Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening

After nearly 17 years, a mate and I were discussing the joys of riding in the sh1t weather we have been having recently, I was complaining about poor vision, when he suggested 'Pledge', the furniture polish. I thought why not?

The results are amazing, why I have never done this before, I don't know, makes rainX look like sludge.

Mark

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Do you apply it outside for the drops of rain to run off or inside to stop it fogging up

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I've used it in and out for years in the winter sh1tty months::thumbright:

·
Administrator
1,770 Posts
It rather depends on whether or not your visor has an anti-fog coating inside. Mine has ( it's a Shark) and it works well, so I just wash the inside with water. Outside, though, I use Mr Sheen which makes the water run off cleanly, even that sort of misty light rain that normally just sits on the visor giving very poor visibility.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Don't use it if you have a visor insert on the inside - the chemicals in the polish react to the plastic on the insert and after a while it looks like its dirty - fogging up etc

This happened to me on Fog City inserts but after I was told about this reaction I have not used it inside

Been using Pin Lock ever since but have not used the polish on the inside - just clean non detergent soap so the insides don't get scratched

·
Registered
348 Posts
I got the "Mr Sheen" tip from a Police motorcyclist friend of mine waaaay back in 1980 when he took me through the IAM test.
Brand new Guzzi 500 and peeing rain that day, but happy to say that Mr Sheen did the trick . Helmet was a Premier as worn by Phil Read. Good in its day, but like all lids then it had a gap between the 1mm visor and seal. Still, happy days and a lot of learning to see me through until today when helmets are seriously good, but still poor at shedding water/spray. Surely in the age of NASA, Goretex and computermabobs etc, some bright person could come up with an answer? I'm not holding my breath, but I'm the eternal optimist. Even BMW's heated visor had its limitations, but was a good effort if a little pricey. So, what do you use? Les

·
Administrator
1,770 Posts
.....some bright person could come up with an answer? I'm not holding my breath, but I'm the eternal optimist.
Holding your breath is probably the best answer to a misting-up visor. Not so good for concentration, or staying conscious,though ;)

·
Stone Crazy
5,307 Posts
Must agree with Rubberchicken traditional turtle wax is good, and it seems to cover light scratches a bit as well

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
It's not for cleaning though, per subject. Clean with a bit of wet rag or whatever, then put the wax on to keep the water off.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
I use Turtle wax cockpit shine spray, you know the type --- cleans up the dash of your car.

Works perfectly well, the rain just doesn't stay on the visor at all. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Fairy liquid works well on my glasses. Squirt some into a little lid and leave it somewhere warm for a few weeks and you end up with a block of waxy like substance that you wipe on and buff off. Only lasts a few days but great when on the bike as my glasses always steam up long before my visor does.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use Turtle wax cockpit shine spray, you know the type --- cleans up the dash of your car.

Works perfectly well, the rain just doesn't stay on the visor at all. :thumbup:
I use Mr Sheen, which works well, but I find it doesn't last that long. Like the idea of Turtle Wax Polish....I'll give it a whirl :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pin lock is the best recent invention I think, visor down, pouring rain, breathing normally, and you can see, what more could you wish for, apart from when the Pledge runs out...

The other day I rode home and stupidly opened the visor in the rain, which got the inside wet, then closed it, double droplets inside and out + car head lights = damaged pants. So I decided to lift the visor fully, which is also a bad idea, as the pain from the driving rain / spray in the eyes nearly caused me to modify the back of a Merc...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts