Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on these speedo replacements.

my options are one of the following

1. Trail Tech Not sure which model would work best on the twin. Looks to be the best priced option.
2. Koso RX2N The one from rugged roads looks good, but it is pricy, you have to buy the speedo adapter, water temperature fitting and oil temp fitting all seperately.
KOSO RX-2N Multifunction Speedometer - Detailed item view - RUGGED ROADS - Honda BMW KTM Motorcycle Accessory
3. Acewell 6456
Acewell - Acewell Speedometers - ACE-6xxx - ACE-6456 High Performance Speedometer analogue RPM to 9000 | Digi dash | Digital Speedomter | Motorcycle Computer

Any one had any experiences with these?

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on these speedo replacements.

my options are one of the following

1. Trail Tech Not sure which model would work best on the twin. Looks to be the best priced option.
2. Koso RX2N The one from rugged roads looks good, but it is pricy, you have to buy the speedo adapter, water temperature fitting and oil temp fitting all seperately.
KOSO RX-2N Multifunction Speedometer - Detailed item view - RUGGED ROADS - Honda BMW KTM Motorcycle Accessory
3. Acewell 6456
Acewell - Acewell Speedometers - ACE-6xxx - ACE-6456 High Performance Speedometer analogue RPM to 9000 | Digi dash | Digital Speedomter | Motorcycle Computer

Any one had any experiences with these?
Fitted Acewell to a previous bike and Koso to Insomnia the AT, no direct experience of Trail Tech but they have been used by any number of people so I'd say any of the 3 manufacturers can provide a unit which will do the job although Trail Tech from memory don't offer a combined needle digital display.

If I was doing it again I'd go with Koso over Acewell as I find their units easier to read with the combination of led's and backlighting, the unit is just easier to see be it in sunshine or darkness and in addition their reed sensors for the speedo feed are IMPO much better quality.

Concerning your comment that you have to buy adapters with Koso compared to Acewell, that's not the case, both manufacturers supply an adapter which will fit into the AT's water thermostat housing and reed sensors to take data from the front disc, (the Acewell sensor will require a magnet to provide information, the Koso is more advanced and can actually sense the disc bolts or gaps in the disc carrier as they pass it) if you want to use the bikes speedo drive in both cases you need the right speedo adapter. Same with oil temperature, need to fit an adapter to replace the sump plug or tap into an oil line, the sensor is provided with the kit but connecting it is up to you.

Yes the Koso unit is slightly more expensive, but IMPO you pay for what you get and as a package it's superior to the Acewell. Combine this with the fact that buying it through Rugged Roads who know how it fits on an AT, know what components you need for the connections and can supply the wiring data and support for fitting and it's the better option.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
I have a koso on my AT - very impressed. Very acurate and easy to read speed, I didn't bother connecting the rev counter, wired up ok and is quite compact. The speedo reads off 4 little magnets set into the disc bolts which are easy to get out and the fixings are well made. It is the basic model but can't imagine the more expensive ones are not good vfm.

·
Wannabee Adventure Rider
227 Posts
I have a Trail Tech on my DRZ 400e which has worked faultlessly for 2 years, no experience of any of the other makes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so to get the Koso to function as best possible, I need to order the sump plug adapter, and if i wat to use the speedo cable, an adapter for that aswell?

Any thoughts on benefits of using the speedo cable verses the unit picking up the speed from the disk?

·
Registered
561 Posts
i never used stock speedo but it might be handier get the adapter for it as save you have make up spacer to fit in where speedo used fit

also no need for sump if you are going to use the water temp gauage. thats all i have on mine and its all thats on the bike as stock

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I will be ordering from rugged roads and the parts will need to be shipped to South Africa, do you guys suggest I put a volt meter on as well?

·
Registered
561 Posts
my opinion is if your fitting loads accessories then a vold meter is good idea.

but sometimes too many dials mean you spend more time wondering is there an issue with my bike when you see numbers lower than you taught were correct.

most bike manufactureres dont fit them so why bother. i would be more inclined to put a low volt warning light. that way you get warned when battery low or not charging

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
I went with the option of fitting both oil and water temperature sensors, the Koso unit has the capacity to monitor both and the adapter simply replaces the oil sump plug.

Using the speedo converter simplifies the installation as you don't need to mount the sensor on the front wheel. It was not an option for me as I was installing onto a KTM front end but if it had been I think I'd have taken the easy way out and gone with the converter, keeping the reed sensor of course just in case the bikes speedo drive ever failed in the future. :p

Concerning the voltmeter, I have a recently fitted a Koso unit on my "old" Bmw and have an LED voltage indicator fitted on Insomnia, personally I like to know what's happening with a bikes electrics, not charging is bad but over charging with the potential to burn out the battery and other electronics is worse as far as I'm concerned so as you've asked, yes I would. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I have completed the contact form on the rugged roads website to ask if they ship to South Africa and so far no answer:(

Also I need to know what the charges to South Africa would be

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bit the bullet and ordered the Koso from Rugged roads, with the sump plug adapter and the speedo drive connector

·
Registered
31 Posts
BTW, does the Koso unit works with stock @ water temperature sender or one need to replace it with Koso sender? Are there any adapter needed to install Koso sender?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my Koso Unit, do I just connect it straight as per the wiring diagram recieved from rugged roads, or would you guys suggest putting a fuse in somewhere to protect it, if something goes wrong on the wiring?

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Got my Koso Unit, do I just connect it straight as per the wiring diagram recieved from rugged roads, or would you guys suggest putting a fuse in somewhere to protect it, if something goes wrong on the wiring?
From memory the main connection to permanent live has a fuse, well either it has or I provided a fuse through the Blue Sea fuse panel I installed when doing the rebuild, other than that just connect as per the diagram.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i didnt install a fuse. manual from koso does not say needs one so i take it has one built in or a safety circuit stop anything going bang

just wire it in per rugged roads diagram.

BUT....... if want be tasty, buy a 9pin block connector off ebay, they sell them for jap bikes.

then get old holds block connector, pop all the terminals out, pop them into new donnector and pop koso ones into the other side.

that way all your new dash connectors are running through 1 electricl connector and its stock part not a splice and dice job

i have pic on phone somewhere will pso tit when find it

1 - 20 of 48 Posts