Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they any good? I find the standard screen not too bad so dont want to spend £60 unecessarily!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
which bike? 600, 650 or 700?

screens are a very personal choice and lots of factors can affect noise/buffeting

eg

- riding speed
- your height
- seating position
- helmet choice
- earplugs or not
- handguards and other bits fitted

etc

some people like a small screen (less buffeting but colder, less protection), others like to have all the air deflected around them, some like to "see through" the screen, others like to peer over the top

popular makes are...

genuine honda, givi, MRA, skidmarx, puig, wunderlich, ermax, powerbronze

others add "clip on" deflectors, which can be adjustable to suit airflow

there is no one "best" screen. you just have to try some out. personally i like the bigger and taller the better

try looking at these threads:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=transalp+tall+screen+xrv+site:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are they any good? I find the standard screen not too bad so dont want to spend £60 unecessarily!
I have the Givi touring screen on mine, which is reputed to be one of the better aftermarket touring screens. Unfortunately, I've nothing to compare it with but I will say this: considering the height, I'd expect more protection. I'm 5'8" and use an Xlite helmet which has a peak. The wind noise above 60mph is significantly worse on the TA, than on my other ride (CRF250L)...as ds99 implies, it's really a matter of luck as much as judgement if a particular windshield suits your requirements.
Quite a few people tweak whatever they have by cutting bits off, or adding extensions...at considerable expense:(

Ideally, retailers would offer a 'try before you buy' as it can be a costly business replacing screens...They could make them in a horrible colour, with tester stamped on it, or charge a deposit, refundable against a purchase.

One last interesting factoid: buffeting from windshields can be reduced (according to some aerodynamics boffins) by disturbing the 'pocket' of still air behind the screen. This is supposedly why modern shields often stand proud of the bodywork and some have vents and holes in strategic places. There's clearly something in it, but I can't say I'm eyeing up my flat bits and thinking where best to stick some anti-buffetting holes just yet...;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi jonathan, yes having read quite a lot about this i have decided not to bother! Too much risk and expense without surety like you say. Would you buy a pair of shoes and just hope they fit?

·
Registered
268 Posts
See if there are any other transalp owners nearby, who'd be willing to let you try their screen out. Shame you don't live closer, I'd have no qualms helping out a fellow owner....

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
i had a 650 TA and the best combination to get rid of noise/buffeting at speed was the OEM touring honda screen with a deflector added on

see pics

PIC_00022.jpg

x-creensportclip.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
i had a 650 TA and the best combination to get rid of noise/buffeting at speed was the OEM touring honda screen with a deflector added on

see pics

View attachment 117026

View attachment 117034
I'm tempted to get a OEM shield off fleabay just to see the difference...there's an MRA equivalent advertised with the extra deflector, but it's from a breakers' and he's asking silly money for it...

Feels like I'm hemorrhaging money on the TA at the moment :rolleyes:

Nearly sorted now though.:thumbright:

(Note to self: never take a used-motorcycle dealer's word as gospel)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I found the Honda touring screenon my TA 650 suited me, I like to look over the screen and not be buffetted by it. I must be the 'right' height for the Honda touring screens as I found that one on a Deauville also suited me.
I found that a topbox improved the airflow over me on the TA 650 I assume it reduced the flow breakup behind me when riding solo.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Funny, I tried a Honda touring screen and found it shook my head horribly at around 60mph.

I've tried all sorts and resorted to swapping between them.
Tall ones give wind/weather protection at the expense of wind noise.
Stock & cut down stock are the quietest, at the expense of weather protection.
A reasonable compromise between the two is an MRA vario

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Funny, I tried a Honda touring screen and found it shook my head horribly at around 60mph.

I've tried all sorts and resorted to swapping between them.
Tall ones give wind/weather protection at the expense of wind noise.
Stock & cut down stock are the quietest, at the expense of weather protection.
A reasonable compromise between the two is an MRA vario

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
I agree completely with all that. I replaced the tall screen on my 700 Alp with an MRA Vario and although not perfect it's much better than the Honda screen. I even tried the vario wing on the original Honda screen but it didn't make much of a difference.

Nick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have tried touring Honda screen; and a Powerbronze, with various diy Perspex additions, at all angles. I've drilled holes in an old standard screen. I've settled on a standard small screen with a small Perspex deflector, but horizontal, or almost, right at the top of the screen. This seems to be where the air breaks away from the upright edge of the screen, so if you force it to run horizontally, it can't tumble straight behind the screen and create turbulence. Extensive testing has seen me ending up with this conclusion and set-up. If I stand up now, there is little difference in the air flow around my helmet compared to sitting with the small screen and horizontal deflector, wheras with every other set-up I tried, the air flow was much smoother when standing. For me it is about that, smooth flow of air, rather than wind protection. A tall screen will still benefit from a horizontal deflector at the top, but still with noticeable turbulence. Having said all that, my 3 friends who all own Transalps, don't agree and use their own combination of screen and deflector. For me, I think all screens should come with a curve along the top edge, into a short horizontal section. Hold a piece of Perspex in a 60, 70 or 80mph wind, and the only angle it won't create turbulence is when it is horizontal, or a few degrees off. Got the idea from a V-Strom forum post where a guy had tried it just to se and he was amazed it worked too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love the pics! That scooter screen has the right idea although it looks like you'd be looking through it. As for the corrugated roof....well!

My idea is much more subtle; see my pics posted in this forum titled "4 Transalps". Mine is the blue one. Standard small tinted screen with a small deflector angled horizontally at the top. I can post better pics if interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts