Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again

When I collected my Alp it had what appeared to be an almost brand new Trailwing on the back. I have done just over 1500 miles since, all on tarmac and it is now looking decidedly second hand and worn especially on the central band, athough it still seems to be gripping okay even in the recent wet weather we have encountered up here in the far north of our fair country. Is this excessive wear for this type of tyre?

Tom

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that. I'm obviously not used to tyres with knobs on. Probably looks worse than it is. Will check depth and let you know

Tom

·
Blah! Blah! Blah!
153 Posts
My TA700 has just clocked 7000 and rear tyre still looks ok!!

thought I may have to get it changed at the 8000 service though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Trailwing that came with mine lasted just over 3000 miles, kept at 29psi as per the handbook and considered wisdom within this forum. It always gripped fine, just didn't last as long as expected. Put a pair of Tourances on now and am 'experimenting' with pressures.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was getting just over the 4000 miles on a rear trailwing, i would book it in for a servcie and get a new tyre at the same time, did make the service dear. got 3 rears to 1 front then changed to BT45's and big improvement. Will not be going back. ps thats on a 650 'alp

·
Registered
19 Posts
My rear trailwing is just about shot at 4000miles on my 650, just got to decide on tourance or bt45 next. Loved the BT45`s on my CB500 but tended to loose my mate on his Hornet :p so might be better off going for the Metz to slow me down :thumbup:.

·
Registered
533 Posts
How do you guys find the performance of the Trailwing? You'd have thought a soft, quick to wear (as per this thread) tyre would be sticky, but mine is always sliding around on white lines etc, never had this problem with the previous, stock, tyres ('09 700 but I can't remember what they were).

I'm not too fussed about life expectancy, just want a decent dual purpose tyre, one I can green lane with as well as be confident with on wet roads.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello again

When I collected my Alp it had what appeared to be an almost brand new Trailwing on the back. I have done just over 1500 miles since, all on tarmac and it is now looking decidedly second hand and worn especially on the central band, athough it still seems to be gripping okay even in the recent wet weather we have encountered up here in the far north of our fair country. Is this excessive wear for this type of tyre?

Tom
I have the original Trailwings on the 700 Alp I bought new. Have done about 1,300m so far and they have been fine, loads of tread left on back and front. I don't do dirt so that's road use only and I'm a fairly laid back rider, with little very rapid acceleration or hard braking. So there appears to be something awry with your rear being so worn after only 1,500m if that is the real mileage.

Many here complain about them but I've not experienced any problems like sliding on white lines etc. and the bike handles very well. But to be fair I've never tried any other tyres on this bike so I can't compare. The only problem I've had was a rear wheel puncture on a motorway just a few days after taking delivery from new, but that's not the tyre's fault.

When it comes to replacing them though, I'll go for a more road biased tyre like BT45s. Not because I'm against the Trailwings but because they are too knobbly for my exclusive road use.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the original Trailwings on the 700 Alp I bought new. Have done about 1,300m so far and they have been fine, loads of tread left on back and front. I don't do dirt so that's road use only and I'm a fairly laid back rider, with little very rapid acceleration or hard braking. So there appears to be something awry with your rear being so worn after only 1,500m if that is the real mileage.

Many here complain about them but I've not experienced any problems like sliding on white lines etc. and the bike handles very well. But to be fair I've never tried any other tyres on this bike so I can't compare. The only problem I've had was a rear wheel puncture on a motorway just a few days after taking delivery from new, but that's not the tyre's fault.

When it comes to replacing them though, I'll go for a more road biased tyre like BT45s. Not because I'm against the Trailwings but because they are too knobbly for my exclusive road use.
To be fair I only experience sliding on white lines when accelerating reasonably hard, or cornering, so your laid back style might just be within the limits of grip

·
Registered
177 Posts
....Many here complain about them but I've not experienced any problems like sliding on white lines etc. and the bike handles very well. But to be fair I've never tried any other tyres on this bike so I can't compare.....
same here.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I always seem to get better milage out of tyres than most.
I have not had trialwings on my bike but do notice that new tires always feel different form the tire they replace, by the time they wear down to the point that they start misbehaving I have forgotten that the previous set were the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts