Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

It would seem that the previous owner of my RD03 suffered a wheel bearing failure on the rear. Instead of finding a new hub they bodged it and have left me to sort out the mess.

IMG_0688A.jpg
The bearing should sit between these two lines, not going to happen here.

IMG_0689A.jpg
A mixture of bearing failure damage and, bearing removal damage.

IMG_0691A.jpg
My poor spacer

My long term plan is to try and save the hub by getting it machined to accept a larger bearing, but that takes time. I had been planning to ride the TET in France at the end of March, but unless I can get a new hub/wheel that plan is dead in the water.

So time to grovel... do any of you have a spare rear wheel or hub for an RD03 (or Transalp 650 A’s they fit I think). I can organise postage/collection from my end so as to reduce your hassle, and will, of course, reimburse you for the parts.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sad day. I've seen some on ebay.de coming out of Italy and Austria.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would a rd04 hub work?
Unfortunately they are not a direct swap, I’m a little tempted to buy an rd04 wheel and try and get spacers made up, as that could be done pretty quick. But there is always the risk the axle isn’t even the same size.

Sad day. I've seen some on ebay.de coming out of Italy and Austria.
Thanks, I have been looking internationally already, wearing with the .de and .it extension seems to bring more hits, but no wheels yet

There is a transalp 650 wheel on sale, but the rim looks in a poor state so I’m not sure if It’s really with the cash.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Will a Transalp 600 rim fit ?
Looks like they are a straight swap. So I can use a Transalp 600 and 650 hub/wheel (providing its from the disc and not drum model) in the AT.

In anyone browsing this thread wants to measure the width of an RD04 rear hub I’d be grateful, it would be great if all the wheels were swappable.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If there is enough metal thickness to machine out for a larger bearing, then it might be better to machine and sleeve it, then fit the standard bearings. But by the look of that hub, it's had enough; it's probably stretched and may well have hairline cracks, so my guess is it's past machining. Time for a new one.:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
transalp 650 wheels are interchangable with AT 750 - i have "winter and summer" sets and interchange them at will - not the brake discs though
also top tip - never tap out bearing with a drift use a rawl bolt from hardware store - £2 and works like a dream one healthy tap and they fall out - easy
basically get rawl bolt that just fits into hub tighten bolt to splay the mechanism then hit from other side
just ask if you want more details - or watch you tube
T

·
Registered
146 Posts
transalp 650 wheels are interchangable with AT 750 - i have "winter and summer" sets and interchange them at will - not the brake discs though
also top tip - never tap out bearing with a drift use a rawl bolt from hardware store - £2 and works like a dream one healthy tap and they fall out - easy
basically get rawl bolt that just fits into hub tighten bolt to splay the mechanism then hit from other side
just ask if you want more details - or watch you tube

Great tip from the Yorkshire lad, cheaper than buying a blind bearing puller set, and makes the job easy

:thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi.
I've found an italian site/guy who seems to have a lot of spares for RD03 and 04 and 07. It's " termoli.tv.it " I have no idea how he is to deal with, but I've checked back from time to time and the assortment of spares seem to change. I've thought about buying from him, but because of Norway not being part of EU there is 25% VAT on the purchase including shipping. So it's kept me off for a while.
I had the same problem as you with the rear hub and a previously ruined bearing. I was able to get a mechanical workshop insert a cylinder in the ruined hub and make the inner diameter the same as the original bearing. So no problem for me but looking at the pictures of yours it seems to be in a worse condition than mine was.

Roger

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all,

I have now purchased a transalp wheel from Belgium, seems to be in ok condition (still waiting for it to turn up). Thanks to all of you for your recommendations and help, I'm still on the hunt for a real RD03 wheel so i'll keep hunting.

On my travels through the internet I found somone who said that an RD04 rear wheel is compatible with the the RD03, all you have to do is change the sliding bracket that the rear caliper bolts onto. If that is the case it opens up a whole new world for the RD03.

Hi.
I've found an italian site/guy who seems to have a lot of spares for RD03 and 04 and 07. It's " termoli.tv.it " I have no idea how he is to deal with, but I've checked back from time to time and the assortment of spares seem to change. I've thought about buying from him, but because of Norway not being part of EU there is 25% VAT on the purchase including shipping. So it's kept me off for a while.
I had the same problem as you with the rear hub and a previously ruined bearing. I was able to get a mechanical workshop insert a cylinder in the ruined hub and make the inner diameter the same as the original bearing. So no problem for me but looking at the pictures of yours it seems to be in a worse condition than mine was.

Roger
I'll have a look at that site. I'm fairly sure I can get my hub repaired still, but whether the decision too is cost effective is another matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts