.

This was for the offroading bit

Made these Ali brackets to bolt the Ram cradle directly to the Handlebar bridge without any adaptors

This is what i use for road work

This ram mount is what i use on the Varadero, unfortunatly i broke it unintentionally the cast ali shattered so machined an identical part out of Aluminium which is stronger and better than the original cast stuff

It's up to you to decide what you need but you need to think how much you will use it and what you are prepared to spend and also what purpose you want it for. I think from what i've read Tomtom seem to give better route direction than th eGarmin but there's probably bugger all difference in them both are well established firms a the top 2 in the field so you shouldn't be afraid to buy either

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
TomTom are cr4p
They had to replace both the unit and the mounting cradle three times under warranty, as soon as the war entry expired I threw the tomtom in a drawer and bought a garmin
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the Garmin Zumo. It works great but nobody has mentioned the upgly mount (when the unit is not mounted) and the hassle of connecting it (mini USB in the back). Connecting it in the dark is a real pain, and after a while the USB plug starts to get bent. I'm on my second power cable already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speaking of the Zumo 660, is the motorcycle mount hard-wired to its cable bundle?
If I'm foolish enough to pay for an expensive Garmin, can I connect it to a laboriously wired hanlebar-mounted 12V socket, or will I be forced to snap more brittle bits off my fairing while trying to route what looks like 20m of assorted cables?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
660, if you have the funds, get the T/T lockable handlebar mount. Otherwise, 1 pot-hole & maybe tears before bed-time. Top piece of kit, 'til they stole the bike.

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
Can be hard wired to the bike but no reason why yoi couldn't use a short lead with ciggy plug on the end.

An old thread but interesting reading the comments.
I loathed my 660 with a passion despite it feeling robust & having some nice bits. I was glad when I flogged it & bought a TomTom Rider.

Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had a Tom TomRider for a good many years, been dropped loads of times. Still waterproof and works fine. My only experienceof a 660 is that a mate has one and going through France on a tour it wanted to send us on the auto route (he did tick the avoid logo) so we used my Tom Tom to get us through that region. I would say though that Tom Tom are not good at their customer services, and I have had several running with them. I think that all 50 members of the Irish section of my M/C club use Garmins and they swear by them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts