Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks :p,

This might sound like a daft question as there a many threads on different sites saying how tall the AT is and how unsuitable for short a..s.s it is. My question is I'm 5' 6" is this a non starter for me ,I've read threads from guys of 5' 7" who say they manage no probs. I 've been riding for many years and currently ride an FJR1300 I've never been able to get both feet flat on the ground on any bike I've ridden (apart from when it's fully laden ) so it's never been an issue for me. in fact it would feel strange to have both feet flat on the ground , I really don't need to have that safety net. But..... is the AT going to be just that bit too tall ? ( answers from shorter riders particularly welcome )

Thanks for any advice :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hudders.... where are you ........ you're not that far away!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts

This might sound like a daft question as there a many threads on different sites saying how tall the AT is and how unsuitable for short a..s.s it is. My question is I'm 5' 6" is this a non starter for me ,I've read threads from guys of 5' 7" who say they manage no probs. I 've been riding for many years and currently ride an FJR1300 I've never been able to get both feet flat on the ground on any bike I've ridden (apart from when it's fully laden ) so it's never been an issue for me. in fact it would feel strange to have both feet flat on the ground , I really don't need to have that safety net. But..... is the AT going to be just that bit too tall ? ( answers from shorter riders particularly welcome )

I,m a 5`9" with a 29" inside leg and can prety much flat foot ok...came from 10 years of GS ing so @ feels light weight...I,m in Whitby so if you want to through yer leg over mine.... pop down :thumbup:

·
Registered
346 Posts

I'm 5'8" with a 27.5" inside leg. I manage my @ comfortably with a lowered seat and managed OK with the original seat height. All I can suggest is to try one on for size.

·
Registered
924 Posts
hudders is about 4' 2" with a 19" inside leg and he manages just fine with a lowered seat and platform shoes

:D

except at Piel...

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
At 5'6", with a 29" inside leg measurement, I manage both the @ and the Varadero fine.

Go on man, you know you want one :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Hudders.... where are you ........ you're not that far away!!!!
hudders is about 4' 2" with a 19" inside leg and he manages just fine with a lowered seat and platform shoes

except at Piel...

Thanks you to :thefinger:

I'm 5'5 manage fine 99% of the time :D

The seat is lowered and the forks dropped through 20mm;)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
As has been mentioned above, it is more to do with the length of your legs then your stature.
You could be 6ft tall with short legs and long body and not be able to touch the ground.
You could also be a lot shorter but have long legs so touching the ground is no problem.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
But Snow White is always around to help him pick up the bike;)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
am 5-6 with a 29ins inside leg and the RD03 with max preload was mental tippy toes :confused:
now with the preload set for my wee 13 stone and the forks dropped and its fine, but can get caught out... ( u turns on narrow single track highland passes :D ).. not droppped it yet.. note the RD03 4 s are taller than the RD07s

these are 1/4 tonne bikes with a high centre of gravity, but fine once you are used to that .. and they are very stable at low speed ( legs up :thumbup: )

currrently getting the seat lowered and will then see if I need to shortern the rear shock.

would not let the hight put you off.. great bikes :blob:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm 5' 6" and a couple of thou. Inside leg 27.5". I had the same concerns as you after I had got my AT. Suggest the following:

- drop front forks about 1 1/2" thru the yokes
- fit lower seat (e.g. corbin).. and more comfy too.
- practice regular low speed manovering techniques
- where other less vertically challenged persons might move the bike when sitting on it, just jump of and move it - put your vanity in the bin.
- pay attention to where you park or wanna get off, avoid adverse cambers etc.
- if you drop it just pick it up

I tried the New Ducati Multistrada on for size last week at Motostrada in Shipley near Bradford. It had the low sculpted seat fitted. Only got one big toe touching the ground. Sales man suggested getting 1/2" sole fitted to my boots... now there's a thought.

But if you weigh it all up the amount of time spent getting on/off a bike or stopped a junction compared with time spent moving enjoying the experience of riding a great bike is so insignificant so just go for it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
my two penneth is

Dont even consider an RD04 - mine is 1" taller than standard but even as standard it was taller than my old KTM 950 Adventure

They are very very tall and when fully laden with a full tank they are a handful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts