Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's finally happened :evil:

As posted about on many other forums, my TomTom Rider mount has gone the way of everyone elses and has pretty much given up the ghost.

Problem is it's all made of a fairly flexible plastic and as such it allows the RIDER to move about a wee bit when you go over bumps and stuff. Fortunately I've not had the issue (yet) a lot of others have whereby the RIDER actually drops out. TomTom have "fixed" this issue by offering customers a small lanyard that'll catch it if it does drop out rather than looking at the cause of the problem. Nice one fellas.

The movement of the RIDER unit causes "contact drilling" whereby the little electrical contacts between the unit and the mount arc as they're pulled apart by the vibrations and eventually stop working altogether. That's what's happened to mine now.

You can push the unit against the mount and it'll make contact again, but as soon as you let go it breaks contact. Others I've heard of are using eleastic bands to hold the unit against the contacts.

The (expensive) solution appears to be to buy a TT mount for it, a locking version is available for £75 from the TT website and also saves you having to remove the unit every time you go to pay for fuel or take a whizz. Only possible problem seems to be that you have to use the original electrical component from the TomTom mount – ie the plate with the electrical contacts on that's caused the trouble in the first place.

My, somewhat rambling point is this... Has anyone had any experience of this particular mount and has the fact that it's made of alloy and so holds the unit much more firmly cured the problem entirely?

·
Registered
212 Posts
i to are having problems with tomtom rider.
mine has stopped charging. i've stuck a multimeter on the small contact
pins two are positive and one is an earth but the second one in from the right is dead .
the power lead is ok
touratec here i come.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think I may be experiencing something similar - my Rider goes on and off intermittently when riding. The last time I thought it had died completely but breathed a sigh of relief when I did a hard reset (pushed a pin through the wee hole) and it fired back up.

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently, TomTom have now recognised this problem and are replacing their mounts..according to what my mate has read in another forum.

The nuber they're quoting is 0845 161 0009...gotta be worth a go even if we only receive a replacement mount it's be better to use new bit on the Touratech one...if I ever receive that!

Will have a go on tha number and see how I get on...watch this space :thumb:

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Richie B said:
I think I may be experiencing something similar - my Rider goes on and off intermittently when riding. The last time I thought it had died completely but breathed a sigh of relief when I did a hard reset (pushed a pin through the wee hole) and it fired back up.

Richie, please keep your personal life to yourself :teeth:

Seriously, do RAM make a mount for this GPS? I've had great service from www.gpswarehouse.co.uk, there's a guy there who knows more about RAM mounts than is healthy and he may be able to advise. It's an excellent system, simple and effective!

No affiliation, blah blah blah!

-Simon

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well....I feel I've got to be fair on this.

Spoke to the guys at TT yesterday and they explained the prob;em with my order and I decided to go ahead and buy the mount anyway.

It arrived this morning at 10.30...less than 24 hours later! Cant grumble at that.

Just fitted it and it looks the business, it's lockable so no more removing the gps when I go to pay for fuel or whatever, and most importantly it apears to hold the unit rock solid and so it shouldn't present anymore problems.

Fitted in 5 minutes too...even for me! Pics to follow...

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Slimie said:
Richie B said:

Richie, please keep your personal life to yourself :teeth:

Seriously, do RAM make a mount for this GPS? I've had great service from www.gpswarehouse.co.uk, there's a guy there who knows more about RAM mounts than is healthy and he may be able to advise. It's an excellent system, simple and effective!

No affiliation, blah blah blah!

-Simon
simon that link dont seem to work fella :? :?

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now also have a replacement mount wending its way towards me courtesy of TomTom...who denied completely that this was"a common problem" as I described it.

Then offered to send me a replacement mount without any question! :lol:

They're rather notorious for taking forever to send stuff out though so I shall wait and see <starts stopwatch>

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Von Short Hausen said:
Chad said:
simon that link dont seem to work fella :? :?
Not to worry old chap, try this...http://www.gpsw.co.uk/cats/cl2_99.html/

Though I don't think that RAM do TomTom mounts, or at least I haven't seen any yet :?
They dont. They only make a bit that replaces one of the original TomTom pieces that there's no problem with.

·
Gelände Straße
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now also have a replacement mount wending its way towards me courtesy of TomTom...who denied completely that this was"a common problem" as I described it.

Then offered to send me a replacement mount without any question! :lol:

They're rather notorious for taking forever to send stuff out though so I shall wait and see <starts stopwatch>
Well, gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised. The replacement mount kit arrived yesterday! I dont actually need it now I've got the Touratech one, but it's good for a spare if the electrical component fails (you have to use the electrical part of the TomTom mount on the Touratech one) or indeed as a second mount if I get a second bike :cool:

·
Still comfortably numb
435 Posts
Oh WOW: Sounds like just the excuse I've been looking for to use on Mrs VSH......

"And then I had no choice but to get a second bike, in order to put the other mount on." :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts