Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hola mes amigos,

Up until now I've always been a "seat it and twist it 1/4 to 1/2 a turn" type of chap but I've found myself pondering the virtues of a torque wrench recently - however I'm somewhat put off by the price - ....but I'm also aware that a penny pinched is a thread stripped so.

Do you guys torque? And can you recommend a particular wrench?

·
Registered
367 Posts
after numerous recommendations from the knowledgeable peeps here, i went with a halfords professional 3/8 drive. i've only used it occasionally mainly on the caliper mounting bolts. too scared to overtighten and strip the threads or not enough and loose the caliper. also on the fork clamp pinch bolts. if i was doing engine rebuilds and stuff then i would definitely use one.

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts
Most of the young lads at work torque everything. They follow the 'manual' to the letter and take forever to do a job.

Us 'Old school' grease monkeys only use a torque wrench on critical components, ie head bolts, con rods etc. Everything else is done by feel or the windy gun. (Aka pneumatic torque wrench...)

Guess it's just experience over the years, can't remember the last time I stripped a nut or bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
As Mark does,I use the Halfords Pro.Saw a report a while ago in some mag or other and of all the ones tested it came out on top. Bit expensive ,but worth it in my opinion.

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts
Not wishing to be funny Johnny, as all our kit gets calibrated every 6 months, and all apprentices used to get issued with Teng tools, we saw a lot of these fail calibration after 12 months. To be fair I've even seen a snap on digital fail from new though!
A lot of their stuff is a bit 'Cadburys' if you know what I mean.
We tend to use Snap on, Mac, Sykes, CP, Norbar etc. but our stuff does tend to be a bit large.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Likewise a Halfords Pro ½" for important items i.e. swingarm & axle nuts and shock linkage nuts. I try not to need to delve too deep into engine but there I would.

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts
Halfords stuff is surprisingly good. I've got a 1/2 set of sockets I've abused the hell out of, even on the windy gun and their not even impact ones. Never had a problem with them. I'd be buying hex sockets though, not bi-hex.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
The Halfords 'Pro' Torque range is excellent - re-branded special just for Halfords by Norbar, so well worth adding to your toolbox :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
my weapon of choice is Norbar....always use it on "critical" things where if something gets loose I end up on the tarmac - the truth is that I am such a hamfisted bugger, that i cannot do otherwise....dont trust myself :)

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
I have two Halfords Pro wrenches. Ridden many makes of bikes, but as I have two BMs which have a lot of alloy, there is no way in heck I wouldn't use a torque wrench on all the fillers/drains etc.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not wishing to be funny Johnny, as all our kit gets calibrated every 6 months, and all apprentices used to get issued with Teng tools, we saw a lot of these fail calibration after 12 months. To be fair I've even seen a snap on digital fail from new though!
A lot of their stuff is a bit 'Cadburys' if you know what I mean.
We tend to use Snap on, Mac, Sykes, CP, Norbar etc. but our stuff does tend to be a bit large.

Fair enough

They're only for hobby use & slackened off after every use naturally

As you say some of the Snap On is worse

·
Registered
195 Posts
hola mes amigos,

Up until now I've always been a "seat it and twist it 1/4 to 1/2 a turn" type of chap but I've found myself pondering the virtues of a torque wrench recently - however I'm somewhat put off by the price - ....but I'm also aware that a penny pinched is a thread stripped so.

Do you guys torque? And can you recommend a particular wrench?
Like others I only use the torque wrench on critical parts like brake calipers, triple clamps, etc.
All other parts are tightened using the wrist-o-meter.
When travelling, obviously, all parts are tightened by feel.

I use torqe wrenches from Kraftwerk. They offer a good balance between price and quality. As far as I know even semi-commercial users rely on Kraftwerk.
If money was no issue I would buy Stahlwille.

Cheers
Markus

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have been short a 24mm 1/2 " drive socket a while now ,but not no more me bird got me a proper hex one in town . not cheap at 5 euro but good quality it will be from that shop . then I can torque up my axel nut on my transalp 600 aften fitting my new tyre it should be 95nm . I wonder if I have it right ? I didn't go nuts yesterday as I knew I would be getting the 24 mm today . I think every bloke who rides a bike should have a torque wrench I often spend twice as much on a night out on the toon even more even if I was plying some fat slag with drink trying to get my wicked way :D

its hans made in Taiwan and I was gone over 95nm .

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've got 2 Halfords Pro torque wrenches and as has been mentioned they are made by Norbar. I've got a Halfords Pro tool kit and it's brilliant. It's rebuilt my Hilux engine and gets used all the time without issue. I use the Torque wrenches on critical stuff like brake calipers, wheel nuts etc.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have been short a 24mm 1/2 " drive socket a while now ,but not no more me bird got me a proper hex one in town . not cheap at 5 euro but good quality it will be from that shop . then I can torque up my axel nut on my transalp 600 aften fitting my new tyre it should be 95nm . I wonder if I have it right ? I didn't go nuts yesterday as I knew I would be getting the 24 mm today . I think every bloke who rides a bike should have a torque wrench I often spend twice as much on a night out on the toon even more even if I was plying some fat slag with drink trying to get my wicked way :D

its hans made in Taiwan and I was gone over 95nm .
lol, there's motivation to spend your pennies on tools instead of tavern wenches. hahaha well done

·
Timid biker
187 Posts
I got the 8-60Nm Halfords Pro. No broken bolts so far! It does feel well made and the gauge is easier and more accurate than most other models. Want to get the next size up for when I rebuild my engine.
Mine is the torque wrench rated at 40-200 Nm with a 1/2" drive, and it's a great tool. Mostly I've used it on axle nuts (when I owned a car), on the rear axle on my AT, and for ISIS crank bolts on my bike. The ratcheting once the preset torque is reached makes it much, much easier to use than the kind that uses a 'calibrated bend' indicator. I've also always stored mine wound down to minimum tension, per the instructions.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mine is the torque wrench rated at 40-200 Nm with a 1/2" drive, and it's a great tool. Mostly I've used it on axle nuts (when I owned a car), on the rear axle on my AT, and for ISIS crank bolts on my bike. The ratcheting once the preset torque is reached makes it much, much easier to use than the kind that uses a 'calibrated bend' indicator. I've also always stored mine wound down to minimum tension, per the instructions.
Aye. Always unwind it. Another thing to watch out for is NOT to unwind it past the minimum (into that dotted area) setting as this plays havoc with the calibration.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts