Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
On a road trip in Europe at the moment and need some advice.
I had the engine oil changed and full service about 2000 miles ago at my local Honda main dealer in the uk. I'm not sure what oil was used but assume it was the recommended type. I'm not sure if that would be semi or fully synthetic or even mineral to be honest.
My problem is that I've noticed the level is a little low. No mark on dipstick when on side stand. If I hold the bike upright there is an oil mark.
I bought 1 litre of Repsol fully synthetic 4t oil and now realise the API grade is not SE. SF nor SG as recommended but SN. I'm assuming this is a higher grade and would be ok to top up/ mix with what's already in there.
There is also a JASO ma2 number which I think is for ultra modern high performance bikes/ catalytic compatible.
I'm very tempted to top it up for the 1100 mile trip back home . A full oil/filter change is the pricey option but I'd rather wait until I get home and do it myself.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I use Silkolene 10 40 semi synthetic as its the appropriate stuff for the era of bike. From time to time you hear of issues with the wrong oil causing problems. Synthetic oil causing slipping clutches etc.
Manufacturers go to great expense to match oil to the engine. I expect bikes will still run on other than spec oil but what does it do for longevity? I prefer not to be a test bed.

Ps not wanting to teach how to suck eggs but, the oil level is checked with the bike upright. Unscrew the fille plug wipe it then put back but not screwed in. Then look for signs on the hatched part of the dip stick.
I have a centre stand so it helps.

Reactions: spain

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Traveller.
Mines got a centre stand too and when I check the oil on that there is some on the lower part of the dipstick but I've always been led to believe it needs to be on the side stand and the dip not screwed in (as you say)....meaning more oil is needed. My Hayes Manuel says it needs to be on side stand and not centre stand.
I think I'll find a semi synthetic 10/40 with the correct API grade and just put a tiny bit in. Oil light is not on and bike is running ok.
I know about fully synthetic causing slipping clutches which was a concern for me. Plus not knowing what's already in there and not wanting to possibly mix oils...even though my Internet search seems to say mixing modern fully synthetic oils isn't a risk.
Thanks ��

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi I was always lead to believe dip oil when bike upright / centre stand .
99. 9 % sure about this[/QUOTE
I've always checked on the side stand because the Hayes manual says so. Or so I thought until I just
checked it again and it says level and upright. Use a centre stand if the bike has one. I feel such a fool now. Serves me right for not reading the instructions properly.
Sorry guys. Thanks for the replies. My bike doesn't need oil...I need glasses.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hope this helps. From XRV handbook.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JASO MA2 is the latest spec for wet clutch motorcycle oil. its fine for the AT.
Thanks Bounder. Not needed now as I've been checking oil on side stand which gives a low reading. Oil level is fine.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
JASO MA2 means the oil is compatible with our wet clutches. No problem. You can mix synth with semi-synth or mineral. Again no problem.

And as was said, oil is always checked with the bike on its center stand on a level ground. Oil level shall be between the two lines.

Lee

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Lee. Good to know. I was unsure about compatability but good to hear it's all ok. I've always stupidly checked oil on side stand. Always kept it nearer the low point so in reality I've been lucky as on centre stand it would be nearer high point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to chip in to a so far informative thread.
- The manual states bike upright on level ground. Doesn't mention center stand. I find that on the center stand, the level is lower than just level on wheels. Makes sense, as the center stand rises the rear of the bike, and the dipstick is at the rear of the engine.

So i'd recommend on wheels, on level ground and upright. You don't need center stand, just stand on the seat and lean down to check.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Just to chip in to a so far informative thread.
- The manual states bike upright on level ground. Doesn't mention center stand. I find that on the center stand, the level is lower than just level on wheels. Makes sense, as the center stand rises the rear of the bike, and the dipstick is at the rear of the engine.

So i'd recommend on wheels, on level ground and upright. You don't need center stand, just stand on the seat and lean down to check.
The above is true too. No need to put the bike on a center stand. I myself once checked oil while seating on the bike, because the ground was too unstable. But it is difficult to add oil while seating on the bike... Easier with the bike on its center stand.... ;-)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JASO MA2 means the oil is compatible with our wet clutches. No problem. You can mix synth with semi-synth or mineral. Again no problem.

And as was said, oil is always checked with the bike on its center stand on a level ground. Oil level shall be between the two lines.

Lee
I've just added about 1/4 of a litre of the Repsol JASO MA2 oil. Dead centre of dipstick marks with bike held upright. On side stand it shows just on lower dipstick mark and on centre stand slightly lower than centre of dipstick. Good to go and ready to ride. Hopefully no clutch slipping. Should be back in UK on Sunday. I'll let you know how it goes but my mind is a ease know. Cheers.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back home after 1350 miles in 3 days. Absolutely no problems at all. Oil level still the same. Anxiety level normal from unnecessarily high. :thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Back home after 1350 miles in 3 days. Absolutely no problems at all. Oil level still the same. Anxiety level normal from unnecessarily high. :thumbup:
Good to hear

1 - 20 of 23 Posts