Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I should know before buying a Trangia cook set ? Just been into Blacks who have a small selection,but looking at the website I see there is a massive range of sets available. Any recommendations ? :)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Go non-stick. Makes a big difference with cleaning. But obvioulsy buy some non-damaging utensils too.

Reactions: Sohoeasy

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
That.

And a bit of fleece (or whatever old rag) to stick between them, or after 500 miles in a bike pannier there won't be much left of the non stick.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
I've had a trangia ( think it's a 2-3 person thingy ) lasted me for more years than I care to remember. Upgraded to a non stick frying pan and a gas powered adaptor. The meths is sooooo slow and a bit sooty,but the gas is A1. However, I always carry spare meths about in case the gas runs out.

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
And an alarm clock to get you out your bed 30 minutes earlier than usual so you can have your breakfast almost ready in time for the petrol and gas stove boys to start cooking theirs. That way you will all be ready to eat at the same time.

Reactions: Sohoeasy

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
And an alarm clock to get you out your bed 30 minutes earlier than usual so you can have your breakfast almost ready in time for the petrol and gas stove boys to start cooking theirs. That way you will all be ready to eat at the same time.

:lol::lol: true Gordon

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks everybody for all the info. :thumbup:

So looks like a blinding bit of kit,but unless used with a burner it seems a bit of a waste of time.

I just got sick of using the bl**dy Halfords cooker and going through gas cans, at one a day !

Bearing all this in mind I've just been on to the Optimus website and found a repair kit for my Optimus Nova (pump valve gone). 26 quid.

Job done ! Trangia stuff would be nice too but we can't have it all I 'spose. :)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I got mine standard Trangia Swedish Army Ranger model in 1979 when I enlisted, still have the very same kit.
Non stick type though.
Have always used fuel wich is a bitch wintertime, difficult to light up if fuel is cold, takes for ever to heat up. Dinner usually ready by the time it's time to move on... Gas model would be a huge improvment!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got mine standard Trangia Swedish Army Ranger model in 1979 when I enlisted, still have the very same kit.
Non stick type though.
Have always used fuel wich is a bitch wintertime, difficult to light up if fuel is cold, takes for ever to heat up. Dinner usually ready by the time it's time to move on... Gas model would be a huge improvment!
Blimey Kjell,I was working in Landskroner in 1979. You must of been one of those military lads ( unlike the British army) that didn't have to get a hair cut ? :D

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Blimey Kjell,I was working in Landskroner in 1979. You must of been one of those military lads ( unlike the British army) that didn't have to get a hair cut ? :D
I was in Skövde, Army Ranger Regiment K3.

I was a dispatch runner for obvious reasons... :happy7:

and it did not stop me even if I had one leg stuck in a rabbit hole.

http://formyhour.com/the-three-legged-man

·
Registered
533 Posts
Buy a pocket rocket, boils a kettle in minutes. All the trangia will do is cover it in soot...

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
coleman mult-fuel 533

got mine of ebay £30, runs on fuel from the bike :thumbup:

awesome.... tried the coleman fuel too but its dear but dont smell..

biker camping so the smell of petrol not an issue :toothy9: well for me any way

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
coleman mult-fuel 533

got mine of ebay £30, runs on fuel from the bike :thumbup:

awesome.... tried the coleman fuel too but its dear but dont smell..

biker camping so the smell of petrol not an issue :toothy9: well for me any way
That's a good'un Raymondo :thumbup:,but the times I've tried to find one new and in stock before now FFS ?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
That's a good'un Raymondo :thumbup:,but the times I've tried to find one new and in stock before now FFS ?
I use a coleman feather 442 which is the same burner as the 533 but the fuel tank is slightly thinner and taller whereas the 533 is shorter and dumpier. A bit like me and Raymo really :)

I really like it. It's super fast while being really controllable and I never have to go hunting for fuel.

I use Aspen 4T which is about twice the price of unleaded and burns much cleaner. When that runs out on a trip the bike supplies the refills.

Once home a quick 2 or 3 minute blast on aspen before I put it away after my trip and it's all clean and shiny again.

If it was lost or stolen I would buy another without a doubt. Either 442 or 533 whichever came up first at the right price.

I also have a 400a (from the 60's or 70's) which is super controllable but harder to light and is now a million years old and spares are getting hard to find. We use that as the second ring when we are away. Once lit and warmed up it's actually better then the newer ones but the newer ones are easier to use.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I use a coleman feather 442 which is the same burner as the 533 but the fuel tank is slightly thinner and taller whereas the 533 is shorter and dumpier. A bit like me and Raymo really :)
smooth talker :)
just use unleaded.. not had any probs ,

have a Primus 71..too. now that mother is mental!!!!

Lighting a 71 - YouTube

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
you lot are heathens.

Yes it can take a while to boil a kettle from cold but if you are into slow cooking a decent evening meal, a nice gentle burner can really help give the flavours time to infuse.

Not that I expect you lot to understand.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Runs on Diesel, Gasoline, Kersone and even Jet Fuel...
What are these like to light on the heavier fuels? I've got a Coleman that runs on unleaded, but I like the idea of a multifuel.

I also have an original WW2 US Army Issue Coleman stove. Runs on unleaded, but the stove packs away in the cooking pot, guaranteeing that everything you eat or drink tastes of petrol. Mmmmm, camping.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts