Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well Father Christmas is taking last minute requests and my wife still shakes her head at my 'work bench' in the garage, what good value drawered chests can people recommend (or as ever the ones to stay clear of)

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
This is going to be one of those how much you want to spend threads as you do get what you paid for.

Around 1991 when i started my apprenticeship my gran bought me my first box as a present for getting an apprenticeship. We used to get the MAC dealer come around and in 1991 she paid £365 for this box empty. I can not fault the paint, drawer slides door locks or anything it's over 20 years old now (where's that time gone) and other than needing a wipe over with a wet duster is in showroom or show van condition.

sdfsdf 010.jpg

sdfsdf 011.jpg

A few years ago i started running out of room in it and i iffed and ammed about trading it in with MAC or Snap-on for a roll cab or bigger box but then decided against it. I went to FWB who at the time were agents for TENG and i think they still are. They had this box discounted to about £100 with a free 1/4" socket set i thought ok, Teng aint bad stuff so i bought it and have regretted it ever since i do wish now i spent some more money and bought a better quality one. The whole build on this feels flimsy and not very strong the locks feel like if you gave the lid a good hard pull you would pull the lever of the barrrel and the drawers are roller free so they don't slide that freely or easily. Now only the cheaper lower quality kit i have live in that one as i just dont trust it for security. The Teng one is alot younger than my MAC box and is showing it age alot more than the MAC box

MAybe thats because i'm used to the quality of the other one as that was my first one, but the TENG box is with no shadow of a doubt seriously inferior to my MAC box. You need to decide how much you want to spend then you can cxompare some inthe same price range

sdfsdf 009.jpg

In Work we spent Nearly £20,000 on new hand tools last year and the agent they went with were BETA. NOw some of the BETA tools we have are seriously overpriced junk and are very poor quality. We did however get 3 roll cabs and 1 static workshop box which was a huge roll cab with hug top box and 2 huge side boxes fitted. The roll cabs do seem to be holding up quite well as in work with 40 different people mistreating them they seen to be ok. All the tools chest and workshop boxes though have needed new locks fitted to them which was done under warranty

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
My wife bought me a rollcab toolchest from Costco about four years ago. Its made of stainless steel and has roller runners on the draws. More than good enough for hobby use. I bought a Snap On box over thirty five years ago, £25 I think? I was in the trade then. I sold the Snap On one on e bay for around £100, still in good serviceable order.
The Costco one looks equally well made.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
I have a full stack of Snap On (roll cart, mid box and top chest) which whilst costly, will last my lifetime - but jeeeeeeez are they expensive :(

Take a look at the Halfords Professional range as they are excellent quality for the money - ball bearing roller drawers included :thumbup:

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Another vote for Halfords Professional, outstanding value for money kit, don't get me wrong Snap On, Teng etc are the dogs bollox but for an enthusiastic amateur just too expensive IMPO.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
My wife bought me a rollcab toolchest from Costco about four years ago. Its made of stainless steel and has roller runners on the draws. More than good enough for hobby use. I bought a Snap On box over thirty five years ago, £25 I think? I was in the trade then. I sold the Snap On one on e bay for around £100, still in good serviceable order.
The Costco one looks equally well made.
I also bought one of these form Costco a good few years ago. Made by CSPS AMEX METAL Stainless steel and so far has been bullet proof. Drawers are easily opened one handed from either end. I bought a 41" one with 7 or 8 drawers in the base and about twice that in the top cab. Price wise was around the £400 mark.

However that being said the last ones I saw in costco were painted steel fronted and looked cheaper made and the drawers bound of you tried to open them from one end. The also had a latch on each drawer which need operating so you had to use two hands.

If I could needed another one I would happily buy the same model again

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
As mentioned - it depends on what you want to spend & the intended use.....

I have a Clarke (MachineMart) which is great without the wheezing pricetag of some, also have a Draper which does feel a bit cheap & cheerful.

On the farm we had a few of these;
19" TOOL STORAGE HEAVY DUTY METAL CANTILEVER TOOL BOX | eBay
Which, although not a tool chest, stood up to hideous amounts of abuse!

Phil

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there are some offers on at the moment (inc one one wheels to help thieving scum to move it into their van) a good price but want to check out the thinness of the metal first:thumbright:

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
I got the black halfords industrial tool cabinet and top box last year in they're sale for £345.00 basicly it was buy one get one free. excellent quality.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts