Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil yesterday but I couldn't manage to get anything other than a ring spanner on the drain plug. Anyone found a way of getting a torque wrench involved?

I'm wondering about trying a 17mm crowsfoot but I don't think a normal one would fit, only a ring type which after a quick surf seem to cost £40 plus which seems a bit excessive.

Spring balance on the end of a spanner??

Forgot to say it's an XRV650

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Just tighten it up without putting too much force on it and you will be ok ,
It's not a critical component, just be sensible about it:thumbup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
yeah its a bugger,

I always tighten it with the first two fingers on the lower side palm down and when it hurts too much to carry on its tight enough

I have tested it with a torque wrench and it works out about 20-25NM depending on how brave I feel on the day :D

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Just did it up carefully as you suggest, but as getting at it required removing the crash bars and the engine guard thingy I was keen for it not to leak.

Also, I'm a self-confessed engineering detail geek so like the idea of torque setting things!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I usually tighten mine with a socket on a normal 3/8 ratchet. As you say, I can't get a torque wrench in there. I find that the shortness of the ratchet (Halfords professional I think) gives me less leverage than a 17mm spanner, so I put all my scrawny might into doing that up and it has been fine this last trillion oil changes.

I only use torque wrenches for axle nuts now, just so I know it'll undo again at a later date..

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Ok ,I sometimes use a sparkplug washer ,it tightens nicely as you feel the washer compress:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts