Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What timing....

A couple of weeks away from replacing my clutch and my trusty torque wrench, that I've had for over a decade has, well, fallen apart.

I have two.
One is a Halfords "professional" 3/8 inch 6ftlb-45ftlb number that is great for general bike work.

However, my larger older 50-150ftlb (also Halfords) gave up the ghost with the adjusting handle falling off. (user induced but I won't admit how). Admittedly it was probably no longer accurate.

Can someone suggest replacements that are tough (my wrenches sometime travel with me), reliable, and not mortgage-worthy.

·
White van man
560 Posts
We use Norbar, made in Banbury UK. Extensive range and bullet proof.

A torque wrench that lives in a mobile tyre van has a hard life, used multi times during the day.

This is the only brand i am now willing to pay for.

The one in my own van is now four years old and was calibrated this week and found to be 100%. We have all our equipment calibrated every six months.

As an added bonus, when at the end of it's life it can be service exchanged.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I agree. Norbar has a good reputation.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
What timing....

A couple of weeks away from replacing my clutch and my trusty torque wrench, that I've had for over a decade has, well, fallen apart.

I have two.
One is a Halfords "professional" 3/8 inch 6ftlb-45ftlb number that is great for general bike work.

However, my larger older 50-150ftlb (also Halfords) gave up the ghost with the adjusting handle falling off. (user induced but I won't admit how). Admittedly it was probably no longer accurate.

Can someone suggest replacements that are tough (my wrenches sometime travel with me), reliable, and not mortgage-worthy.
Teng tools do reasonably priced decent quality torque wrenches i have 3 of them seem ok for home mechanic. Obviously not snap-on or mac quality, other good brands to try but may be a bit more expensive are Britool and Facom

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't got a torque wrench since my brother borrowed mine 30 years ago:mad:, but I've often wondered if a greased/oiled thread will tighten up tighter with the same torque than a dry thread? The previously untouched dry bolts on bikes I've had always undo with a jolt, I always grease them to replace them & I'm sure they tighten up further because of that than before they were undone, is there a rule about greased vs dry threads? Honda must tighten to a torque setting dry, then when we grease them the same torque will surely produce greater tension along the bolt, won't it?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked online and looked in the stores here.

Norbar certainly look nice as do the Teng models, but the truth is money talks...

Over here I have would a 30-150 lbft 1/2 inch drive wrench by a Finnish brand that makes pretty nice stuff, albeit not amazing, for a mere £25!! Alternatively there is a Black and Decker one here for £35.

The dearer B&D one is still only 50% of the Halfords professional equivalent, and 40% of the norbar.

Yes, I'm certain the Norbar is better quality, but I use my wrench once in a while, so I'm being realistic. It'll probably be the B&D.

Oldjack:
A good point and one I've heard made before. If it is any reassurance, I do grease my bolts and re-torque them, but I can't remember ever having had a failure as a result.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts