Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yep, that is right, not a bike trailer but a motorcycle cargo trailer! :)

I have this strange interest in putting a trailer behind the Vara, not from any huge need, more just to try it out. I have the towbar for the Vara here ready to be fitted when it is a bit warmer and a pukka trailer to be collected when the weather picks up. But the one wee glitch is the wiring up the socket for the trailer lights, on the bike, though one saving grace it is not a can-bus setup :)

The intention is to use a standard automotive plug and socket, that is easy enough, but I am wondering if the output from the bike has enough juice to power a light setup on the trailer or do I need to use an isolation harness* with power for the trailer lights coming from the battery using relays? The other option I considered was to swap the trailer lights for LED's that pull a fraction of the load, and essentially wire the bike socket into the harness at the back of the bike.

Any comments please or advice anyone?

* Like this Harness

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
LED light like this, trouble is that they show no info on wattage. Lights

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
It looks an interesting project Steve!

How are you hoing to sort the hydraulocs for the tipper & how much sh!t is this thing going to cart :D

I saw one using a minimal frame & a car roof box which I thought was a neat solution!

Phil
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've towed a trailer behind a Goldwing and a Triumph Rocket. The Goldwing was wired straight into the loom, without problems, and the Rocket went throught a PCL Towing Interface (see picture) Towbar 002.jpg
I wired the Goldwing, the Rocket had been 'professionally fitted' and they both performed without problems, even on hazards. I have changed the lights on my trailer to LED's and it has improved the intensity and efficiency of the lights (stop lights don't dim with indicator on, etc). If you have room fit an interface and change from incandecent bulbs to LED's - you wont regret it.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How are you hoing to sort the hydraulics for the tipper & how much sh!t is this thing going to cart :D

I saw one using a minimal frame & a car roof box which I thought was a neat solution!

Phil
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
I had intended building my own trailer until I priced the indiespension units, lights, wheels etc, on top of a 2nd hand box and the like. I reckoned it would cost at least 150 quid for the bits alone. Picked up a brand new but unfinished purpose built bikejobbie for £250 :) The main thing I am told is a must, is a swivel hitch to prevent the trailer from flipping the towing vehicle. I used them on the quad trailed equipment too.

What will it carry....? Now therein lies a conundrum because as James (Jaqueslemac) can confirm, I do have a kitchen sink mentality when it comes to motorbike camping trips. Not good news I suspect when I put a trailer into the equation! Obviously a small generator for my electric blanket when travelling further North than Manchester, beer... and more beer, food etc etc Room for cheap wine on the way back from foreign parts....

Oh yes and a big ass tent to allow me stand up now I am getting really ancient. Or even go for a Harley/Gold Wing style camping trailer tent at mega bucks.... I think not! You can buy a lotta B&B for £5-6k I reckon :)

Of course, the hydraulic power pack is not required in these modern times, an electric linear actuator will be used for tipping purposes ;) Actuator

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've towed a trailer behind a Goldwing and a Triumph Rocket. The Goldwing was wired straight into the loom, without problems, and the Rocket went throught a PCL Towing Interface (see picture)
I wired the Goldwing, the Rocket had been 'professionally fitted' and they both performed without problems, even on hazards. I have changed the lights on my trailer to LED's and it has improved the intensity and efficiency of the lights (stop lights don't dim with indicator on, etc). If you have room fit an interface and change from incandecent bulbs to LED's - you wont regret it.
Cheers, neat looking job on the Rocket ;)

So to confirm, on your Wing, you simply spliced into the tail lights and indicators and ran a cable to the socket? Do you have to use an interface for LED clusters, as I thought they were simply a straight swap for the lamp cluster fitted with bulbs?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Don't know if its been mentioned yet but I believe there is a maximum width of one metre for motorcycle trailers in the uk. I also seem to recall them being banned in Spain?

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you are correct there is a 1m maximum width on a bike trailer. Not too sure about the rules in spain but I know in germany where trailers are banned you can take one in as long as the trailer is legal in your own country. Slap some GB sticker on and you should be okay :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts