Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

what would you take on a 5 day trip in terms of tools and stuff...its going to be me on my alp, one or two vulcans and a blackbird...i assume some stuff could be shared between us?

R.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Luckily, that space under the seat is cavernous! So, a puncture repair kit, some cable ties and some bungees. Anything else you feel.
A boat might help as your on Malta:rolleyes:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh the boat, now that is a sore point...you have no idea how lucky you guys are to be able to drive off into the sunset any time you feel like it. we have to contend with booking space on a ferry at 200 euros a pop (peak prices)...so dont mention boats to a maltese biker :rolleyes:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come on fellas, :p

lets be serious about this...:blob5:

obviously factory toolkit
puncture repair kits of any sort (and believe me i mean of any sort;))

swiss knife? duct tape? any fluids?

a friend of mine carts around a small multimeter and a bit of wire and some electrical tape?

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
I have under my TA's Seat .. all the time

Hand Pump ,
small tyre pressure gauge
Fuses
Replacement Bulb Kit
Length of Wire
Gaffer tape (Wound around Pen)
Small can Wd40
Multitool
LED Torch
Jump Start Kit (actually the additional croc clips wires from actumate)
Front Inner Tube under seat beside the rear light
Clutch Cable Tied under rear carrier
small selection of nuts & bolts
Mini socket set , couple of screwdrivers, and 10 / 12 / 14mm spanners
couple of Latex Gloves
selection of cable ties
Brake and clutch levers
12 Volt Phone Charger
An old bulb soldered wired to 2 croc clips, use as tester (have found small multimeter, now) (last trip could have used a meter ) Raymo
and honda tool kit

In my Jacket

AA Card
Phone
Credit Card
Cash

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
And on my @ at all times.....

Hand Pump, (not under seat as slightly too big)
Fuses
Insulation tape
Inner tubes, front and reat (not under seat but taped to handlebar)
Spare Clutch and brake lever
Socket set
Cable ties
Honda tool kit
Extra tools - pliers, Screwdrivers etc etc
Tyre levers

Think thats about it....basically, whenever Ive needed to do a job at home on the bike Ive always made sure I use the tools that are on the bike so I know the job can be replicated in the field. And so far Ive not had to add any additional tools so I think I carry enough.

Plus when Im trail riding, a fold up spade (and I have had to use it) and when solo I also carry a winch (there has only been one time I could have done with it but didnt have it...so I bought it incase theres a next time).

Have a fun trip.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
hi there,

what would you take on a 5 day trip in terms of tools and stuff...its going to be me on my alp, one or two vulcans and a blackbird...i assume some stuff could be shared between us?

R.
AA euro breakdown cover and fuses are all i take plus the toolkit that comes with the bike, sometimes a 12v compressor

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Not for a five day trip but collected stashed and always there

(Under seat)
Compressor - Airman Sparrow
Mini Socket set
OEM tools plus leatherman (oem pliers binned)
Tyre levers stashed in rear paneling with rim protectors and sliced garden hose

Front left panel
Tyre repair kit (Tubeless) greasy ragworm type
Fuses
Bowden Cable repair kit
Spare clutch lever
meter of electric cable
5mm insulating tape

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Spare gear lever off ebay (Honda CR85?)
Clutch cable
Bottle opener

Plus wot they said!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
5 days going where doing what mate? 5 days going north into europe on road will be like a trip to the shops to an alp, 5 days in north africa or even sicily off road something completely different.

for option 1 i would do nothing special except to make sure the tyres and brake pads are up to your expected mileage for the trip, and perhaps give the bike a small service if one is due soon, but thats all.
apart from what should already be on the bike like fuses and basic tools, i would take a set of bulbs, small 1st aid kit, flouro bib, a small packet with some zipties, electrical crimp connectors, a small torch with a metre of insulating and duct tape wound round the handle, a metre of electrical wire, small socket and screwdriver set, bungee net, emergency cable ends(made out of domestic plug terminals). some of it might be a legal requirement either in malta or where you are going.

for option 2 i would definately service the bike, get some offroad tyres, armour the bike as best i could with engine bars, barkbusters etc. take the above stuff and a puncture kit, spare HD inner tubes, tools for changing tyres and a compressor, not just for pumping up tyres but also for easily changing pressure for on/offroad. if your with a blackbird and two vulcans you wont be doing all this though will you?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the advice guys...that is exactly what i was looking for.

sorry for the delay in replying but i was away from the pc for a couple of days on work trip....cheers

its a road trip covering malta on through sicily and up into the lower half of italy if we cover the distance in time, so my requirements would be pretty tame in terms of emergency repairs...but its better to be safe than sorry

the black bird and the vulcan have done the trip before too, but i hate being a load on other people, especially in situations like a roadside breakdown

R.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
then if 'pinkie' has been behaving lately i wouldnt worry about it. apart from needing to be able to cope with a fuse, bulb or puncture that can happen anytime anywhere, i'd just get on and enjoy the trip mate.
hope you have a good time:D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi Guys

I know this thread has pretty much thrashed the issue out, but I thought I’d add my two ‘penneth, based on 8 years of riding, touring and fixing my Royal Enfield 500 trials Bullet on and off-road. Now that I have bought myself a 650 ‘Alp I thought I’d be needing fewer tools…but by the looks of previous posts I might be needing more. Good job the 'Alp has ample under-seat storage, plus a bolted on tail pack and a new tool tube. Maybe carrying all those tools is a case of prevention rather than cure, or as my late father used to say “you’re better looking at it, than looking for it!”. Anyway, my original ‘Bullet list’ was as follows:

‘Pooratech’ Panniers:
tyre pressure gauge
multimeter
electrical wire
crimp connectors/chocolate block
fuses
spark plug
points & file
condenser
basic factory toolkit
10-17mm combination spanners
6" & 10" adjustable wrenches
cable ties
half-litre bottle of oil
extra bungees & net
chain/padlock

Tank Bag:
can of tyre foam
WD40
insulating tape
Swiss army knife
multitool
clutch / front brake / throttle cables
sat-nav & charger (in map pocket)
latex gloves
12v phone charger
1st aid kit
bottle opener
torch
toothbrush

Jacket Pockets:
RAC card
phone
credit card
cash (mix of sterling & euros)

And for camping trips, I add a few more essentials…
tent / tarp / sleeping bag / inflatable mat (all in rucsac strapped across the top of the panniers)
pillow
folding chair
meths stove / billy cans & ally fuel cans (plus spare hexamine stove & fuel)
kettle / mug / cutlery
lighter & matches
water carrier & ally bottles
folding table
windshield
machete
survival knife
baby wipes
compass & map(s)

...its amazing the Bullet still pulls with all that gear, and my 14 stone. The 'Alp has two and a half times as many horses as the Bullet (yes, really), so I reckon its time to load her up and hit the trail!

Joe

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi Guys

I know this thread has pretty much thrashed the issue out, but I thought I’d add my two ‘penneth, based on 8 years of riding, touring and fixing my Royal Enfield 500 trials Bullet on and off-road. Now that I have bought myself a 650 ‘Alp I thought I’d be needing fewer tools…but by the looks of previous posts I might be needing more. Good job the 'Alp has ample under-seat storage, plus a bolted on tail pack and a new tool tube. Maybe carrying all those tools is a case of prevention rather than cure, or as my late father used to say “you’re better looking at it, than looking for it!”. Anyway, my original ‘Bullet list’ was as follows:

‘Pooratech’ Panniers:
tyre pressure gauge
multimeter
electrical wire
crimp connectors/chocolate block
fuses
spark plug
points & file
condenser
basic factory toolkit
10-17mm combination spanners
6" & 10" adjustable wrenches
cable ties
half-litre bottle of oil
extra bungees & net
chain/padlock

Tank Bag:
can of tyre foam
WD40
insulating tape
Swiss army knife
multitool
clutch / front brake / throttle cables
sat-nav & charger (in map pocket)
latex gloves
12v phone charger
1st aid kit
bottle opener
torch
toothbrush

Jacket Pockets:
RAC card
phone
credit card
cash (mix of sterling & euros)

And for camping trips, I add a few more essentials…
tent / tarp / sleeping bag / inflatable mat (all in rucsac strapped across the top of the panniers)
pillow
folding chair
meths stove / billy cans & ally fuel cans (plus spare hexamine stove & fuel)
kettle / mug / cutlery
lighter & matches
water carrier & ally bottles
folding table
windshield
machete
survival knife
baby wipes
compass & map(s)

...its amazing the Bullet still pulls with all that gear, and my 14 stone. The 'Alp has two and a half times as many horses as the Bullet (yes, really), so I reckon its time to load her up and hit the trail!

Joe
No wonder you had so many breakdowns on the Enfield carrying all that extra weight

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well Jason, to be honest, I had very few breakdowns: the odd puncture or cable failure, and a split carb manifold rubber (forgot to list the duck-taped spare I carry now)...but when you have 12-18 Enfields covering 4-500 miles in a weekend, and on occasions between 50 and 75 'True Brits' in convoy for the day, something is likely to give. I could have done with a winch a few times, including once I got badly stuck in the forest less than 2 miles from home.

My own Bullet has 28k on the clock, and its rare for one not to have had the head and/or timing cover off in that time...but if it aint broke, don't fix it. I only took the primary drive side off to change the final drive sprocket (inconveniently located on a concentric shaft between the clutch and gearbox) to increase the gearing, and I'm still running on the original clutch and primary/final drive chains. Oh yes, it's pretty oiltight too, which is unusual.

One of our guys has been known to tackle almost anything (with the exception of a big end replacement) at the roadside, and prides himself on his resourcefulness - Irish Army training and QM responsibilities, I suppose.

Looking back over my list it looks a bit like overkill - and certainly more than I would have expected a 'modern' Honda rider to need, so I'll try to trim it down. My last proper outing was to meet a couple of friends on their ageing BMW650GSs (we live about 100 miles apart on the east coast but met up at a midway point...about 200 miles away on the west coast), and they don't seem to carry anything other than mobile phones and recovery/credit cards. Can't see me getting quite that 'hands off'...for a good few years anyway.

Joe

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Maybe the table and chair could be classed as overkill the rest I'd class as sensible, almost essential. Depending on where your going what time and how far off the beaten track you want to venture

ref crimp connectors and chocky block a couple of these may be smaller lighter

·
Registered
251 Posts
The table is a small Eurohike rolled-up ally one, which takes up very little space (inside a pannier), and the chair is a basic Tesco's folding canvas one which weighs next to nothing (strapped alongside the rucsac): little comforts, well worth taking on camping trips.

As for 'off the beaten track', Ireland isn't exactly a big place, but you'd be surprised at how remote some of it is, and how isolated you can feel when something goes wrong. My RAC membership covers the whole island in theory, but I wouldn't like to test it more than 50 miles south of the border (no offence intended to my southern friends, and I hope none taken).

I like the look of those connectors - are they readily available, and from where?

Joe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts