Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday just gone, the weather was good, the rest of the family were out so I had the afternoon to myself:) So decided to go exploring some green lanes in the area on the Transalp. I intend organising a XRV rideout sometime in the future so thought this could be a reccy into planning what could hopefully be an interesting route around the Wantage / didcot area. Studying the Explorer 25k 170 Abingdon Wantage OS map I marked up five lanes that looked viable .

The first trail started here just below Ardington and headed east. Unfortunately the trail had some very deep ruts which made progress on a big heavy bike like the Transalp just to difficult, on a number of occasions I had to put my feet down for balance only to find a 30cm deep hole instead! However because of the rutted nature of the track turning the bike around also proved both difficult and hazardous, I finally found a flat enough space and executed what must have been a 20 point turn.

The start of the first trail, near Ardington, Oxon.

------------------------------

The next trail was basically a continuation of this trail the other side of the road, with a continuation of the riding conditions, again after travelling a 100 meters or so I decided to turn back. It's a shame with the reduction of the legally ridable trails now around this one was all but impassable on a big trail bike.

Some deep ruts, not that they appear hazardous but this one was over 30cm deep

Trail three started just below the village of Harwell here, this was more like it, starting off as a relatively smooth gravel track running parallel to some arable farmland, fairly quiet apart from a few walkers with dogs, who I slowed right down for and nodded thank you when they restrained there pets as I passed. The track became slightly rougher further on but still very easy going. It passed near to the new Diamond Light Synchotron
and you don't pass many of those in your average ride!

Halfway along the trail there was again confirmation I was on a legal byway as can be seen from the sign in the picture above, so strange as I finish the trail I came across this sign below! On studying the 25K OS map it appears the very last 100 metres of the route is a RUPP now recategorised as a restricted byway, even more bizarre is the fact this last part of the trail is tarmac.

Trail 4 started here, in the village of Chilton, this was a nice albeit loose gravel trail, at the start I came across two horses and riders, I turned off the engine and pushed the bike to the side of the trail to let the riders past, with a smile and a thank you from the pair of them. I try to be as courteous as possible to other lane users Motorcycling has in my opinion an unfairly gained bad image thanks to a small but very visible minority, we've already lost the use of many of the green lanes out there, so I think anything we can do to save out image and hopefully any more anti-bike legislation the better!
The route crosses the old disused railway line from Didcot to Winchester A route now followed by the overcrowded A34, ah, that's progress for you!.

While heading towards the next trail I passed another byway sign so had to follow! here, this skirted the small village of West Hagbourne, this was a short dry mud track which started of quite smooth but became a bit rutted and muddy a little further on than in the picture below, still quite manageable on a Transalp. It was signposted at both ends as a byway.

Around West Hagbourne

My final trail for the day started here but appeared totally overgrown and quite impassable, but by this time I was very hot and quite tired so headed home instead!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Get the invite posted. I fancy some of that and, in a group, the big rutted tracks ight be worth a try.

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
Me,Me,Me.:D

Thats as long as the heavyweights are invited !:rolleyes: :D :D :D

just let me know the time/place, :cool:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Great stuff, I'll be up for a ride if you set it up :D

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Me too, Russ!

Around here they often sign up a footpath or a bridlepath that is someway from the road and it turns out that there is some sort of road branching off the bridleway/footpath.

They want to keep 'em quiet :) :)

Anyway, who wants to help me break the bead on the back wheel of the Kay Tea Emm so I can fit those TKC's??!!

-Simon

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I was going to put up a post asking if a 1993 600 TA wil be any good for green laneing since thinking of joining Trail riders but after reading your post i see the TA is still abel to cope with a little rough stuff just as long as its not too deep or muddy.;)
Great post :joker:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
good drills buddy its nice to see a feller getting out on his bike without a big fuss, and on unkernobbelly tyres give me a shout next time

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im not to far from you (west Berks) and have used those trails, it can get a bit worring riding them alone, im always up for a ride out. Im glad to hear that you respect the other lane users, it goes a long way.
take care

1 - 10 of 10 Posts