Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday had a text from a mate, Steve, to se if I fancied a ride out to find some green lanes. Looked a good day so we met up at Ringwood. After a burger at a road side van(very yummy) we went to find a prospective trail he'd seen over Salisbury way. Found the said trail and followed it along for over 4 miles, medium speed hard earth and gravel. We found a good bit of mud and decided to get some real mud on the bikes. Steve has a brand new Transalp(last years model- but new) after a few photo opportunities we got to the end and planned our next move. No maps and no idea where any lanes were:rolleyes: Then from where we had just come from we see another rider coming our way riding a Honda CRF230. After a 20 min chat we all headed off to find a By-Way that was on his map(spot the TRF member!). Nice trail and narrower tan the open trail we'd been on. After about 3/4 of a mile it got much more knarley and muddy, we carried on. Not so long into the trail the CRF had ridden on and the trail was getting quite technical with the mud and branches, Steve was looking like he was going to go back as he feared for his paint work, lots of broken and cut down branches, just then CRF comes back to find us and we decided to continue. I was lead bike at this point. A few hundred metres along the trail I see this big (30 metres?)puddle(lake!!) Thinking CRF had gone through it I went in slowly and carefully. Boy this was deep, but the going was good and I stayed right close to the bank. 2/3 along I'm not sure what happened but I was on my side, and not the bank side either!! Left hand fairing and side of bike could be seen my legs under it trying to support the bike. Steve and CRF man had stopped and could only watch!! They gingerly walked along the bank and I got the bike up right. I managed to push it out the other side and onto dry land. Off came the side panel and air box cover to reveal a very clay mud interior. Out came to filter and I cleaned up the mess with some tissues and my fingers, with was after I took off my boots and emptied the contents out. The water had come over my knees! After trying to start the bike without a hint of anything we raised the front wheel on the bank and once again turned it over. This time good plumes of water came out the exhausts. After 1 3/4 hours we decided to try and tow the bike to a road (CRF man had gone on and reccied the trail(this was the worst bit and the rest was easy!!). Steve had the idea of using some willow as rope, which sort of worked but didn't hold for long. CRF man found some bailing twine from a gate post which proved very good. After about 1/4 mile along the edge of this field we came to the road. And it was on a hill and we were at the top!! After bump starting it down the hill it fired up, oh deep, deep joy!
At this point we thought it prudent to go home. We said our good byes after exchanging numbers and rode off. After about 10 miles Steve and I realized we were heading in the wrong direction so we stopped and turned round at a shut down petrol station, thats when disaster struck! I thought I could smell a burning smell, looked round and saw smoke out the rear of the bike and lots of it! I shut the engine off and got off, milky goo was coming out of the airbox drain hole!! Off came the covers to find a very milky mess:(. I so happened that we had stopped out side a tractor garage and so I asked if I could wheel the bike inside and drain my oil and also could I buy abot 2 liters of oil. One biscuit tin full of oil, and still very black, well with a hint of mayo(!) later refilled her up with new oil. This should get me home....ish. Well yes and no. The smoke from the engine looked like I'd been shot down!!! I couldn't see Steve behind or any cars for that matter and I was still 40 odd miles from home! I nursed it to Steve's parents house just outside Salisbury who gave us both a very welcome cup of tea and his dad gave the bike some very much needed oil. We both work at Southampton Airport, though I live at Southsea and Steve, Bournemouth. I very slowly rode the bike as far as the airport and parked up. Steve rode home. The next day we picked up the bike in one of his company vans and dropped it off at my garage. I wouldn't have ridden it so far had it not been for the clattering noise from the head. I thought if the engines knackered then might as well soldier on home. The damage was already done. So I now have to find time to strip the engine and see what the damage is. Already bidding on ebay for an engine. My thoughts are to get the bike running again with replaced and new parts or sell the Dommie as a no running bike and put money towards an XR. Depends on the price I'd get for the Dommie I suppose? We'll see, I'm not flush with cash so this could take some time! Te funny thing is that I've not had so much fun on a bike since I had my XL125R, along time ago and I'm still smiling now. Was a great day despite my broken Dommie. My feeling on the damage is that the rings have gone and the heads been starved of oil. I shall check the bottom of the engine but thats been kept full of oil and o sounds coming from down there.
Pics of the adventure below....

·
What did I do that for...
468 Posts
Oh no...:(

I hope it all works out OK.

Sounds like fun up until the puddle!

·
2,701 Posts
Ahhhhhh, the joys of offroading ;) :D

I would strip the top end to see what the damage is, if your lucky it may not be as bad as you think. :)

If you can find the problem, a check on the price of parts should help with the decision.
A bike that is running is worth at least twice as much as a non-runner.

Good luck :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Sounds like the engine filled with water AND YOU KEPT GOING!

Is it a SLR engine you're thinking of bidding on? Let me know and I'll leave alone as my Domi is still going.

Glad you're still laughing about it, I'd be gutted.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hopeing that the oil by passed the rings and that the piston is still good. Think that the oil filter blocked up causing pressure under piston(water in the oil would not have compressed either) and starved the head of oil. would have been better to have not started it at all and RAC'd it home. But really didn't think about water going down the breather tube, passed the filter. I think i will go the sports bike route and take it off the airbox and route it higher up the bike with its own K+N filter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wasusing girlfriends laptop and it has a slow refresh rate, lost out by £1 in last 10 secs!!!!!!!! Went for £51, totally gutted. Had to bid low asnot much cash to play with, should have bid higher earlier but thats my ebay inexperiance! only bught two items before. Sorry that i made you lose out.
There is a complete SLR unit goig for £225 on a buy now, but that is a bit steep I think? Not much around on the net that lok any good, however there are lots of XR600 heads going in the USA and in good condition. I eed to do a forum search to see f they fit easily, think they do. Hopeing that bottom end is good, my feeling is that it is as oil was held there and blown passed the piston. Wont find out till later this week asI work shifts and days off start on Thursday.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was looking at that SLR engine on eBay too, but when you factor in that the gear change shaft is snapped (necessitating a complete engine strip, new gasket set etc etc) it looks expensive to me. Plus you have no idea what other bits might need replacing too.

Simon

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I was looking at that SLR engine on eBay too, but when you factor in that the gear change shaft is snapped (necessitating a complete engine strip, new gasket set etc etc) it looks expensive to me. Plus you have no idea what other bits might need replacing too.

Simon
Aggreed, to much money and work. More like £100-£150. Be a different story if you could hear it running.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
wasusing girlfriends laptop and it has a slow refresh rate, lost out by £1 in last 10 secs!!!!!!!! Went for £51, totally gutted. Had to bid low asnot much cash to play with, should have bid higher earlier but thats my ebay inexperiance! only bught two items before.
I'm gutted and I didn't bid. They'll be others, maybe not as cheap though.:(
Think it's just the clutch basket rattling on mine but was never that pleased with the way it went together. Output shaft tightened sligthly went the clutch basket nut was tigthened. Think I'll be looking at the same fault as went I got it in the furture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts