Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to oil starvation to the top end, I need a new cam and rockers after I ran about 200ml dry at the top end (how do you know u ntil its knackered?!?!)...wondered why the tappets needed constant adjustment!! Now very badly worn.
Anyway, looks expensive so am looking at getting some used parts from overseas...or wherever I can find them. Couple of questions

RD02E engine
Anyone got a set they'd like to part with?
Will XR650 (L or R) cam and followers fit an RD02E? Looks pretty similar....
Anyone tried a "hotcam" from the states?
Any other ideas or comments.

Many thanks

·
Registered
742 Posts
Have you changed the oil pump for an XR650L version? It would be worth doing that first before buying a new cam as that pump is largely the reason that the early RD02 engines fail.
The pumps leak oil and starve the top end of oil causing the damage you have suffered.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I fitted a used XR650L cam in my Dominator, they are exactly the same as the Dommi cam, the 650R cam is completely different,
have heard a few reports of poor quality with the Hotcams and you would lose the auto decompression that is fitted to the stock cam,
I had to swap my cam for the same reason as you , oil pump failure, i rebuilt my pump with new rotors but my advice would be dont bother,
my rebuilt pump only lasted 3-4000 miles before failing and wrecking my new used cam ,
for the second rebuild i fitted a new pump and new XR650L cam and new followers, bought all the bits from the states, partzilla or bike bandit cant remember which now,
exchange rates at the time made it much cheaper buying from the states than UK or Europe, not so sure that is still the case,
all been running well for last 5k+ miles

·
Registered
147 Posts
I fitted a used XR650L cam in my Dominator, they are exactly the same as the Dommi cam, the 650R cam is completely different,
have heard a few reports of poor quality with the Hotcams and you would lose the auto decompression that is fitted to the stock cam,
I had to swap my cam for the same reason as you , oil pump failure, i rebuilt my pump with new rotors but my advice would be dont bother,
my rebuilt pump only lasted 3-4000 miles before failing and wrecking my new used cam ,
for the second rebuild i fitted a new pump and new XR650L cam and new followers, bought all the bits from the states, partzilla or bike bandit cant remember which now,
exchange rates at the time made it much cheaper buying from the states than UK or Europe, not so sure that is still the case,
all been running well for last 5k+ miles
May I ask, for future info
Is your engine an RD02 that you rebuilt with XR650L parts ?

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Thats great thanks

Did the customs here charge you much for import ?
Think charges are equivalent to vat rate 20%
when i bought mine a few years back it worked out around 30% less than anywhere in UK or Europe even with the postage and import tax added

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your assistance guys, feel confident going forward with XR parts. Will attempt to follow up as I strip the offending parts off and replace them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts