Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HiMy 1987 TA is using a fair bit of oil (±1L/1000km), and I want to replace valve stem seals, piston rings, and maybe the valve guides if they are worn. I have been looking around for an original top end gasket kit, and the price seems to be around £120. I have found an original set on eBay for £30 though. Seller is based in the UK, seems legitimate and claims the gasket is a genuine Honda spare. The £30 gasket set has the ID# 06111-MAB-680, and is listed as compatible for 1987-2000 TAs. Upon further research the 06111-MAB-680 original gasket set is only listed as a spare for 1994-1999 models by Honda, even though the gaskets look very similar. I have been studying the gaskets from the different years and the only changes I can see are on the cylinder gaskets, and cylinder head gaskets. The cylinder gasket from 1994 has a smaller hole in one area than the one from 1987, but these are cheap so i can just buy the 1987 one if they are not compatible after all. The cylinder head gasket from 1994 has 2 small holes 4 places around the cylinder, which I think is for the cooling passages. On the 1987 version the 2 small holes are combined to one large. Otherwise they look similar. I don't know what the 2 gold rimmed holes are for in the '87 version but they are not essential, as they only are on this revised gasket, and not ont the original '87 gasket. This one is the most expensive so it would be nice if I could use it. 1994 Gaskets: https://imgur.com/a/HAkZBTt 1987 Gaskets: https://imgur.com/a/nI1vAAk eBay listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-...550132?hash=item41d5a9d034:g:dGcAAOSwQ8JZ3m2I TL;DR Will top end gaskets for a '94 TA fit on an 87' TA?Also am I crazy for thinking I can get away with an actual OEM gasket set for just £30? EDIT: I tried to post this with paragraphs, but whatever I do it just turns into this ugly wall of text, sorry guys

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I think there were changes in the head oil feed/drains internal some years external others, should show pipes on part lists, but pictures are not always correct (just used last years!) check pictures and lists. The internal ones with oil holes may fit the external pipe ones as the oil holes are sealed possibly by head and barrel BUT honda may have changed coolant passage location as well !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 1987 engine version does have an external oil feed, and the 1994-1999 does not. The gasket for 1994 seems to have the water passages in the same place as the 1987, but I am worried that the 1994 will restrict water flow as in the 94 gasket its two small holes next to each other, and on the 1987 its just long oval holes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried to contact the seller behind the ebay listing with the same questions posted here, but no reply. Im guessing that head gaskets from '94 will probably fit on an '87 transalp, I have decided not to take the chance. Honda redid the transalp in '94 and some changes to engine too, internal oil feed among others. I'm going to assume that Honda has a really good reason for making the gaskets different in those small areas, and that '94 gaskets should not be placed on an '87 transalp.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Can't help with your original question,,,,,,,
but I'm sure I read somewhere that the early Transalps do burn more oil than you would expect from a Honda.
Certainly my 87 does, tbh I've never bothered to measure how much but I would guess at least 0.5 litre / 1,000km (maybe a bit more?)
I tend to only use it in cold weather as I bought it as a winter bike, so it's normally parked from March to November, I guess it might use more oil on hot days?
I bought it 4 years ago with 60,000km on the clock, it's showing 85,000km now, and the consumption hasn't got any worse in that time.
But,,,,,,,, it runs smooth, pulls well, doesn't smoke, doesn't foul the plugs, doesn't rattle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,doesn't give me any cause for concern.
So I just top the oil up now and then and ride,,,,,,,
Just wondered if anybody would like to confirm if this kind of oil consumption is normal,,,,,,,,,,,,,?
Good luck with the rebuild, but for me,,,,,,,,,, "if it aint broke,,,, don't fix it" :thumbright:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry for the thread invasion but I bought one of these ebay gasket sets as my 98 600 alp seems to use a little oil. I was wondering if i'm okay to re-use the head bolts and are there any other parts that I should be inspecting/checking/replacing while I do it? Originally I was only planning to do the valve stem guides but it seems wrong not to do the top end as I have the parts. I think the bike has done around 35k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts