Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get a tow bar made for my 2010 varadero 1000? Have seen them before but never found out from where

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it helps I think I have seen one advertised on preloved or gumtree, just search for varadero . It was there at the weekend. Justin

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a tow bar made for my 2010 varadero 1000? Have seen them before but never found out from where
If you want a monowheel trailer, then I believe Mono-Trail may be able to assist you. These are the tow hitches that pull from the rear axle and use a UJ type coupling. I think that Watsonian-Squire also make towbars to go with their trailers. Squire.

I am exploring a small trailer for camping purposes behind my Vara, not from any real need, just seems like an interesting thing to do!! :) Arrive on-site and dump all the gear for the ride out later, easy packing and from what I understand, little impact on handling and much better on the bike with no huge boxes :)

Biggest drawback other than filtering issues, is the effect on legal top speeds, 56 on Nat speed limit roads. However.......

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I should mention that I purchased the towbar of the guy selling on Preloved and he sent it last week to me. It is a seriously heavy bit of one-off engineering, but at least the weight will be low down...!

If anyone here was interested, they are welcome to pop over and take any measurements or pics. I will also post some pics for posterity when I get around to fitting the hitch in the next few weeks when it is warmer in the workshop! ;)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Very late pics of the build of the hitch. I had "lost" the pics :(

IMG_20130316_094617.jpg
Basic frame from 12mm solid bar!! Heavy...

IMG_20130316_094702.jpg
Takes a 50mm ball hitch, but the smaller diameter pin mount

IMG_20130328_155054.jpg
Fitted and ready to roll :) Still had the wiring to do then but now sorted.

IMG_20130328_155111.jpg
Just about see the mounts under the rear subframe

Solid engineering, if the subframe was up to it, the hitch would manage 500kg a breeze ;) I reckon the guy who built it was a shipbuilder...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just what I was looking for for my 2007 Varadero, I have saved the pics so I can take them to my local fabricator, any chance you'd be able to put a tape measure on the various sizes and lengths of each piece so I can get one made here in Wales?

Kind regards
Gray:) 07980958278

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Just what I was looking for for my 2007 Varadero, I have saved the pics so I can take them to my local fabricator, any chance you'd be able to put a tape measure on the various sizes and lengths of each piece so I can get one made here in Wales?

Kind regards
Gray:) 07980958278
It'll be way cheaper to come and buy this one!! :thumbup: It is for sale as I found I was not going to use it as I had anticipated... SWMBO was not interested in bike trips :-(

Nice little run over the mountains to South Shropshire then across country to Telford. Do-able in a good morning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts