Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps

first of all id like to say hi as im new on this forum and also new to the dommi

im picking up a 96 dommi this weekend that likes to smoke somewhat .

apparently when you start it it smokes heavily but the clears after a few seconds to a slight smoke.

im think this is probably the valve seals and this is what im going to attempt to do ..

is there anywhere on here or another site that has a step by step proceedure for doing this with pics

any help would be appreciated

Regards

Zippy:thumb:

·
2,701 Posts
Welcome :thumb:

I would invest in a Haynes manual first of all.

If taking head off to do valve stem seals i presume you intend to lap the valves in while your at it. I would also slip the barrel off and check / renew the piston rings.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome :thumb:

I would invest in a Haynes manual first of all.

If taking head off to do valve stem seals i presume you intend to lap the valves in while your at it. I would also slip the barrel off and check / renew the piston rings.

can you get a haynes manual for the nx650 i couldnt find it on their site?

also, Ive never stripped a 4 stroke before so i was looking for a guide for dummies :(

surely it cant be that hard a task as its only a single cylinder right ?

or should i be talking to a mechanic ...id rather learn than pay!

·
2,701 Posts
Surprised they don't do one for the Dommie. :confused: The same engine is in the SLR / Vigor etc.

I have one for my XR600 which is basically the same engine.

Contact David Silver's or Ling's for a honda workshop manual, i know they do photo copies of originals for most bikes.

These engines are simple and easy to work on, so you should be ok. . . . Just take plenty of piccies as you go for reference.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
There's a genuine Dominator manual available on ebay cheap. Different model but the engines the same.
I'd also sort the bore/rings while apart.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a genuine Dominator manual available on ebay cheap. Different model but the engines the same.
I'd also sort the bore/rings while apart.

i was going to replace the rings as a precaution but the bike has only done 14000 miles so i wouldnt have thought that it need a rebore unless something really stands out

but arent these engine usually bomb proof im hoping not to find any disasters lol

·
2,701 Posts
i was going to replace the rings as a precaution but the bike has only done 14000 miles so i wouldnt have thought that it need a rebore unless something really stands out

but arent these engine usually bomb proof im hoping not to find any disasters lol
Good engines depend on good servicing. . . . . . let any RFVC engine run low on oil and the top end will be first to go.

Workshop manual on CD ; Honda NX650 Dominator Workshop Manual NX 650 on eBay (end time 08-Apr-10 23:19:04 BST)

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
You can do with a 1988-2003 Dominator repair manual.

You're going to have problems taking the top off with the engine in the frame.

Mileage is irrelevant on dommies. Around here, every second hand bike sells with 30k km on board. I've seen them with true km or closer to 130k km. Most run pretty well so they get away even with fake mileage. The most extreme was one with 21k km and a piston re-bore (down to the 2nd mark), non-honda clutch, thinned out non-oem brake disks and cluncky top.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like my SLR, only done 15k kms, but standing for too long betwwen rides. Stripped the top, almost no wear on the bores, valve seats A1, but the valve guide oil seals had hardened a little; enough to make it burn oil like a 2-stroke!
You may be as lucky as me.:thumbright:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like my SLR, only done 15k kms, but standing for too long betwwen rides. Stripped the top, almost no wear on the bores, valve seats A1, but the valve guide oil seals had hardened a little; enough to make it burn oil like a 2-stroke!
You may be as lucky as me.:thumbright:

yeah im hoping this is the case but im prepped for the worst now having bought a complete gasket set and manual for an XR650

im collecting the bike this saturday so well know on sunday !!:confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts