Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to replace my old torque wrench so can anyone recommend a mid priced, 3/8 drive suitable for motorbikes bearing in mind it will only be used occasionally and for the usual routine stuff. my old one came from machine mart and served me well so it doesnt have to be a snap-on or anything. thanks in advance.

mark

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Boris is spot on.

The Halfords professional wrenches are made in ENGLAND by NORBAR. They use these at work (the Norbar branded ones) and are a great wrench. Easy to use and a good price. I have two. A 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive. :thumbright:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Halfords pro range is excellent, and you can get 50% off with a Halfords trade card. E.g. I got the 8 - 60Nm and the 60 - 300 Nm for £90 all in.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
2nd or third all this, I have that Halfords wrench and the 40 to 200Nm version too.
I'm not rich but I've had enough second bikes to know how bad some POs can be.
So I felt it was a good investment.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you all. halfords it is then. wiffy wifey has offered to get me one for my birthday so result. better than some socks or a jumper. torque wrenches are more usefull to me. cant wait to try it and find out my eight year old torque wrench was miles out all these years.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I have had a bad experience working with a mate on his bike using Halfords professional spanners saw the 7 & 8mm ones just round off the bolts as they were in the most awkward place i was going to have nighmare to remove them. There was no way of getting a grips on the couldn't drill them out so no hope of an easy out was a bit stumped. On the off chance i put my snap-on spanners on his rounded off nuts and my spanner undid them. That put me off Halfords Professional range for life just seemed cheap crap to me, could tell that by how many peices there were in the kit my maye bought for a £100 from them.
At work the firm bought all new tools a few years back, £25k of Beta tools and that is expensive cheap shit aswell and doesn't take heavy use or punishment well at all and bits are always being replaced through damage

As far as the torque wrench goes i bought 3 Teng Tools ones all reasonably priced i got 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" had them years and can't fault them

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
I've got two proxxon ones. A 20-100 Nm 3/8 and a 5-25 Nm 1/4. Nice solid feeling stuff. Did the GS heads with them, and they're still on. (The R100 is kinda known for pulling the studs out of the block if you overtorque them by as much as a whisker. 35 Nm, no more no less.)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have had a bad experience working with a mate on his bike using Halfords professional spanners saw the 7 & 8mm ones just round off the bolts as they were in the most awkward place i was going to have nighmare to remove them. There was no way of getting a grips on the couldn't drill them out so no hope of an easy out was a bit stumped. On the off chance i put my snap-on spanners on his rounded off nuts and my spanner undid them. That put me off Halfords Professional range for life just seemed cheap crap to me, could tell that by how many peices there were in the kit my maye bought for a £100 from them.
At work the firm bought all new tools a few years back, £25k of Beta tools and that is expensive cheap shit aswell and doesn't take heavy use or punishment well at all and bits are always being replaced through damage

As far as the torque wrench goes i bought 3 Teng Tools ones all reasonably priced i got 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" had them years and can't fault them

I've got a Halfords Professional range tool kit that I got from my parents for xmas one year. I've stripped the top half of my Hilux engine, worked on my Land Rover and done some pretty heavy work with them and they have been tops. It was an expensive tool kit though. Snap On is great stuff but overpriced in my opinion. Britool, King Dick and others are just as good but your not paying for the name.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Had the Halfords jobby for a couple of years now, gets used every week maintaining my wood chipper, it's been a good tool.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Snap On is great stuff but overpriced in my opinion. Britool, King Dick and others are just as good but your not paying for the name.
Absolutly you have to justify the expense against useage i got no problems paying out for Snap-on, MAC or Facom on bread and butter tools that you use each day but stuff you don't need so much i like to buy SYkes-Pickavent, Britool or Teng purely because it won't get used so much and is cheaper but since being bought out, even the Britool stuff isn't the same quality it used to be and they do a budget range aswell now called "expert".

Years ago (probably 20) i bought a 1/2 Sealey Socket set and you can tell all the bits i've used frequently as they've all been replaced with decent brand replacement bits also had some Kamasa stuff which was very low quality i don't even know if they are still going i've not seen anywhere stocking there stuff for years.

You do have to justify the costs of expensive stuff, but you do use it properly and look after and respect it more than cheap stuff.

·
Transalp
48 Posts
Ive recently replaced a lot of my halfords advanved with better quality tools but for the torque wrench I do still have the halfords ones and they're very good imo so would have no hesitation buying one again and won't bother swapping.

You do get what you pay for but its on a sliding scale where you get to the top and you're paying a lot for a tiny bit more quality whereas in the middle you get a lot more quality than slightly cheaper tools and theyre not much worse than the top tools.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
For occasional diy use you can't beat the £20 jobbie from Argos, I've had one since I learned to drive 25yrs ago and its still going strong. I Test it every few months at work and its not up to our helicopter building standards but at 3% over-read its plenty good enough for the home mechanic.
The only thing is its too big for a lot of light work like sump plugs, oil filter and small engine case fasteners.
Whatever wrench you go for, if its a spring and ball 'clicker' type you MUST remember to slacken it off before you put it away, or you'll give the spring a memory and it'll be worthless after that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts